Front Fender Removal - need help - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Front Fender Removal - need help

I've got my 2016 V650LT on the sidestand and am trying to remove the front fender. I've got all the fasteners out and hoses out of the clamps. There appears to be no way of sliding the fender out unless the front wheel is off because the clamps are rivited on keeping you from moving it forward and away from the forks. If that's the case, it's a stupid design. I've never had a bike that I couldn't take the front fender off with the wheel still on.

Is there a trick to this or do you just have to remove the front wheel?

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
slide it up and out. when done properly there is no resistance. Don't force anything. No need to remove the front wheel.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
slide it up and out. when done properly there is no resistance. Don't force anything. No need to remove the front wheel.
I see you have a 2010 judging from your profile. Mine is a 2016 and because of the clamps rivited to the back of the fender, there appears to be no way to slide it out. Do you now have a 3rd gen?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I've removed mine ('15). I seem to remember that once the bolts are removed you lift the fender UP a bit, then turn it 90degrees...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
I see you have a 2010 judging from your profile. Mine is a 2016 and because of the clamps rivited to the back of the fender, there appears to be no way to slide it out. Do you now have a 3rd gen?
If you are referring to the cable clamps that hold the brake line, these open and close easily. Just slide them open to free the brake line. Do not force them apart. Same fender on both bikes.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I've removed mine ('15). I seem to remember that once the bolts are removed you lift the fender UP a bit, then turn it 90degrees...?

I did try turning it 90 degrees but it always seemed that there was something in the way preventing it. I'll try again. Thanks for the info.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
if you mean the clips that hold the brake lines in you reach under on the inside of the fender and pinch the inside nub together and push out....... if thats not what your talking about just ignore me and best luck removing your fender....

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
if you mean the clips that hold the brake lines in you reach under on the inside of the fender and pinch the inside nub together and push out....... if thats not what your talking about just ignore me and best luck removing your fender....

Here's a picture of the front fender showing the rivets attaching the brake line clips:

... and here's a picture showing the backside of the rivets. There is nothing to pinch:

Last edited by Wolfcamp; 10-24-2017 at 04:05 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
If you are referring to the cable clamps that hold the brake line, these open and close easily. Just slide them open to free the brake line. Do not force them apart. Same fender on both bikes.
Freeing the brake line is not the problem, removing the clamps from the fender is.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:55 PM

Garage
I'm with you. I tried and tried several times to get that dang fender out, but the riveted on brake bracket got in the way.
Now, the rest of the story...
I drilled out the left side pop rivets. Installed my fender extender. Drilled the holes for the four plastic push on, push through rivets. They worked well. I also used Gorilla two part epoxy and clamped the fender extender to the fender. So far so good.
I re installed the fender and used machine screws to secure the bracket back on to the fender, and used Lock Tite. OOPS!
Did you know that Lock Tite dissolves and destroys plastic? I didn't!
I had to take the whole thing off. No worries about the brake bracket, that is now hanging loose with nothing to attach it to! I had to make a aluminum bracket backer, form it into the shape of the fender, glue this under the fender with two part epoxy. Then fill in the space in the fender with Gorilla Glue two part epoxy where the fender bracket used to attach to the fender, now filled with epoxy. I waited a day, drilled out the epoxy to make way for the new brake bracket bolts now held on by nylon lock nuts.
Reinstalled the whole she -bang, and now I am back to where I was when initially installing the fender extender.

New lesson learned.

IF someone can actually get the fender out and back in with that bracket installed you are a better man than I. Not saying its not possible, but I sure couldn't do it.
whiting57 likes this.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
IF someone can actually get the fender out and back in with that bracket installed you are a better man than I. Not saying its not possible, but I sure couldn't do it.
I'm with you 2 guys, I could not remover the fender either .... I ended up putting my fender extender on while the fender was mounted to the bike ... I did not like those little plastic fasteners, so I went to crappy tire and got me some trim fasteners, I just cut about a eighth off the ends and they hold really well.

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:

I did try turning it 90 degrees but it always seemed that there was something in the way preventing it. I'll try again. Thanks for the info.
watch those clips on the fork shiny black paint ... there was no way I could get that fender off.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, so has anybody who has drilled out those rivets had success with reinstalling them with some other type of fastener?

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
OK, so has anybody who has drilled out those rivets had success with reinstalling them with some other type of fastener?
you wont have a Canadian tire where you live ... but have a look at these at this link ....

Search Results | Canadian Tire

this is what I used on my fender extender ..

BTW there is a kazillion different types avail ... http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...pk&FORM=HDRSC2

Last edited by whiting57; 04-26-2017 at 11:02 PM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 06:31 AM

Garage
I drilled out the current fender with the same size holes that were in the bracket, went to Ace Hardware and got Allen head stainless machine screws and locking nuts to re attach the bracket. I thought about pop rivets, as were originally used, but was worried about the pressure used to install them might crack the fender. It was a job, but glad its done. May post pics at some point.
Mondofresh likes this.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:37 AM

Good thread. I haven't had to remove my '15's fender yet, but it's only a matter of time. I've had bikes with front fenders that were a bit tricky, but this sounds like a project. What does the factory service manual say about it, if anything?

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
What does the factory service manual say about it, if anything?
Here is all it says. This is verbatim:
Front Fender Removal

* Clear the brake hoses from the clamps [A].
* For KLE650F, clear the front wheel rotation sensor lead from the clamp [B].
* Remove:
......Bolts [C] and Washers (Both Sides)
......Front Fender [D]

Doug Just Doug likes this.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Good thread. I haven't had to remove my '15's fender yet, but it's only a matter of time. I've had bikes with front fenders that were a bit tricky, but this sounds like a project. What does the factory service manual say about it, if anything?
It's on page 15-23 of the SERVICE MANUAL, but doesn't really tell how, just which hoses, lines, etc to remove.

The FIRST time I tried was VERY difficult (removed the wheel first), but I seem to remember having less trouble when I did it again. Sorry I can't help more than that.
Doug Just Doug likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I drilled the pop rivets off, removed the fender and then put new pop rivets in after reinstalling the fender.
It's a PIA but easy to do.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
May post pics at some point.
Please do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode