Driving Light Install with Custom Brackets - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Naitramde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Driving Light Install with Custom Brackets

After quite a bit of looking for lights I decided on the Denali D2's because of their small size, dual intensity, and they are BRIGHT! The only problem with them is the cost of about $380. This was a big enough of a problem that went without for nearly a year. I know that there are lots of lights out there for way cheaper but 'the heart wants what the heart wants' and who was I to argue. Fortunately these came available on fleabay. After the seller gave the history on the lights it eased my conscience about buying used electronics enough to fork over only $180. Now I was in business. I've had these on for a couple of months now and I really like them. Added daytime safety and now I can see at night.

There are a couple of things to note that the pics don't show...
- I chose the lower faring brackets to mount the lights to but the faring brackets are not symmetrical on the bike. Because of this the mounting feet for the light brackets have to be at different angles.
- Each faring bracket has two factory holes in it, one about 11mm, the other 6mm. On the light bracket the bent rod extends thru the mounting foot and into the 11mm hole. This keeps the light bracket secure from movement and needing only one 6mm mounting bolt.
- The ONLY modification I had to make to the bike was slightly grind the lower faring lip to make clearance for the light bracket. This can be seen in the pic labeled 'Final mock up'.

Hope you enjoy. Here's the pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Getting angle correct on both sides.jpg (25.8 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 2 Ready for tack welds.jpg (35.2 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 3 Final mock up.jpg (34.7 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 4 Final weld.jpg (53.9 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 5 After some grinding.jpg (57.6 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 6 After paint.jpg (54.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 7 Control box and wiring attached to neck.jpg (33.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 8 Left side.jpg (34.9 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 9 Left side final.jpg (33.7 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 10 Front view.jpg (32.0 KB, 195 views)
quexpress likes this.

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I have same model bike. Used the denali mounts I bought from a member on this site (don't have the talent to build my own) but for lights I used motorcycle brandless LED aux lights purchased on AliExpress for $90/pr. They are 4200 lumens each which is plenty darn bright. The OEM high beam is superfluous with these they provide so much illumination. They look similar to the denali lights and have similar construction and performance but cost much less. Very happy with the quality. One thing I found from reading up on the subject is narrow beam spots are preferable to a wide beam, flood pattern, as you get distance of illumination with the narrow beam.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-03-2017 at 10:47 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I bought a set of those lights (DENALI DMs) c/w mounting kit (SW-Motech) from an inmate, but haven't mounted them yet.

I LIKE what you 'fabbed' up...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 02:20 PM

What are you guys tapping into for the high and low beams on these lights? Looking at installing a set of Denalis next month.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:07 AM

Nice work. Looks factory. I went with fork tube clamps. Mine looks less factory.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbrt View Post
What are you guys tapping into for the high and low beams on these lights? Looking at installing a set of Denalis next month.
Relay into the high beam wire - power from the battery.

OP, I like how you mounted it, I used the same location for mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode