Tommy Jack rear wheel stand - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tommy Jack rear wheel stand

Has anyone tried one of these Tommy Jack rear wheel stands? They are designed to be folded and 15" long making them portable. Sounds like a great idea for lubing the chain while touring. It's not designed to remove the rear wheel. They retail for Approximately $59 with shipping I'm sure as an added cost? Protability and chain lube capability at home or on the road sounds like a good investment? Essentially they utilize the existing sidestand and front wheel with the Tommy Jack providing the third leg for support. It slides under the swing arm and you simply put a lever down and it raises the rear wheel off the ground sufficeintly so you can rotate the chain. It's manufactured in England and reportedly of very high quality. I'm ready to purchase one, but wanted to see what you guys think...thanks John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
This is another version of portable jack-packjack.

http://www.motorcyclemerchandise.net...stand-packjack.

Really handy on tours , chain lube/puncture work.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:50 AM

I made my own. About $10 in parts from Lowes.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
This is another version of portable jack-packjack.

http://www.motorcyclemerchandise.net...stand-packjack.

Really handy on tours , chain lube/puncture work.

Thanks for the link. just ordered. had to have it alot easier than putting the bike on a stand to lube the chain.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Thanks for the link. just ordered. had to have it alot easier than putting the bike on a stand to lube the chain.
Welcome and post a review once you have it working. Might go your way or make one-DIY.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 PM

I have one of these. It works very well for the Versys.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380877

I picked it up as he only lives 15 miles from me. $20
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrider View Post
I made my own. About $10 in parts from Lowes.
That looks like my style of DIY stands, simple and sweet! I'll have to build me one of those soon as I've got a bike to balance on it!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 04:57 AM

Here's an older thread with some similar ideas:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1926

Here's my version from the thread that allows lifting of the front or rear (it's my only "stand").
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...1&postcount=23
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I like the DIY version which is also adjustable; good job! I ordered a PackJack which is similar; they now offer an adjustable model which has been very successful with Versys owners. I'll provide my impressions once I receive mine...John
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 PM

Garage
Ordered the packjack yesterday and received an very nice e-mail today from greg and also making sure i chose the right model. Seem like outstanding folks to do business with.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Merrell View Post
Has anyone tried one of these Tommy Jack rear wheel stands? They are designed to be folded and 15" long making them portable. Sounds like a great idea for lubing the chain while touring. It's not designed to remove the rear wheel. They retail for Approximately $59 with shipping I'm sure as an added cost?
I could find better things to spend $60 on for the bike, like putting that money towards a good rear wheel stand for your maintenance needs at home. When you're out touring is it really that big of a deal to just roll and lube? Unless you're cleaning the chain with a toothbrush and then lubing it every time.....
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 04:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
I could find better things to spend $60 on for the bike, like putting that money towards a good rear wheel stand for your maintenance needs at home. When you're out touring is it really that big of a deal to just roll and lube? Unless you're cleaning the chain with a toothbrush and then lubing it every time.....
To some 60 bucks seem expensive to others thats just a tip for lunch.

Have a good rearstand but will use the packjack more. easier to use for chain maintenance

To me the roll and lube is a pain.

theres alot of over the 40 crowd here that will prefer this. much easier than messing with a rear stand

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
To some 60 bucks seem expensive to others thats just a tip for lunch.

Have a good rearstand but will use the packjack more. easier to use for chain maintenance

To me the roll and lube is a pain.

theres alot of over the 40 crowd here that will prefer this. much easier than messing with a rear stand

Are you sayin we're old!!??

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post

yes we are
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:01 AM

This 2 tools looks simple and well made.

My dealer friend showed me his jac stand.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post

Well i know i'm feeling that way. bad knee from football. Years of martial arts being tossed on hard floors and thins mats have taken it toll on the ole body. so anything that can make it easier is well worth the price

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
When i'm ready for my hoov-a-round chair i want a stebel horn on it

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
When i'm ready for my hoov-a-round chair i want a stebel horn on it
Make sure you change those versys mirrors out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode