Should I lower my seat? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Should I lower my seat?

I contacted spencer about modding my seat and he informed me that I can lower it by 1 inch. But that the passenger area cannot be lowered.

So I started thinking that it may change handling and cornering with a passenger on if she sits up higher than me. Maybe I'm totally wrong in this thinking....Maybe 1 inch isn't enough to make a difference..Will she catch more wind if I'm an inch lower?

It would be nice being able to put a little more than just toes on the ground....but I'm doing just fine the way it is now.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 PM

You may have already considered this, but just in case: Have you considered Speedy's Motowerk lowering kit? Relatively easy to install yourself and totally reversible if you change your mind or sell the bike.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
I contacted spencer about modding my seat and he informed me that I can lower it by 1 inch. But that the passenger area cannot be lowered.

So I started thinking that it may change handling and cornering with a passenger on if she sits up higher than me. Maybe I'm totally wrong in this thinking....Maybe 1 inch isn't enough to make a difference..Will she catch more wind if I'm an inch lower?

It would be nice being able to put a little more than just toes on the ground....but I'm doing just fine the way it is now.

What do you guys think?
An inch is not going to make a difference on the passenger at all. She will still be in the same place she was before. It would just be like she was riding with a 1 inch shorter dude... No big deal. If you need more feet on the ground and have not done it yet.... I highly recommend Speedy's Lowering Kit! Installed one on mine and a flatfoot at the same time.

I say if you want another inch removed and it wont affect price or comfort...Go for it! Handling will not be negatively affected.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 PM

Garage
It should help the handling. The heaviest thing on the bike is you. Lowering the seat will help lower the center of gravity of the bike.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 PM

Uneven pavement and stopping on steep grades have caught me off-guard more than once, (but I'm a clutz at 6'2"). Be careful until you mod. it!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
It should help the handling. The heaviest thing on the bike is you. Lowering the seat will help lower the center of gravity of the bike.
That's what I'm confused on hawkshot. Because my wife's part of the seat can not be lowered. So she will stay at the same height while I drop down an inch (she will keep the center of gravity high right??) We usually tear it up together. It's funny cause when I'm alone I behave very well generally speaking..but when she gets on the hooligan comes out.

In my mind what makes sense is to keep the rider and passenger relatively close height wise for the twisties. But maybe that doesn't matter?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Also I'm not entirely sold on the idea of lowering the whole motorcycle. I know that everyone says the handling characteristics don't change but I'm not convinced yet. The spring angle slightly changes so that's got to do something right?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Rider been lower an inch over the passenger will not make much difference and it will depend much on your handling capacity. Lowering the bike with Speedy's lowering kit does not alter bike handling. I find the bike better after lowering with Speedy's lowering lit and works good.

I dont ride 2 up-solo all the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode