2015 V650 Rear Suspension? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
2015 V650 Rear Suspension?

Did a bunch of searches and most suspension talk is for the pre-2015 V650.

I was wondering what you guys suggest for the rear suspension on the 2015+ Versus 650. I am 160 Lbs and bumps in the road feel like a kick in the ass.

Any thoughts on the Hyperpro for the 2015+?
I also was wondering how people like the Progressive 465-1182. I already sent them an e-mail to see if it will fit the 2015+ V's.

I love the handling of the V, but just want the rear end to soak up the bumps better instead of my spine being the suspension.... Horrible..

Thanks guys!

2015 Versys 650LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
OHLIN is the best. I have a OHLIN from a Yamaha R1 and it is the best mod done on the bike. Look up my post on Ohlin Suspension.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by forester801 View Post
Did a bunch of searches and most suspension talk is for the pre-2015 V650.

I was wondering what you guys suggest for the rear suspension on the 2015+ Versus 650. I am 160 Lbs and bumps in the road feel like a kick in the ass.

Any thoughts on the Hyperpro for the 2015+?
I also was wondering how people like the Progressive 465-1182. I already sent them an e-mail to see if it will fit the 2015+ V's.

I love the handling of the V, but just want the rear end to soak up the bumps better instead of my spine being the suspension.... Horrible..

Thanks guys!
I would reduce rear preload by a notch or possibly two, before going to an expensive spring shock. See suspension setup how to videos on YouTube. You can get a big improvement on the Versys by setting sag correctly for your weight and then adjusting rebound damping to remove anything more than 1.5 bounces when bouncing the bike. That is in a big bounce the bike should go down, come back up, and perhaps just start to go back down again. Anything more requires more rebound damping. See HowTo videos, there are lots to be found on this subject.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-09-2017 at 10:39 AM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I already setup the front end, The front is good to go and like the stock suspension setup for me. As far as I know there is zero adjustments on the rear shock other than preload which is already all the way out. I WISH the 2015+ had compression damping settings, but for the price of the bike you can't have it all I guess. I'm not new to bikes, suspension, etc, I was mainly looking for an opinion on a progressive shock, or the hyperpro spring. My bike to me feels a tad oversprung on the rear end and compression damping a little too stiff, Rebound damping seems just fine.

2015 Versys 650LT
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
A lot of us have used Yamaha R1 shocks (require a BIT of work to fit), and they are GREAT!

quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I already setup the front end, The front is good to go and like the stock suspension setup for me. As far as I know there is zero adjustments on the rear shock other than preload which is already all the way out. I WISH the 2015+ had compression damping settings, but for the price of the bike you can't have it all I guess. I'm not new to bikes, suspension, etc, I was mainly looking for an opinion on a progressive shock, or the hyperpro spring. My bike to me feels a tad oversprung on the rear end and compression damping a little too stiff, Rebound damping seems just fine.
I'm 165 and felt the same thing with the factory setting of 1 click in from full out.
Going softer won't help with the pogoing in back. Start going harder. I went 3 clicks in from full soft and it worked great.
1 1/5 in front from full in also works better for me in front.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
as the op wrote, preload changes nothing to this problem.
there is nothing to do but change the shock.

(and the front is not better as it lack compression damping).

one minor solution it to add weight... in luggage, not fat...!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Does anyone know of any direct bolt on shock for the Versys 650LT? If not, What year R1 Shock did you use fasted...?

2015 Versys 650LT
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Does anyone know of any direct bolt on shock for the Versys 650LT? If not, What year R1 Shock did you use fasted...?
I can't remember, but I believe '03 to '08 (there was a Technical Thread on 'doing' the R1 shock - try SEARCH). IT'S THE '07 AND '08 R1 SHOCKS that work!

Here's one in the FOR SALE section of the Forum, and I've seen others including an OHLINS:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...reservior.html

W/ Gen 3s - you MIGHT need to cut the piece that holds the "remote-adjuster" off the frame - see my article on installing an R1 shock, but ONLY IF the new shock has a reservoir like the R1:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...3-install.html

Once you get it done - you'll LOVE it!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-12-2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: R1 shock years CORRECTED!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Last Question, Does anyone know if the Pre-2015 Versys suspension bolts right on the 2015+?

If so I am just going to get a Progressive suspension shock for direct bolt on.

2015 Versys 650LT
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I am 155 lbs. My 2015 V650 softened up after a couple thousand miles. There is a noticeable softening of the ride and lowering of the rear when I had the luggage mounted and a few pounds in them. If you don't have many miles on your bike yet, you might just wait for a little while. Or, put the luggage on and carry around 10 lbs of tools.

Or, let 10 lbs of air out of the tires ... No, don't try that on the paved roads. But it does work for off-road riding to un-air (dis-air? de-air?) them down to 25-28 psi. It reduces the harshness dramatically.

Last edited by Fly-Sig; 05-11-2017 at 03:46 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
2007 & 2008

Quote:
2007 & 2008 R1 rear shock. I have done it and can tell you that it is a very good mod.
Note: It is not a direct bolt on. See Ed's useful links.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Last Question, Does anyone know if the Pre-2015 Versys suspension bolts right on the 2015+?

If so I am just going to get a Progressive suspension shock for direct bolt on.
AS LONG AS it doesn't have the extra-reservoir like an R1 shock has, it should just bolt in.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 12:53 PM

I have Hyper Pro shocks on one of my BMWs, purchased from EPM Performance. They sell a "street box" for the Versys. Ted Porter's shop (Google him) is a great source too. I bought some Yacugar shocks from him for my other BMW. He'll gladly walk you thru options over the phone.

I prefer the straight rate springs over the progressive Hyper Pros, but both are a huge improvement over stock ones on my bikes.

Watching this thread because at 160 lbs. I'm experience the same as the OP with stock Versys suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode