Spoked wheels. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Spoked wheels.

Has anyone thought about doing this to make it a little more "adventuresome"?

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 04:03 PM

No.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 04:07 PM

I just came off a bike with spokes & tubes. Not looking back. I like a tubeless setup for several reasons including plugging a flat.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 04:25 PM

Yep, I tried with a company in CA in 2008. There is quite a bit to building it because of fabricating the center hub or finding one that would match, brake disc, etc. The cost was $$$$$$$$ (over 3500.) to consider. Anyways, I raised the front fender with a shocker bike stuff raiser kit and with with shinko 705s to handle the offroad. It works great. I also have a husky te510 and a klx450r. So, it's not that kinda of offroad machine. But the versys does great on dirt roads, gravel and some field or trails. Even crossed creeks with it. Good luck with spokes, i'm onboard if you find some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2448.jpg (491.9 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by perryd80; 11-10-2010 at 04:28 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I just came off a bike with spokes & tubes. Not looking back. I like a tubeless setup for several reasons including plugging a flat.
There are tubeless spoked wheels, aren't the GS's tubless? also there are kits available to make your currant spoked wheel tubeless including off road bikes. I know the Globe Riders will only allow adventure bikes with spoked wheels. I'm not sure why, Anybody?
maybe there easier to repair?
Donn
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
There are tubeless spoked wheels, aren't the GS's tubless? also there are kits available to make your currant spoked wheel tubeless including off road bikes. I know the Globe Riders will only allow adventure bikes with spoked wheels. I'm not sure why, Anybody?
Donn
I stand corrected! I had no idea they made a spoked wheel tubeless. I would have thought there would be no way to seal the air inside with a rim with many holes in it. Thanks for the enlightenment!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Donn
easier to repair and harder to break. the better to pound over rocks. dirt bikes wheels aren't spoked for style points. they are spoked to gold rims for style points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I stand corrected! I had no idea they made a spoked wheel tubeless. I would have thought there would be no way to seal the air inside with a rim with many holes in it. Thanks for the enlightenment!
BMW, Aprilia and now Yamaha have such wheels.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:58 PM

Cleaning spoked wheels is no fun and most spoked wheels have tubes. I will never own another motor bike with spoke wheels. I do however own 5 bicycles with spoked wheels.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
easier to repair and harder to break. the better to pound over rocks. dirt bikes wheels aren't spoked for style points. they are spoked to gold rims for style points.

BMW, Aprilia and now Yamaha have such wheels.
I have owned a Moto-Guzzi with tubeless spoked wheels as well. I've never seen a mag wheel that looks as attractive as a plain old spoked wheel.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Laced motorcycle rims

These are the traditional spoked wheels. The rims are usually made of aluminum, with the structural strength supplied by the spokes which are laced between hub and rim.

Laced motorcycle rims, besides being a real thing of beauty, are much more forgiving.They can bend without breaking, and still work. They are also much more repairable than alloy wheels, and if a rim is bent beyond repair, it can be replaced and re-laced with new spokes. Excel and Sunn rims are two common ones, and are available at any multitude of online outlets.

Whats so good about laced rims?

It is essentially a strength/flexibility issue. Like a young sapling tree will bend in high winds,so the spoke on a set of laced motorcycle rims will absorb the impact of a bump more effectively than a solid wheel, the spokes spreading the impact over a wider area of the motorcycle rims. That is why besides looking mighty fine, they are also used extensively by off road riders. A cast wheel has no give so the full force will be transmitted into the portion of the wheel at the point of impact.

http://www.motorcycleparts-accessories-andmore.com/motorcyclerims.html

Might go for a Laced wheel if its cheap, otherwise stock is good.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 AM

Well there you have it, nice Fastoman. I too like the look of spokes but I think the Versy's wheels look good for a mag. Not too bulky looking like some. Ive been watching the GlobeRiders on TV and One of their requirements if you want to do an adventure ride with them is that your bike must have spoked wheels. the web site. http://www.globeriders.com/

Donn

Last edited by Nytrydr; 11-11-2010 at 09:22 AM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I converted my KLR's wheels to tubeless, and have successfully ridden around 10,000 kms since I did it (took me about a week, getting the silicone to cure, etc).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I converted my KLR's wheels to tubeless, and have successfully ridden around 10,000 kms since I did it (took me about a week, getting the silicone to cure, etc).
Cool, what kit did you use for this mod and how much? the kit I saw was close to $100 per wheel. I cant remember what kit it was. for off road, on my KTM I think it would be cheaper to go with Bib Mouse inserts but I could be wrong.

Donn
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 11:35 PM

I was looking into spoked wheels last year, and found a manufacture of hubs for spoked wheels in Utah, Rad Manf. which is located south of Salt Lake.

He said that he needs a set of wheels to measure, and see if he has a hub that matches, or if he needs to make something up. If he needs to build a new hub it would be more expensive but if could get enough orders it would be a lot cheeper.

I had a guy from Vegas lined up to take his wheels up to be measured but it never hapened.

I might be headed down there in Jan. and thinking I might take my Versys wheels with me.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Cool, what kit did you use for this mod and how much? the kit I saw was close to $100 per wheel. I cant remember what kit it was. for off road, on my KTM I think it would be cheaper to go with Bib Mouse inserts but I could be wrong.

Donn
Cost (per wheel) was about $10 for a mag wheel valve stem, and I used one tube of Permatex black silicone, plus one tube of Weathershield 35 year silicone caulk (like you'd caulk windows with). Maybe $32 TOTAL for both wheels. Took about a week per, and that's letting the silicone cure properly before moving to the next step, and testing in water (then removing the front tire a couple of times to stop leaks, and I guess I learned, because my back tire went on and DIDN'T leak!) BEFORE doing this I 'trued' the wheels.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

BTW - if anyone wants to see pictures of what I did, they're posted on DSN_klr650, and here's the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KL...85568/pic/list

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 05:10 PM

Why would you do this on a KLR? If you got 10,000KM so far, great, but it seems that you have introduced about 100 additional potential failure points. What do you do when one of the silicone dabs in the rim fails and falls off? Back to a tube, I guess, or re-goop the rim and wait a week to cure? What am I missing here?

V-Zee

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 04:41 AM

I too had spoke wheels on my mountain bikes. Went with a tubeless kit from Stan's No-Tubes. Latex based mixture with self sealing additives. Worked great, setup was fairly easy. The only bad thing was the mixture needed to be refreshed every so often. Would be interesting to see if it would work on a M/C rim.

I was running my 29ers rigid, and the Stan's allowed me to run lower air pressures to take up some of the shock.

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 04:52 AM

try cleaning them and keeping them rust free and also limitations to tyre size you maybe stuck with those ****e dunlops
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
Why would you do this on a KLR? If you got 10,000KM so far, great, but it seems that you have introduced about 100 additional potential failure points. What do you do when one of the silicone dabs in the rim fails and falls off? Back to a tube, I guess, or re-goop the rim and wait a week to cure? What am I missing here?

V-Zee
The short answer: a nail in a tubeless MIGHT not even lose air, while one in a tube is INSTANT deflation.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode