Low seat - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Low seat

Hey everyone! I've been reading everything there is about lower seat heights. I DO NOT want to lower the suspension on my '09 V, and would like to decrease the seat height by at least an inch. I am definitely vertically challenged at 5'7", 175lbs, 30" inseam, so an inch lower might as well be a foot! Are the aftermarket saddles truly lower? Corbin, Sargeant, Seat Concepts? Will I be disappointed, and waste my money if I buy aftermarket? Visually, all are an upgrade, but are they truly lower? What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:51 PM

while I am a few inches taller than you with the same inseam, I too have an issue flat footing it ... I am looking at the seat concepts "low" cover .... I am not sure how much 1" under stock makes a difference .... I refer you to post #7 on this thread . http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...l-version.html

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....

Last edited by whiting57; 05-08-2017 at 09:00 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:12 PM

My wife just purchased the Seat Concepts one inch lower and absolutely loves it. She's also 5'7" and can now flat-foot it. Highly recommended.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
you can shape the original seat to match your height and much cheaper. You may look at LOW SEAT at a much later time when you have confirmed direction to head on the seat matter.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
"Took an angle grinder to the seat...

......but it is much lower and it does not pitch forward anymore! Whether it will be comfy on a long ride remains to be seen!!!

https://goo.gl/photos/QeZXW1y6F3LNu22t6

Just a few comments regarding the process....

Removing the seat cover is easy.

Peel back the rider seat foam - it is only glued at the front.

Be very careful with the angle grinder/wire brush, it works really well but only use VERY light strokes as it can (and did) catch once and took off some foam I did not want to remove!

I used a hole saw to enlarge the small hole under your spine - I am told it works well and is helpful

The seat foam is very soft and squidgy... and very thick. I removed LOADS... (from the underside) leaving a 2.5 in air gap under the seat foam / seat pan. I partially filled this with much denser (at least 2X) closed cell foam but left a 1.5in air gap. I made a bum shape similar to an old tractor seat. The denser foam was glued in place and feathered with the grinder.

The top of the seat foam was not touched at all.

The result is a much lower seat (1.5 inch) with less but layered denser foam. I hope it will be enough. If not, it is easy to modify. The larger hole in the seat pan relieves a bit of stress on the bottom of the spine and the denser foam spreads the load a bit. When sat on, it feels more like I am sitting in it rather than on it and I feel more upright. The sliding forward sensation has gone because the rear has been drastically lowered.

I have also bought an Air Hawk cushion as "insurance" and I had that in mind when I removed so much foam. The addition of the Air Hawk should not increase the seat height above stock now.

Anyway, it is an easy job and quite enjoyable.. I need to buy some stainless staples to finish it off but if needed I will happily repeat the process with different foam.

I shall report back with results! Time will tell if it works...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Done the same and have a soft Jel insert which is good for long tours. So far after years of rides all is good.
Duffy likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Did the vinyl seat cover stretch and contour to the newly shaved foam? I'm up to trying to modify my existing seat, but always find myself in a rush. I don't want to produce a baggy pant look.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbSchultz1971 View Post
Did the vinyl seat cover stretch and contour to the newly shaved foam? I'm up to trying to modify my existing seat, but always find myself in a rush. I don't want to produce a baggy pant look.
It looks exactly the same as it did before I removed the foam but it squishes down "more" when sat on. The vinyl can be stretched before stapleing and I guess when the weather gets hotter it may look a bit slack but so far so good.

The "gap" is at the bottom of the foam so as far as appearances go the top looks exactly the same. It just rebounds back to shape when I get off.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:11 AM

I re-shaped (lowered almost down to the pan) the seat and inserted a 3/4" gel pad as mentioned above (it mostly sits on the pan). In addition I added 1" of high density foam (carpet pad) to the front 6-8" of the seat and then sculpted that into the seat shape (prevents the dreaded front slope). When you're done and satisfied with the seat shape cover the entire section with 1/4" low density foam which when covered with the vinyl hides the little imperfections that you left. When re-stretching the vinyl it's best to do it in the sunlight, the higher heat the better as it allows the vinyl to stretch onto the new shape. Mine is quite comfortable for around $90. The main cost is the gel pad.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had an upholstery shop do the job, and they took out a huge amount of foam from the drivers saddle area and some from the sides where the inside of your thighs touch thus making the width less near the front. It looks almost exactly the same as the stock OEM, but it effectively lowered the seat over an inch. In addition, with the decreased width, it is effectively like a 2" difference. Beware that if you screw with the seat and the padding, Seat Concepts will not accept the seat to work on.

If you have not heard, the Versys seat is just like a cheap hotel - No Ballroom. So, when you start removing foam near the front of the seat, you might exacerbate the problem. I don't have one, but have been told that the Sargent, and probably the other "lowered" sets help alleviate this somewhat. While I had foam taken out, I have always raised the front of the seat slightly by putting in 2 or 3 washers under the front open clamp that the seat affixes too, this being the small assembly that holds down the back of the gas tank. You can search this site to see that one of the new members at the end of last year started crafting a small attachment with his 3D printer that helps with this issue. In other words, it lifts the seat slightly at the front to keep your works from being crammed into the gas tank. This sounds counterintuitive to having the seat lowered, and you may not need this fix if you get one of the actual "lowered" seats.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Because of my short inseam I first got the Speedy lowering link...While it was a great help..being a newbie and a bit unsure of my "footing" so I got the Sargent's low seat too...Add a pair of thick soled (Sidi) boots and I'm flat footed...I love my Sargents seat..especially on multiple day rides...With over 3 years on the bike..I can ride her with the OEM seat no problems...I also got the seat riser from the fellow in the For Sale area and it helps a bunch in comfort...If you're new to the Versys..keep your knees tight to the tank when downshifting or hard braking and save those nads...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
in all my years of making/ redoing VW seats i found the BEST tool for foam carving has been the electric turkey carver... i was guilty of every time id find one at good will id pick it up and had like 8 or 9 of them that i reshaped the blades for, and they go thru the foam like butter and make it easy to shape

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:38 PM

Can't go wrong with the Seat concepts. I love mine.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 09:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to SmoothRoad
Sargent World Sport Low seat for V650

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbSchultz1971 View Post
Hey everyone! I've been reading everything there is about lower seat heights. I DO NOT want to lower the suspension on my '09 V, and would like to decrease the seat height by at least an inch. I am definitely vertically challenged at 5'7", 175lbs, 30" inseam, so an inch lower might as well be a foot! Are the aftermarket saddles truly lower? Corbin, Sargeant, Seat Concepts? Will I be disappointed, and waste my money if I buy aftermarket? Visually, all are an upgrade, but are they truly lower? What are your thoughts?
I'm 5'7" too and have ordered the Sargent World Sport Low seat for my 2016 V650. (I don't like the lowering kit option which requires cutting the side stand and sure don't want to carve up my stock seat.) I'll post my impressions when the seat arrives.

Additionally, I've found adding a second sole to my Redwing wedge sole boots to be a major help. I now have "double soles" on these guys, which gives me an additional 5/8" inch in the heel area and 3/8" in the front. Makes a big difference.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothRoad View Post
I'm 5'7" too and have ordered the Sargent World Sport Low seat for my 2016 V650. (I don't like the lowering kit option which requires cutting the side stand and sure don't want to carve up my stock seat.) I'll post my impressions when the seat arrives.

Additionally, I've found adding a second sole to my Redwing wedge sole boots to be a major help. I now have "double soles" on these guys, which gives me an additional 5/8" inch in the heel area and 3/8" in the front. Makes a big difference.
you can get an after market kick stand if you dont want to cut yours... mine was done befor i got the bike and ive never had any trouble with the kickstand and i will time to time spin the bike on it.... so who ever welded it did a good job (and you could take yours to almost any metal shop and have them cut and weld yours for you and even have them weld on a bigger plate so it cant sink in if you plan to ever park off the road

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 06:47 PM

after market side stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
you can get an after market kick stand if you dont want to cut yours... mine was done befor i got the bike and ive never had any trouble with the kickstand and i will time to time spin the bike on it.... so who ever welded it did a good job (and you could take yours to almost any metal shop and have them cut and weld yours for you and even have them weld on a bigger plate so it cant sink in if you plan to ever park off the road
I thought about getting one of those custom aluminum stands from Soupy's. They are really nice.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 08:01 PM

I just got the Sargent low seat yesterday. First, it is definitely lower than the stock seat, 1 inch lower at the lowest point. Secondly, it is 1" wider than the stock seat at the widest point and is flat in the wide area rather than convex like the stock seat. Also, the front of the seat extends about 3/8" or so higher on the fuel tank than the stock, so there is no sliding forward as on the stock seat.

I had reservations about this seat since I once had a low seat on another motorcycle and didn't like it because it was too curved in the seating area. The Sargent seat does not have this problem.

I took a trip in the Texas Hill Country today to try out the Sargent. I spent two hours getting to my destination without dismounting and upon arrival felt no discomfort. On the return trip, it was also two hours without getting off. I felt a little discomfort but not more than I would expect after four hours of riding.

The wider and flatter seat gives more support. I still am not flat footing but I am lower, and it feels more stable at a stop.

Sargent allows 30 days for returns, but I will be keeping this seat.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 05:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothRoad View Post
I just got the Sargent low seat yesterday. First, it is definitely lower than the stock seat, 1 inch lower at the lowest point. Secondly, it is 1" wider than the stock seat at the widest point and is flat in the wide area rather than convex like the stock seat. Also, the front of the seat extends about 3/8" or so higher on the fuel tank than the stock, so there is no sliding forward as on the stock seat.

I had reservations about this seat since I once had a low seat on another motorcycle and didn't like it because it was too curved in the seating area. The Sargent seat does not have this problem.

I took a trip in the Texas Hill Country today to try out the Sargent. I spent two hours getting to my destination without dismounting and upon arrival felt no discomfort. On the return trip, it was also two hours without getting off. I felt a little discomfort but not more than I would expect after four hours of riding.

The wider and flatter seat gives more support. I still am not flat footing but I am lower, and it feels more stable at a stop.

Sargent allows 30 days for returns, but I will be keeping this seat.
I've got my Sargent low seat coming in this week. I'm only 5'-7" with a 29" inseam, looking forward to trying it out.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 05:20 PM

Garage
I've had the Sargent low seat on for a week and a few hundred miles now. By far the best modification I've done to the V! The flatter back section doesn't fatigue me at all after an hour in traffic and coming to a stop is far easier with the extra foot contact being an inch lower. I have not noticed any discomfort as far as knee angle. Yes it's firmer than stock, but in a good way.

I highly recommend the Sargent seat!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
I've had the Sargent low seat on for a week and a few hundred miles now. By far the best modification I've done to the V! The flatter back section doesn't fatigue me at all after an hour in traffic and coming to a stop is far easier with the extra foot contact being an inch lower. I have not noticed any discomfort as far as knee angle. Yes it's firmer than stock, but in a good way.

I highly recommend the Sargent seat!
Cant wait, I ordered a regular, world modular for my Concours. I haven't received it yet. It's been a little over three weeks. How long did it take you to get yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode