What did you do on your versys today? - Page 65 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 983Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1281 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Installed my seat riser; this design from @Rawkstar320 works a treat. Not 100% happy with the bolts I used; I'll replace them with bolts having 10mm heads. I need to clean that seat riser area...

EDIT: this is an excellent tutorial on how to install the riser upside down. See photo.

Clean install. Slightly dirty bike.

Here to learn.

Last edited by AmbientMoto; 10-23-2019 at 10:53 PM. Reason: humor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1282 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMoto View Post
Installed my seat riser; this design from @Rawkstar320 works a treat. Not 100% happy with the bolts I used; I'll replace them with bolts having 10mm heads. I need to clean that seat riser area...

Clean install. Slightly dirty bike.
You think YOUR bike is "dirty"...?

DSC00060 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #1283 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

I spent several hours working on BIG RED, getting it ready for a four or five day ride w/ a buddy, leaving Friday.

REALLY glad I did. I've been carrying a 12v air compressor under my seat for years, so I thought I would pull it out and confirm that it's functional.

GOOD thought, but when I pulled it out I saw that there was NO power cord OR air-hose.... I checked ALL the 'usual' places, but there was NONE.

Just started getting ready to head over to Walmart to buy another when I remembered having brought the one I'd made-up for my KLR... IF I could find it.

Looked where memory said it should be - and it was...!

And I HOPED to confirm that it's functional - and it IS! All is good....

onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #1284 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:56 PM

Garage
..."slightly dirty"... and now my seat riser is installed correctly .

Here to learn.
post #1285 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I spent several hours working on BIG RED, getting it ready for a four or five day ride w/ a buddy, leaving Friday.

REALLY glad I did. I've been carrying a 12v air compressor under my seat for years, so I thought I would pull it out and confirm that it's functional.

GOOD thought, but when I pulled it out I saw that there was NO power cord OR air-hose.... I checked ALL the 'usual' places, but there was NONE. ....
Woke up, middle of the night, for a "pee-break", then thought of another POSSIBLE "hiding place" for the missing stuff from that "12v air compressor under my seat" all these years, and (HOPEFULLY!!!) made a 'mental-note' to check there once I really woke up, later.

Woke up, got out of bed, then put the garbage cans out by the road (from in the garage), then grabbed a step-ladder, and put it where I'd had the mental-note to check.... FIRST thing I touched was the container w/ ALL THAT MISSING STUFF in it!

After breakfast I confirmed that it was functional, and installed IT rather than the 'old' KLR compressor...!

-

All set NOW for an 0700 departure tomorrow!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #1286 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
OK... This was the day before yesterday, but it's still... A thing that happened on my Versys.

I was working on my wife's car on my day off. I took her to work in and let the car cool off before I started in on the exhaust system.

By the time her work day was over, the car wasn't done and the jeep was out with one of the kids, so that left the bike to pick her up with.

She hasn't been on for a few months now, and was pretty nervous about it.

So, I washed up and headed over. As I made a full-lock U-turn to kick back into the only remaining parking spot, I lost too much momentum and dropped the bike.

In front of the entire school (where my wife works).

Killed the engine, hopped off and picked the bike up quickly. Only damage was a fresh mark on the exhaust heat shield from when I dropped it last year.
dadsafrantic and SteveJ like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #1287 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 12:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
OK... This was the day before yesterday, but it's still... A thing that happened on my Versys.

I was working on my wife's car on my day off. I took her to work in and let the car cool off before I started in on the exhaust system.

By the time her work day was over, the car wasn't done and the jeep was out with one of the kids, so that left the bike to pick her up with.

So, I washed up and headed over. As I made a full-lock U-turn to kick back into the only remaining parking spot, I lost too much momentum and dropped the bike.

Killed the engine, hopped off and picked the bike up quickly. Only damage was a fresh mark on the exhaust heat shield from when I dropped it last year.
i love doing stuff like that with an audience. i have had a few gas station tips. always in the hood to everyone's amusement.
52Degrees likes this.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #1288 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post

It's always cool to have an audience when you show off.

My only drop on this bike was this past summer on a forest road in CO. No witnesses except the flora and fauna. A little loose sand/silt on a hard rock base in a bit of a depression caused my right foot to slide while coming to a stop. No apparent damage except for a light scuff on the LT saddle bag. I'm sure the T-Rex "crash" bar helped along with the turn signal mount clip removal to avoid more damage along with the fact that I was at a dead stop when it happened.
52Degrees likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #1289 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Finished binge watching "Long Way Round" again. If you haven't seen it, drop everything and watch it now.

Also went for a 2 hour ride just for fun as a recovery from several crazy weeks at work Had to run the heated jacket and gloves for the first hour in the higher elevations (7000+ ft). The weather couldn't have been nicer. The ski areas all have enough snow for the trails to be solid white, but the roads are still dry and clean. After getting home I did some minor maintenance and washed the bike.
52Degrees likes this.
post #1290 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 11:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Finished binge watching "Long Way Round" again. If you haven't seen it, drop everything and watch it now.

Also went for a 2 hour ride just for fun as a recovery from several crazy weeks at work Had to run the heated jacket and gloves for the first hour in the higher elevations (7000+ ft). The weather couldn't have been nicer. The ski areas all have enough snow for the trails to be solid white, but the roads are still dry and clean. After getting home I did some minor maintenance and washed the bike.
I've seen Long Way Round and Long Way Down. Seriously looking forward to Long Way Up (presumed), but I'm not sure those Harleys will make the trip.
Fly-Sig likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #1291 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 08:40 AM

Last washing for this year, and putting my baby on winter sleep.
Bad weather is coming so I am done for this year.
52Degrees likes this.

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving
post #1292 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 05:55 PM

Change my filter & oil, put in synthetic. Now ready for my Winter rides to work. Degreased & lube chain.Full inspection of all nut & bolts. So far two days riding in the mid 30ties* F . Next long trip not until April. Work work work
dadsafrantic and 52Degrees like this.
post #1293 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 06:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modene View Post
Change my filter & oil, put in synthetic. Now ready for my Winter rides to work. Degreased & lube chain.Full inspection of all nut & bolts. So far two days riding in the mid 30ties* F . Next long trip not until April. Work work work
I've got similar temps to look forward to this week.
dadsafrantic likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #1294 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I finally got around to installing my Stebel Nautilus Compact Mini Air Horn (11690019).

Longest part was trying to figure out where to mount it. I wanted to mount it where water splashing from the front wheel wouldn't directly enter the horn openings. I thought it could fit in the front headlight cowling (Gen 3), but the horn is too big. I have a California bike, so the left wing is occupied with the charcoal canister. Finally decided on mounting it to one of the T-Rex engine guard brackets (not to the engine guards) on the left side, lower half of the engine guards. It's tucked away and safe from harm.

I also got some timer delay relay circuit boards, this is so I can control two horns with the single horn button. So, I can use the stock horn for the first half second to meep meep someone, before the loud air horn kicks in a half second to a second later if you hold down the horn button. But, it got too dark in the driveway. So, I just disconnected the factory horn and tapped into the end of the OEM horn wiring connectors for the air horn relay. I'll work in the timer delay board another weekend.

I also got the Kisan Electronics - pathBlazer (P115W-H7) headlight modulator installed to the high beam bulb. I'll get the cagers attention with the flashing high beams on my commutes to work when I'm 'lane sharing' through traffic. Easy install, just had to figure out where to put the daylight sensor. Found a good spot on the dash and drilled a small hole to flush mount the sensor.
onewizard likes this.

post #1295 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 12:50 PM

Garage
Not quite finished the air horn install. I have some split loom on order from AMZ to hide the 14 ga. colored wiring. The air horn relay is under the left wing.

Drilled a 3/8" hole into one of the steel brackets supporting the T-Rex engine guard. Used the supplied mounting bolt to mount the air horn to the bracket. Should be out of the splash area of the front wheel.

If you're wondering what that black 90-degree connector is, it's the remote air intake for the horn. Going to put a hose and route it to under the seat for clean air, to prevent it ingesting dust from off-roading.

Tucked in and out of the way. Worked really well on the commute this morning. Got the attention of distracted cagers.

For AmbientMoto, my 3D printed seat spacer. Got my bolts from Home Depot.
chid likes this.

Last edited by REDHORSECA; 11-08-2019 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Fixed broken picture links
post #1296 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 11:36 PM

moved my garmin 660lm mount from my klr that im selling to the new versys and got it wired up and working. took about 2 hours this afternoon. from starting to remove from one bike to wired and working and buttoned up on the other. not a bad way to spend a few hours off work.
post #1297 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 03:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDHORSECA View Post

For AmbientMoto, my 3D printed seat spacer. Got my bolts from Home Depot.

Now there's the proper way to install it...

Here to learn.
post #1298 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 03:16 PM

Garage
Today, I looked at it lovingly as I passed it and got into my car. Because stupid Murphy and his laws dictated that the weather would be perfect on my work-from-home days last week and this week, and there would be the possibility of storms for my ride home. I'm starting to twitch.
post #1299 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 03:32 PM

Garage
Rode down to Chattanooga to have lunch with my sister; stopped by Sequoyah on the way back to see the plant. Was hoping for a better vantage point but it's hard to get a clear photo. Over the 300 or so miles, which included a decent amount of stop and go traffic and mountain twists/elevation changes, mileage was 48mpg. Didn't use 6th much at all.

The Versys felt much more manageable than my previous (DL650). Much more fun as well. Made me want to do a long trip.

The seat riser from @Rawkstar320 made a HUGE difference. Didn't have that forward/squished feeling at all.

I also was trying out the generic DR650 pegs I installed a few days ago. I like the larger platform but the vibes were noticeably worse. I only stood a few times so I'll most likely switch them back if going on a longer pavement ride. Or perhaps there's a way to isolate them a bit more.

New radiator cap solved the bubbling/gurgling issues.

The Ascerbis handguards that came with the bike are a bit lacking in coverage; I'll replace them with a guard that attaches at two points and affords more vertical coverage.

Sequoyah Nuclear Plant...

Random stop at Chicamauga Lake...

A nice regional airport on the way...
16VGTIDave likes this.

Here to learn.
post #1300 of 1386 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Washed BIG RED after her 1420 mile ride over the last four days, 25 to 28 Oct. Watch for a ride report w/ pics....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode