What did you do on your versys today? - Page 56 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 744Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1101 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:48 AM

I did that thing where you remove all the dirt and road grime, oh ya its called washing! I had a screen full of bugs and junk from two months with no bath. She's clean and ready for a weekend trip.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
rsherman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1102 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:08 AM

A good day on the Versys, today. Ran a couple errands, including buying a relay so I can install the USB charger/voltmeter that should be coming sometime this week. Went and did some informal skills building with people who know the MOST test inside out, helping me get ready for when I take the P test in about 6 weeks, and then a ride to USA Foods, who've been having a 25% off, 4th of July sale. Unfortunately, they were pretty cleaned out. Still a fun day on the bike!
onewizard and Jake Wheelie like this.
post #1103 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherman View Post
Went out to pick up a few, small groceries that we needed for dinner, last night. My first ride on the Versys at night, and I have to say, I wasn't thrilled with the headlight (Gen 3, 2017 Versys). It felt like it was pointed down at too steep an angle to ride more than 50 kph - which is certainly partly because I'm not very confident on the bike, yet, but I'm going to angle the beam up, slightly, to see if that helps. If not, I'll start going through the many led light threads, to see what my options are.
When ready for light upgrade look in the how to forum, here is a few links https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onversion.html
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onversion.html
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ki-others.html
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-g-others.html
rsherman likes this.

post #1104 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Despite the forecast showing heavy rain w/ thunderstorms, I decided to take the pics (8 x 11") of my "drag-bike article" to the dealer who plans to add them to his "Wall of Fame".

On the ride over to West Kelowna I could see rain over Peachland, dark clouds everywhere, but I only got a few drops on me as I stopped at the Kawi shop. Barry (the owner) was really pleased w/ the pics,

I found ONE original B&W picture, so I scanned it too, and here it is:

and told me his plans for the display, then asked if I knew "Crazy George" while passing me another old "Cycle Canada" w/ George's pic. I explained that I rode in enduros in Quebec w/ George, (in the QTRF - Quebec Trail Riders Federation - of which MANY members had participated in the ISDT [Internat'l Six Days Trial]) and planned to drop in on him on the ride home, so he passed me that old magazine saying "Give it to George from me."

I 'saddled-up', light rain falling, then took the scenic route to the Bennett Bridge across Lake Okanagan, over to George's shop where we chatted and I gave him the magazine, before heading home in light rain. [Just after I got home it began to POUR, which continued most of the night....]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg *WildThing1copy.jpg (57.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg *WildThing4copy.jpg (61.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg WildThing1A copy.jpg (43.9 KB, 7 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #1105 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:05 PM

I see the man that got all the pretty local girls back then.

Nice. Lots of fun open roads back then with few cops probably?

Glad you had a good ride.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
post #1106 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:05 PM

Garage

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #1107 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

I put some riding-gear that's "surplus" to my needs right now, into a local buy & sell online.

Got a phone call message yesterday morning that 'someone' was driving down to have a look (from about 1.5 to 2 hours N of Kelowna). I looked at other items I haven't worn recently, and figured I had more to sell, so mentally added them to my list.

Car pulls up about 4PM, and out jumps a fellow, his wife, then TWO teen-aged sons. Became clear pretty quickly that the dad is a fire-fighter, and that #1 son just bought a motorcycle (yesterday...!). Dad was sayin' you can't ride it till you're ATGATT, so they came down to look at an armored riding jacket and pants for the son.

I had two jackets in the advert - an ICON mesh one as well as a normal three season jacket, plus a pair of pants, AND a Tecnik one-piece rain suit. But, in addition - I was NOW adding ANOTHER mesh jacket, a two-piece rain-suit, and armored riding pants as available TOO.

The son tried on the "mesh one as well as the normal three season jacket", plus the pants, then thought that THAT mesh jacket was TOO expensive, so I hauled out the OTHER mesh jacket (that I had just added to the 'list') which fit him well, but not very happy w/ the pants, so AGAIN I grabbed the second pair of pants. They fit fine w/ the added benefit that the pants zippered to the rear of BOTH jackets!

They were all happy, dad working on a package deal for the two jackets and pants, the two-piece rain-suit, then asked IF I had any helmets available. I grabbed a BELL helmet that I'd retired a year or two back, handed it to the son - it FIT great - so dad was now working on a deal for FOUR pieces of gear and named a price which was quite acceptable,(in the back of my mind was a thought that I would add a pair of Tecnik leather gloves that I'd 'side-lined' a couple of years back) so I said "SOLD - and IF these gloves fit, and are suitable - I'll throw them into the deal!"

The son's smile filled the garage, he shook my hand while dad handed me the ca$h, saying that they NEVER thought they could get EVERYTHING he needed in one deal!

GREAT helping a young fellow while clearing out some gear.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 07-08-2019 at 02:14 PM.
post #1108 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:07 PM

Glad that you were able to get rid of that stuff and give them such a good deal. Nice.

I rode the Versys-X 300 to downtown Manhattan to 18th St and 8th Ave. I don't like Manhattan much, too many yuppies and broken streets but I had to go to meet my teenage sister for an appointment. She disappeared before I got there and so I decided to meet a friend by 33rd St across from Madison Square Garden to eat at "Little Italy" pizza. They're not Italian people at all. They're these Middle Eastern guys but they make interesting pizza with a crust that has some kind of seeds. I wish I would have taken my wife for the ride had I knew my sister was going to do that. She's trouble. Lol. But I met up with my co-worker in front of that pizza place in what would normally be no-man's land for a car and left the Versys right next to these stone barriers and planters they have for what's supposed to be a bicycle lane which is a joke because it's filled with pedestrians. I wish they'd make a motorcycle lane. It ended up being a decent ride to and from the Bronx to the depths of Manhattan. Here are some pics:

kiwicraig likes this.

Last edited by Jake Wheelie; 07-09-2019 at 04:32 PM.
post #1109 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Rode over to my wife's "community garden" to water it (and a neighbor's too).

I park the Versys on the road, on the white line between the bicycle lane and the walking lane, but today the local by-law officer stopped and hailed me to tell me he'll give me a ticket IF I don't move it, so I did.

Oh well....

Jake Wheelie likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #1110 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:33 PM

Commuted to work, for the first time. Good ride, came in early to stay out of rush hour traffic (which means I'll be going home before rush hour as well), just enough traffic to keep the pace down over roads that I didn't know yet, and plenty early enough so there were still free motorcycle spots in our parking garage.
Jake Wheelie likes this.
post #1111 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Rode over to my wife's "community garden" to water it (and a neighbor's too).

I park the Versys on the road, on the white line between the bicycle lane and the walking lane, but today the local by-law officer stopped and hailed me to tell me he'll give me a ticket IF I don't move it, so I did.

Oh well....

There usually aren't meter maids over where I left the bike in that Manhattan pic. We need friendlier motorcycle parking laws definitely. I love to be able to leave the bike on the sidewalk or somewhere tucked away to the side. I'd love to see those meter maid people fired.

post #1112 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Commuted to work, for the first time. Good ride, came in early to stay out of rush hour traffic (which means I'll be going home before rush hour as well), just enough traffic to keep the pace down over roads that I didn't know yet, and plenty early enough so there were still free motorcycle spots in our parking garage.
Wow what city are you in? Sounds nice.

post #1113 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Wheelie View Post
Wow what city are you in? Sounds nice.

Sydney, in NSW, Australia.
onewizard and Jake Wheelie like this.
post #1114 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Sydney, in NSW, Australia.
Niiiiice! I've never been there but it looks like such a nice place with weather to match.

post #1115 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:13 PM

I went with my wife to get tacos. We always park next to the truck itself. The guy who delivers has an E-scooter who still has a space to park next to me when he comes back. They all know me because of the Versys.

onewizard and rsherman like this.

Last edited by Jake Wheelie; 07-10-2019 at 02:15 PM.
post #1116 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Niiiiice! I've never been there but it looks like such a nice place with weather to match.
It's definitely great weather for riding. It's the middle of winter, here, but I think the coldest it's been has been around 5 C, which for me, having grown up in NJ, is perfectly fine riding weather.
post #1117 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
It's definitely great weather for riding. It's the middle of winter, here, but I think the coldest it's been has been around 5 C, which for me, having grown up in NJ, is perfectly fine riding weather.
Wow so you know the New York metro area. 5C is like 40 degrees or so. That's the coldest more or less I can live with that.

post #1118 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Wow so you know the New York metro area. 5C is like 40 degrees or so. That's the coldest more or less I can live with that.
Oh yeah, I know it well. Used to be in NYC on a daily basis.
Jake Wheelie likes this.
post #1119 of 1119 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:17 PM

Got the Versys all prepped for a road trip. Leaving Boston tomorrow for Milwaukee, WI. Will make my overnight stop in Niagara Falls, ON.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode