Painting help please - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Painting help please

Well I scrapped up my engine guard after dropping my bike in front of a bear during my hill country ride so it's time for a little touch up.

A question...

What grit sand paper should I use? I bought 600 grit wet, dry sand paper but it doesn't seem to be doing a very good job.

Also, I bought a rustoleum glossy black spray can. Any reason why this is not good stuff?

I also figured I'd paint the trellis frame since I need to do some touch up on it as well (scatched up from attaching bungee cords). So I thought I'd just use the same glossy black instead of flat black.

Any other suggestions on painting would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 09:34 PM

320-360 is what you need for paint prep if there are scratches. If you're just roughening good paint for a recoat then 500. Dry paper for paint prep, wet sand for correcting paint defects, 600 then 1200 and polish. If you see bare metal then you need a light prime coat, SEM makes a nice self etching primer in a rattle can.

Rustoleum is fine, it's just soft and well wear pretty fast. Acrylic enamel with a hardener will perform almost as good as powder coating, and doesn't chip like the latter and can be sanded and recoated.

If you don't have spray equipment then the rattle-can enamels have to make do. Use a couple of mist coats and plan to do it again after some use.

Another solution is to remove everything you want recoated and drop them off to a powder coater. They will sand blast and apply a new finish, color and texture to suit. If you shop around you should be able to get the two trellis pieces and your guard done for about $100, maybe less. If you sand prep them a body shop might shoot them in satin black for you with automotive enamel for the same price, maybe a little less.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the response cj. I was really hoping you would say that rustoleum is good stuff! lol

I don't have any spray equipment so I guess my can of rustoleum will have to do for now. I don't really care about it looking really good...just want it to look decent. And the only reason I'm doing this is to keep it from rusting any more. I'm even getting rust down by the passenger foot pegs, although I don't know why.

Thanks for the advice on sandpaper!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Painted the trellis frame yesterday. Used my rustoleum rattle cans primer and gloss black. I think they turned out pretty good but they are far from perfect. I had a couple runs in the paint. It was kind of a pain in the ass trying to hold them up and spray them at the same time. I finally got smart on my last coat and had my wife hold em up while I sprayed them.

One of these days I'll spray the saddle bag support brakcets to match. I think the glossy black looks better than the flat black anyway.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
Painted the trellis frame yesterday. ... It was kind of a pain in the ass trying to hold them up and spray them at the same time. I finally got smart on my last coat and had my wife hold em up while I sprayed them.
So how does your wife look now ó in gloss black?

FWIW, with stuff that needs a 360 paint job I usually hang it with tie wire from the garage ceiling or, if outside, a temporary rack, e.g. a couple of ladders & a length of pipe...

Looks good in the pic though

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

I know I know...

I couldn't paint them in my sister's garage without making a makeshift paint booth cause of all the stuff she has. And I didn't feel like dragging anything out to the back yard to hang them on cause I thought it would be easier than it was. Next time I'll do that though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

what does FWIW mean?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 12:40 PM

For What It's Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
what does FWIW mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode