What did you do on your versys today? - Page 51 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 836Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1001 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Your V looks like a "star-wars" storm-trooper...!

Alpha One Nine likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1002 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Nine View Post
I think I have finally found the right LED lights for me.

I need to get them tucked in a little tighter.

Man they aren't very bright
post #1003 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Man they aren't very bright

Rick

post #1004 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Just Like Daylight

Quote:
That is a very large pattern, notice how bright it is above the light switches, what are you running for your OEM headlight??
post #1005 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
That is a very large pattern, notice how bright it is above the light switches, what are you running for your OEM headlight??
Yes it's a 'Combo Beam' pattern. I'm using the stock bulbs in the headlights for now and they are not lit in that pic. I plan to upgrade them eventually too. I may try some Philips 'RacingVision' H7 bulbs. I have the H4 bulbs ordered for my 4Runner as that too is getting a lighting makeover for this year's camping season. These LED lights will be used mainly for rural night time riding as they may be a bit much for DRL use but we'll see. I'm looking for a handlebar mount type SPDT rocker switch so I can link the relay to the high beam circuit for quick shut off or run them independent of the OEM lighting.

Rick

Last edited by Alpha One Nine; 04-24-2019 at 04:15 PM.
post #1006 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

2015 650 Versys

Quote:
Yes it's a 'Combo Beam' pattern. I'm using the stock bulbs in the headlights for now and they are not lit in that pic. I plan to upgrade them eventually too. I may try some Philips 'RacingVision' H7 bulbs. I have the H4 bulbs ordered for my 4Runner as that too is getting a lighting makeover for this year's camping season. These LED lights will be used mainly for rural night time riding as they may be a bit much for DRL use but we'll see. I'm looking for a handlebar mount type SPDT rocker switch so I can link the relay to the high beam circuit for quick shut off or run them independent of the OEM lighting.
Quick question, how do you turn them on now? As you could very easily accomplish this with a $0.70 diode from the headlight high beam positive wire to the relay coil circuit. The cathode ( silver band ) will go to the positive coil circuit of the relay, the anode to your positive high beam light, this is all easily accessible in front. So if you have a single pole switch for the relay, adding the diode allows the OEM high beam switch to enable the relay. I use IN4007 , but any 1 amp rated 100 PIV or greater is fine, the 4007 is rated 1000 Volts @ 1 amp, if you are going this way, I would suggest buying 2 diodes, one is placed in reverse across the coil , this helps to reduce the high voltage produced by the coil circuit collapsing and also speeds up the turning off of the coil ( this is referred as a free wheeling diode https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode)

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...d-led-polarity

Last edited by onewizard; 04-24-2019 at 06:07 PM.
post #1007 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quick question, how do you turn them on now?
I have a handlebar mounted SPST rocker switch I use to turn them on and off when the accessory circuit has power.
I have a bunch of 1N4004 diodes and I put one across every relay coil I touch.
Will the diode between the high beam and relay coil allow me to turn the LEDs off even when the high beams are on and vice versa?

With a double throw switch (with center OFF position)
Position 1: Energize the relay directly from the accessory power circuit.
Position 2: OFF (no contact)
Position 3: Energize the relay only when the high beams are on.

Rick

Last edited by Alpha One Nine; 04-24-2019 at 06:46 PM.
post #1008 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Raised windshield above stops. Seems to be less buffeting and I am more comfortable riding with visor open when I want. Win Win except for more dead bugs on inside of windshield.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS.jpg (45.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Zenner; 04-26-2019 at 11:25 AM.
post #1009 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:58 PM

Garage
Wow, I was just thinking about doing this!
How do you like it?

Media, PA
Versys 650ABS/ 2017
post #1010 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:12 PM

For some reason it took me two years to make this simple, free change. I'm happy with the effect and plan to keep it this way.

Home Depot 60 Hitch Pin Clip
post #1011 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:27 PM

Garage
Moved it.

I moved the V out of the way to give the KLR some love today.

Since I have had lighting on my mind lately I decided to mount some cheap flood beam light bars I bought to the hand guards.

Back to the Versys tomorrow to relocate it's new LED lights.
Devilsfan likes this.

Rick
post #1012 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaDMP View Post
Wow, I was just thinking about doing this!
How do you like it?
Did the same, yes reduced buffeting, but I then had restricted close up road vision, so moved it back. I don't like it when the plastic gets hot on a bright day, distortion occurs so like I said, have it set at maximum vertical, that change raises it about 1.5 to 2.5 inches .

post #1013 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:44 PM

Cleaning up the bike getting ready to sell it. Put the factory hard cases on this morning to take some pictures and went for a kind of good bye ride.
WOW I forgot how completely different the bike is at speed with them on. Tons of vibes from 65-80mph. Not anything serious, just some vibes in the handlebars. Went away after 85mph.

I think other then the ride home from the dealer Ive only had them on the bike twice before today. Even long weekend trips Ive always got by with a backpack.

Should be picking up the new bike next week. Know I'm going to miss the V, such a fantastic bike. But time for something a bit bigger (super Tenere).
Devilsfan likes this.
post #1014 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:05 PM

Replaced the rear spools and cleaned the chain today. Noticed that my OEM wheels were a bit squared off, still rideable but noticeable.
bwag1961 likes this.

post #1015 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Replaced the rear spools and cleaned the chain today. Noticed that my OEM wheels were a bit squared off, still rideable but noticeable.
Same tire condition. My son tells me I need to take more curvy roads......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Turk likes this.
post #1016 of 1228 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Did the same, yes reduced buffeting, but I then had restricted close up road vision, so moved it back. I don't like it when the plastic gets hot on a bright day, distortion occurs so like I said, have it set at maximum vertical, that change raises it about 1.5 to 2.5 inches....
When I rode across Canada (BOTH ways, in '17) I did it w/ the OEM windshield at its HIGHEST NORMAL position - that is NOT above the top screw position, and despite several days of pouring rain, it worked GREAT there! [BTW - 5'9", 31" inseam.]

Check this pic - I did NOT clean my helmet until I returned to Kelowna, so this shows 25 days of bug-guts ABOVE my line of vision!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-28-2019 at 04:50 PM.
post #1017 of 1228 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:58 PM

Garage
I installed a new switch for the LED driving lights.

Three position switches. I only needed one but this is what I found. Now I need to add another thing to control I guess.

Position 1: ON if key is on.
Position 2: OFF
Position 3: ON only if high beams are on.

16VGTIDave and Pekes17 like this.

Rick
post #1018 of 1228 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Link to Website ?

Quote:
I installed a new switch for the LED driving lights.

Three position switches. I only needed one but this is what I found. Now I need to add another thing to control I guess.

Position 1: ON if key is on.
Position 2: OFF
Position 3: ON only if high beams are on.
With any post, a bit more detail, I assume the common goes to the led lights ( pin #2 Of my link for SPDT toggle sw. ) , position 1 is your keyed source ( pin #1 of my link SPDT ) , position 3 is from the high beam lights ( pin #3 of my link SPDT ). So your 3 position switch is a maintained

Toggle Switch Wiring

Your source and $$ would add to this post, along with more detail. As others may wish to go your route.

Last edited by onewizard; 05-03-2019 at 11:44 AM.
post #1019 of 1228 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
With any post, a bit more detail, I assume the common goes to the led lights ( pin #2 Of my link for SPDT toggle sw. ) , position 1 is your keyed source ( pin #1 of my link SPDT ) , position 3 is from the high beam lights ( pin #3 of my link SPDT ). So your 3 position switch is a maintained

Toggle Switch Wiring

Your source and $$ would add to this post, along with more detail. As others may wish to go your route.
Correct, common is connected the relay coil (+), position 1 is connected to OEM accessory circuit, position 3 is spliced into OEM high beam headlight (+) wire.
Source: Amazon
Cost: $19.99 US
I'll gladly answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Do you think adding the diode, as you mentioned in a previous post, between the high beam circuit and position 3 would still be a good idea in case of some freak switch failure?

Rick
post #1020 of 1228 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:48 PM

Garage
Today I worked on skills. Full lock serpentine and circles.

There are 3 water dept. covers spaced in a triangle half a block from my house. Not much traffic and the neighbors are all a little scared of me.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode