SW Mototech quick lock racks - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW Mototech quick lock racks

As Winter approaches and my projects begin I intend to put racks on my V. The SW Mototech quick lock racks are removable....only small mounting tabs remain permanently fixed to the bike.

I'll use my panniers maybe 3-4 times a summer. The rest of the time I'll run 'bare'. Here's my question to those who use them...

Are they robust enough? Do the bags (Givi's in my case) have play in the rack system ? Do they get loose with time/mileage ?

I had SU racks on my KLR, and they were like rocks. Solid enough to use as maneuvering handles for the bike in the garage. The SW Moto's can't be as solid using dzus fasteners....can they ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:34 AM
djg

I'm with you, but have no experience. The fasteners are "dzus like", not actual dzus brand. My experience with this type of fastener on aircraft is that they do wear and break. I went with Givi racks. Other SW Motech items I have purchased for my V have all been good quality, I'm not badmouthing the brand.

Never mind. Someone with experience has replied.

Last edited by djg; 11-10-2010 at 10:57 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:36 AM

The SW Rack with Givi 21's was the first thing I added to my '08 2 years and 29,500 miles ago. I take the racks off for dealer servicing trips and tire changes but they have been on the bike pretty much the entire 29,500 miles since installation.

For the last 25,000 miles, I've had the Trax 37l cases hanging on them.

2 zero-speed fall overs with a fully loaded cross country packed bike failed to bend or hurt the racks (or the left Trax case which helped "break" the fall).

I've also got the SW toprack. The SW adapter plate for the Trax topcase has always seemed the weakest part of the whole setup (plastic adapter plate with smaller quicklock fastners) but time has proven this not to be a concern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 02:26 PM

I'm the opposite of A2RON, I rarely put my racks on; usually for 2up trips or other times I need to carry a lot of stuff.

I have the EVO racks (not V35) and use old Givi Monokey luggage left over from my 90's Triumph Tiger.

I am incredibly impressed with the solidity of the SW racks. When locked in place, there is no movement in the fasteners. They become a rock solid part of the bike. I have had many "hard-bolted" luggage systems on BMWs and Triumphs, and there is less luggage movement with the SW than any other I've used. One of the keys is the attachment across the license plate frame that ties the 2 sides together.

So, don't worry about the structural soundness of the SW quick-release racks.

Michael
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 04:15 PM

I've had SW-Motech side racks on my K1200R and Versys, under normal riding conditions they were great. That said, the quick-release fasteners did not do their job when I started to hit rough roads in Central America, I had to replace most of them with bolts. More recently the welds failed on my right rack. Again, they are great racks for their intended purpose but my experience is that they won't hold up under a lot of stress.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DBD34; 11-10-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode