Finally Home - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 8Likes
  • 7 Post By Turk
  • 1 Post By whiting57

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Finally Home

It took just over a week to get the bike home from the dealer. Lot's of logistical stuff that I didn't expect but she's finally home.

So here we are, just me and the Kawasaki twins.

Initial ride was strange. I babied the motor at first, I mean real gentle and it felt like a tractor, wasn't pleased. I started giving it more gas and then the motor reminded me more and more of my Ninja. The tires are new and it had just rained so I wasn't pushing in through any corners. The stock windscreen at the lowest setting is junk for me, noisy. I'm not fond of the turn signals, aesthetically I like the integrated look of the Ninja better. Had zero problem with seat height so far but I can see some circumstances where it might be problematic.

On the plus side very comfortable, love the integrated luggage and the windscreen at the highest setting was a-okay. Can't wait to get the tires properly scrubbed in to get a better feel for the handling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:07 PM

Congrats .... nothing better than getting your new baby into the garage .... I found the same as you, the bike did not like being kept under 4 g's, funny cause my ninja 650 manual said keep it under 6 g's for the first 1000 kms.

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:57 PM

Nice pair! Congrats on the new V.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:26 PM

Congrats (again)!

Interesting how "red" the bike looks in your pix above. But that might be my old eyes.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium [ Sold: Feb. 2019 ]
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Congrats and nice looking pair of kawa's.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
Congrats (again)!

Interesting how "red" the bike looks in your pix above. But that might be my old eyes.

That's not your eyes, the bike comes up as red in photos but it's definitely orange. I'm going to have to work it over in PhotoShop in the future to correct the color.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 02:01 PM

Garage
Congrats on finally getting it home! It's hard to keep the engine speed under 4000 rpm, I lasted until about 80 miles, then started opening it up a bit more ;^) I've had it up to about 8000 rpm, as gently as I could, and it was much happier! I'm just forcing myself to ride around the 45 mph back roads and keep changing between 4/5/6 gears...and watch the odometer slowly increase ;^)

And yours does look red in these pics, but I can confirm they are definitely orange. Maybe your camera/phone isn't translating the color correctly.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves308 View Post
Congrats on finally getting it home! It's hard to keep the engine speed under 4000 rpm, I lasted until about 80 miles, then started opening it up a bit more ;^) I've had it up to about 8000 rpm, as gently as I could, and it was much happier! I'm just forcing myself to ride around the 45 mph back roads and keep changing between 4/5/6 gears...and watch the odometer slowly increase ;^)

And yours does look red in these pics, but I can confirm they are definitely orange. Maybe your camera/phone isn't translating the color correctly.
I've been keeping mine under 6k, didn't realize it was 4k, I listened to the salesman at the dealership telling him I wanted to follow Kawasaki's recommended break-in. Then I realized today that the guy never gave me my owner's manual that has all that info inside. Going to go back and get that stuff, they are starting to get under my skin. I picked that shop because it was a small independent dealer as most of the shops in the Boston area are owned by a large corporation.

The available light really messes with the color, I've used my phone and regular camera and if I don't take my time in PhotoShop it skews to the red, sometimes quite a bit.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 02:33 PM

Garage
Now I am curious about a Ninja. I wanna ride one!

Ceasar

Don't plan, just ride

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 03:00 PM

Garage
Just an FYI, I thought they had forgotten to give me my manual, and when I called them up they told me to look in the saddle bags, which is where I found it. Yours might just be in there.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
Congrats .... nothing better than getting your new baby into the garage ....
There's NOTHING "better than getting your new baby OUT OF the garage...!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
...I'm going to have to work it over in PhotoShop in the future to correct the color.
Try lightening or darkening in Photoshop and you should get the correct color. I get similar problems on my '08 which will come out "pink" until I fix it.

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
There's NOTHING "better than getting your new baby OUT OF the garage...

That's a excellent point .... I like your thinking.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uparmorjoe View Post
Now I am curious about a Ninja. I wanna ride one!

I love my Ninja, matter of fact my transition to the Versys was been a bit sour the first day I rode it from the dealer. I suppose when you put 24,000 miles on a bike you get used to it. I took the Versys out for a short ride today to run some errands and it's growing on me, I'm most impressed with how balanced it feels in parking lot maneuvers. I though slow speed handling would be easier on the Ninja and it's not. I still don't have the confidence for throwing the Versys around a corner with the same authority I do on the Ninja but I think that will come in time.

The Ninja was my defacto sport tourer. I think if it would have come with integrated hard bags as nice as the Versys I may not have gotten the V. The Ninja will be up for sale this week and I will miss her. I may get a second bike someday but I would want it to be very different.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I think if it would have come with integrated hard bags as nice as the Versys
I know what you mean ... I put givi plx v35's on my ninja ... they looked great on the bike all color matched, but when you took them off, the rack looked like crap. The one thing I really like about the versys over my ninja is the riding ergonomics, the down side is the seat height. Having said that, i am really enjoying the new ride.

BTW ...the bike can handle ..... this is not me, but when you are scraping the bottom of the bags, it can be cranked over LOL

Turk likes this.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves308 View Post
Just an FYI, I thought they had forgotten to give me my manual, and when I called them up they told me to look in the saddle bags, which is where I found it. Yours might just be in there.
I looked. Only had the luggage accessory literature. Thanks though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode