Stock Seat Issue after 10miles - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Stock Seat Issue after 10miles

So I have ridden my fair share of sport bikes with stock seats, as well Harleys, Vulcans you name it. Guys, this has to be the most uncomfortable saddle stock or after market my butt has ever had the "pleasure" of sitting on. Although if I remember I think my Vulcan had a similar problem but not nearly as bad. my ZX10R had a very comfortable saddle. Both had stock seats.. I don't know.

I do know a lot of people complain of the slope of the seat, and personally I have zero issue with it, in fact it's probably the only thing keeping me from ditching this seat immediately for something else.
After about 10 miles my tailbone hurts soooo much. Am I the only person that feels this way? I slide forward in the saddle, I slide back, ride on one butt-cheek, I try slumping, I try sitting straight up and I can't escape the pain no matter what I do. I assume my only option is to ditch this in favor of an after-market saddle. Break-in wont help any will it? My wife loves the back saddle and I don't want to risk getting something different then she hates the back, plus I really don't want to spend the money right now on a saddle.

Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks!

-Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
All butts are different I guess............I modified my seat by re-sculpting the foam, adding a gel pad and building up the front with carpet pad foam. Except for the forward "slope" I didn't have any issues with the seat. I add a gel pad to every bike seat because the stock foam is usually too soft.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornlogic View Post
So I have ridden my fair share of sport bikes with stock seats, as well Harleys, Vulcans you name it. Guys, this has to be the most uncomfortable saddle stock or after market my butt has ever had the "pleasure" of sitting on. Although if I remember I think my Vulcan had a similar problem but not nearly as bad. my ZX10R had a very comfortable saddle. Both had stock seats.. I don't know.

I do know a lot of people complain of the slope of the seat, and personally I have zero issue with it, in fact it's probably the only thing keeping me from ditching this seat immediately for something else.
After about 10 miles my tailbone hurts soooo much. Am I the only person that feels this way? I slide forward in the saddle, I slide back, ride on one butt-cheek, I try slumping, I try sitting straight up and I can't escape the pain no matter what I do. I assume my only option is to ditch this in favor of an after-market saddle. Break-in wont help any will it? My wife loves the back saddle and I don't want to risk getting something different then she hates the back, plus I really don't want to spend the money right now on a saddle.

Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks!
There are a lot of options, just depends on what you want to spend. I just had the seat redone on my V1k. I didn't like the slope and kept sliding forward. I live about an hour away from Seat Concepts in San Jacinto, CA. They used the original seat pan and used memory foam and a new gripper top. The cash price was $180.00 out the door. You would have to send your seat out, probably cost you about 250 with shipping and whatever other fees. They have a website, just google Seat Concepts.

I also emailed Terry Adcock, they had good reviews. They make day long seats. Don't know too much about him. It looked like he had good reviews and there are members on here that have info on him. He takes all of June off and was pretty backed up.

There is Corbin which I hear is a harder seat. I hear you either love them or gate them. They are located in Gilroy and looks like they make pretty good stuff.

If you want to break the bank then look into the Russell Day Long. They looked top notch, but you are looking at 600-900 bucks.

I'm sure you will get some other responses and I know there have been other threads on this topic. Good luck!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
get an air hawk .your ass will love you... and i bet your wife like the seat for the same reason my roommate hates it... the little bump at the front of the passenger seat apply named the clit tickler by alot of sport bike riders... or known as the nut buster if your a male
BEACHBUM and chrisfla1 like this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh wow. I just checked out Terry Adcock's page. I like the options he offers. I didn't have it in my mind to spend any money on a saddle this season, but I might just change my mind after looking at some of his work. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Drew
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
get an air hawk .your ass will love you... and i bet your wife like the seat for the same reason my roommate hates it... the little bump at the front of the passenger seat apply named the clit tickler by alot of sport bike riders... or known as the nut buster if your a male
So you are talking about the cushion? Dude, i'm already balls of my feet at stop lights and whatnot. I can't afford to go any higher on my saddle... I'll me on my tippy toes if I did. Looks like a decent option if it didn't raise me up from stock position. Price is right.

-Drew
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
So you are talking about the cushion? Dude, i'm already balls of my feet at stop lights and whatnot. I can't afford to go any higher on my saddle... I'll me on my tippy toes if I did. Looks like a decent option if it didn't raise me up from stock position. Price is right.
Have you 'set' your sag yet?

I was "toes-only" until I set my sag (5'9.5", 31" inseam). NOW it's HIGH while I get ON, then as I 'settle' my weight (180# + ATGATT) I can flat-foot it, and that's on the '08 as well as the '15.

On my '08 I have a "Spencer Mod" seat, raised - he adds some different foam to replace the lowest half inch or so, and it works for me, but I'm not sure it's necessary, as the seat on the '15, raised, is otherwise stock.

In addition - I raised the front of the seat (9/16") on all three of my Vs VERY SHORTLY after getting them, and have NEVER had a comfort issue, and I do some LONG rides. I also had a Terry Adcock 'flat-seat' for a few months, but sold it and went back to the "Spencer Mod" seat for my '08. (OVER 130,000 MILES among the '08, '09 and '15 V 650s.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:42 PM

Sounds like you're having the classic ischial tuberosity ("sit bones") pain. Air Hawks are great, but like you said, they add a little to the seat height; at 5'9" I can't use my old Air Hawk on the Versys. A sheepskin seat pad (Alaska Leathers is awesome for those) only adds ~1/4" or so and may help until you can mod or replace the OEM seat. Some Iron Butt types swear by the beaded covers but I haven't tried them.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 03:25 PM
RMS

I have a $5.00 dish table place mat made from hemp (I think) only about 1/2 inch thick
Got it a WallMart, keeps my butt, cool, dry, and comfy on long rides
I am just to CHEEP to spend $100sss on a new saddle
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Have you 'set' your sag yet?

I was "toes-only" until I set my sag (5'9.5", 31" inseam). NOW it's HIGH while I get ON, then as I 'settle' my weight (180# + ATGATT) I can flat-foot it, and that's on the '08 as well as the '15.

On my '08 I have a "Spencer Mod" seat, raised - he adds some different foam to replace the lowest half inch or so, and it works for me, but I'm not sure it's necessary, as the seat on the '15, raised, is otherwise stock.

In addition - I raised the front of the seat (9/16") on all three of my Vs VERY SHORTLY after getting them, and have NEVER had a comfort issue, and I do some LONG rides. I also had a Terry Adcock 'flat-seat' for a few months, but sold it and went back to the "Spencer Mod" seat for my '08. (OVER 130,000 MILES among the '08, '09 and '15 V 650s.)

I have not set my sag... that's a good point which is really an entirely different problem than my comfort issue, but still needs to be addressed. Thanks

Also I have a 3d printer, so I guess it would be super easy to just print out a spacer and see if that helps any... its a quick and free fix that could possibly save me $$. Thanks!

-Drew
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 07:52 PM

Terry adcox seats are very good from what I hear. The russell day long seats are awsome. I drove a Kawasaki klr650 that had one, and in my opinion, It's the most comfortable seat I've ever sat on. I was ready to buy one at any cost. Bad news he doesn't do a seat for the versys.
The air hawk works fine, but it does add height Works best with very little air in it. One of the best (cheap) solutions for a passenger is a small riding mower inner tube with a little air in it. You may laugh, but it is comfortable if your seat is wide enough to support it. Don't put too much air in it or it will be unstable. I use the sheep skin pelt on my Harleys. It helps alot. I have a black one, and when we are on trips,especially in the smokey mountains,and the bike is parked, other tourist see it and ask me "is that a bear skin?" I tell them Yep. I'm from Mississippi. If it runs out in front of me, and I hit it, I'm skinning it and taking the hide home. You will be suprised how many of these people will walk over to their friends and say that dude hit and killed a bear with his Harley, and that's the hide laying on top of his seat. People are so gulable.

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 05-08-2017 at 08:03 PM.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:06 PM

I am very happy with the Seat concepts on my 2015. Best money spent so far.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I like my Seat Concepts too... At 210 lbs, I still wish I had gone with the softer foam option, although it did bed in some.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
the air hark when properly adjusted it only raises you 1/16"-1/8th". have you lowered your bike yet or still at stock ride height?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
get an air hawk .your ass will love you...
Agreed. I would be unable to ride for any length of time without my Airhawk. It was a game changer for me.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool, I will seriously consider an Airhawk. They are reasonably priced and well worth the cost of finding out if they work for me or not. Thanks everyone!

-Drew
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
Agreed. I would be unable to ride for any length of time without my Airhawk. It was a game changer for me.

What size is that one?
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I like my Seat Concepts too... At 210 lbs, I still wish I had gone with the softer foam option, although it did bed in some.
Pics of it on?

Last edited by JackImpact; 05-09-2017 at 09:17 AM.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post

What size did you get?
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:41 AM
jpd

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I tried an air hawk on my c-10. I felt disconnected from the bike and after a 2 hour ride my legs were so numb I almost dropped the bike when we stopped. The pressure point from the air moving around the pad put my weight in the wrong spot for me. Just like the stock seat is doing to you. It is a cheep item to try along with bead pads and sheep skin. Good luck with your quest for comfort. So far the stock v seat works for me.
Jeff

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode