• 1 Post By penwright1166
  • 2 Post By tornlogic
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Older with less miles, or newer with more miles

Hi everyone - So I've been researching for weeks and narrowed my search down to two Versys.

One is a 2008 with 5500 miles (8800 KM), and the other is a 2009 with 11000 miles (17700 KM).

The 2008 comes with a taller Vario windscreen and Givi hard bags. Also has an engine guard and new tires.

The 2009 has new tires, brakes, battery, front/rear sprockets and chain. Receipts for oil changes and stuff like that. Looks like the owner really took care of it.

Both are priced the same. So is it better to go for the one year newer 2009 with more miles, or the one year older 2008 but with half the miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:50 AM

Me personally I'd go with the
2008 hard bags are expensive as well as engine guard, and lower miles that's me though

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Skypilot 69 likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by penwright1166 View Post
2008 hard bags are expensive as well as engine guard, and lower miles that's me though
I'm leaning that way, plus it's 20 miles from my house. The 2009 is two hours away, but would make a fund ride home.

The hard bags are nice too because I'd use it as a grocery getter. And you're right, they are expensive, and the rack to mount them.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:54 AM

Garage
I really think that's a matter of personal preference and what you want. I'm not sure anybody here can give you a definitive answer to that.

So with that said, here is what you should take into consideration:
1. Condition of each bike
2. Up front repair costs and what you are willing to spend
3. Upgrades... that YOU want
4. Differences of features between older and newer models

Something also to consider... Mileage on a bike isn't a huge factor in depreciation. I had a FZ1 with 32K miles on it, and it sold for about the same as similar year FZ1s with half the milage. As long as they are taken care of, it's not a huge factor.

The reason why these bikes are so similar priced is because they are only a year difference and sounds to me the "older" bike is just been taken care of. Your not looking at a 2008 low mileage vs a 2015 with high mileage.

Don't let 11k Miles scare you away if that's the bike you want.. Pretend for a moment that they are the same year, and the same mileage. Which one would you pick? That's the one I would pick.
quexpress and EGBigelo like this.

-Drew
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:49 PM

Honestly I would go with the '09 myself (as long as they are priced the same). Since it has service records and all of the common wear items have already been replaced. Sounds like it's ready to go for many more miles without needing any immediate maintenance. That's my 2 cents anyway. They both are probably good buys

2009 Blue Versys

Last edited by CyclopsRider; 05-04-2017 at 12:59 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

The mileage was a factor, but it sounds like 11k miles is nothing to worry about as long as the bike has been taken care of.

I did some research and it doesn't seem like there are any differences between the 2008 and 2009. I haven't looked at each one in person yet, mostly because the one is 2 hours away, but I plan to this weekend. I will know more once I can physically inspect the bikes.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The 08 was only used 611 miles/year, and the other only used under 1,400 miles per year, so neither really had any use. I got my '09 in July 2013 with 5,500 miles, this having the Givi V35 hard bags. I did not like them before having bought this, but now love them. If you get the one with the bags, or add them to the other, get the Admore light kit which will triple the amount of rear and brake lights.

If those are the original tires on the 08, even if they look good you should change them out since they will be as hard as rocks, especially with so little use. There are numerous upgrades you can see to be done and an endless farkle list. It's a toss up for me since I like the bags, but the mileage is not an issue for the 2009 since that is still very low miles. If you have to do brakes and tires on the 08, you are probably talking $800+-. There is a rack and V35 bag set that just came available on this forum last week for only $300 I believe. what price are they asking?

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 03:39 PM

the only difference I know of between the '08's and '09's is cosmetic. 08 only had red with amber turn signal lenses and the 09's came in green or blue with clear turn signal lenses. There may be other subtle differences but these are all I know of. Mechanically they are identical

2009 Blue Versys
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 04:57 PM

Maybe its just me, but those bags look like they are on backwards, the green has had the right maintenance, but there are stickers are on the paint ... "goo gone" and a blow dryer should get them off, the red has all the right accessories, fender extender, shield, bags, crash bars ... find out about the maintenance history.

Quote:
There is a rack and V35 bag set that just came available on this forum last week for only $300 I believe. what price are they asking?[/
that's a great price, v35's, color plates and a rack run around $800

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsRider View Post
the only difference I know of between the '08's and '09's is cosmetic. 08 only had red with amber turn signal lenses and the 09's came in green or blue with clear turn signal lenses. There may be other subtle differences but these are all I know of. Mechanically they are identical
The '09 has a BETTER front master-cylinder (and BETTER brakes, because of it). The '08 has a rectangular one, the '09 has some curves, and I posted-up how to change the '08 to the better one, quite a few years back.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...an-%24100.html
quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 07:03 PM

My personal opinion. understand this is me not seeing in person or test riding them. It seems the red 08 has the most bang for the buck, but I think the green 09 (which is my favorite versys color) is the better looking of the two. If you like the looks of the red better, then it's a no brainer. buy the red 08. If you like the looks of the green 09 better you have to decide which is more important value or beauty. Only you can make that decision.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Go for the older 09 as its original KAWA from Japan before they moved manufacturing to Thailand. Most of Kawa manufacturing is done in Thailand nowadays and the Quality has taken some dip. Just compare the 08 /09 to the 2011 models and you will notice the difference, (at least in my side of the world I see the difference.)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
My personal opinion. understand this is me not seeing in person or test riding them. It seems the red 08 has the most bang for the buck, but I think the green 09 (which is my favorite versys color) is the better looking of the two. If you like the looks of the red better, then it's a no brainer. buy the red 08. If you like the looks of the green 09 better you have to decide which is more important value or beauty. Only you can make that decision.
I like the green color better, and it seems to have newer parts. And looks cleaner from the pics. But, I like all the accessories on the red one.

How much I can get off the price is a factor too.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 12:43 AM

Garage
They are both older, low mileage bikes and that sort of difference should have no part in your decision.
I would be looking at the owner of each and deciding which one would better care for their bike.
I would then place price against all those quite expensive accessories BUT only if you wanted them.
My last consideration would be if one had ever spent time stored outside.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
The '09 has a BETTER front master-cylinder (and BETTER brakes, because of it). The '08 has a rectangular one, the '09 has some curves, and I posted-up how to change the '08 to the better one, quite a few years back.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...an-%24100.html
I did not know this thank you!

2009 Blue Versys
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGBigelo View Post
Those are not the hard bags most of us were expecting on the '08. The v35 bags are the expensive bags and go with the lines of the bike nicely. The hard bags on the '08 are more of a cruiser bag and are lower price and smaller volume.
As a Kawasaki guy, I would definitely choose green over red.
whiting57 likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penwright1166 View Post

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
+1 They are both the same generations and I don't think the 6000 mile difference is that big a deal on these bikes. Plus you indicate is has sprockets and chain recently replaced, good I think, but 11,000 miles seems early to have to replace those you may want to inquire about that.

JoH
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 05:05 PM

Garage
Not to add more confusion to decision making but...noticed you said you were 20 miles from the 2008 and its on an Erie craigslist posting. Guy on this forum has an 2009 with 78XX miles, Givi hard bags, 1800 miles on tires, cheaper than both the 2008 & 2009 you are looking at and he is in the Buffalo area...2 hours away like the green 2009?
Plus its blue (color of my 2009!)
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...o-ny-area.html
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 11:58 AM

Garage
EGBigelo,
Kind of wondering...Are you now a Versys owner? If so which bike did you bring home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode