starting in real cold temps - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
starting in real cold temps

I ride all year , dose starting the bike when it 20 F cause any problems ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Cold starts are harder on the bike because the oil is thicker and doesn't flow as well, so there's less protection on moving parts until the oil starts flowing well. But that's true with any internal combustion engine, so if it's 20 degrees and you have to get somewhere, go ahead and ride. It's not like it hurts your motorcycle's engine but not your car's engine.

I would never start the motorcycle unnecessarily in cold temperatures (like people who start the bike occasionally "to keep the battery charged" but then just shut it off), but I don't have any qualms about starting it and riding it. That's what it's built for. Just ride gently until it's up to temp.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Assuming the bike is stored in a garage or something that prevents it from freezing, I think its fine. Just like a car....

It was between 11 and 16 degrees for two weeks when I lived in Germany and the only difference was the sluggish starter.

With 20 degrees and two wheels, be careful of ice (Cpt. Obvious)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsplitter View Post
I ride all year , dose starting the bike when it 20 F cause any problems ...
My requirement for riding to work is that it is 20F or higher. I have never had a problem with my bike in the cold, but my fingers can get quite cold if I ride too long.

The single biggest reason for my 20F rule is that a friend had his bike slide out from under him and we all think it was from cold tires. That day it was 9F when he set out. That was not on a Versys, but my Versys does not leave the stable at temperatures under 20F.

My bike now has 9000+ miles and so I am pretty sure that the bike itself handles working in cold temperatures (although it is garaged at night) very well.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 08:44 PM

20F is not too cold for the bike. I've been out at -8F on the V. It was really cold, but the bike ran fine. Just maybe let it warm up a bit extra and be careful of traction as frost/ice is bad news. Cold tires don't stick as well, either.

Paul
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
If starting and riding in cold conditions make sure your anti freeze is up to strength. It does dilute over time and especially if you top up your header tank with just water.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Cold Weather Starting
Because you have a wet clutch you need to know this

By: James R. Davis

For those that have been riding more than a year it probably is not new news, so consider it just a reminder.

Regardless of whether or not you have an indicator that says your bike is in neutral, ALWAYS hold your clutch all the way in when starting your bike.

Next, and this one can save you pain and damage to the bike: ALWAYS hold your front brake (HARD) before dropping the bike into gear - even when your clutch is being held all the way in.

Because you have a wet clutch, cold weather causes your oil to thicken and your clutch/flywheel tend to stick together after sitting for several hours with the engine off. Because of this, merely holding your clutch lever fully engaged is no assurance that when you drop into gear the bike will not jump forward unless you are firmly braked.
http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=232

Some more tips on Cold weather starting;

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Moder...ting-Tips.aspx

Hope its of some help.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 AM

That is cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
20F is not too cold for the bike. I've been out at -8F on the V. It was really cold, but the bike ran fine. Just maybe let it warm up a bit extra and be careful of traction as frost/ice is bad news. Cold tires don't stick as well, either.

Paul
I thought 16F was cold. You have officially been awarded your Man Card if you did not have it already.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Synthetic oil helps. I use Amsoil 0W-40 which thickens much less when cold, and still has the same viscosity at operating temperature as a 10W-40.

http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil/aff.htm
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
I would never start the motorcycle unnecessarily in cold temperatures (like people who start the bike occasionally "to keep the battery charged" but then just shut it off), but I don't have any qualms about starting it and riding it. That's what it's built for. Just ride gently until it's up to temp.
The rule of thumb I've been taught is if you start it in cold weather, you should run it for 30 minutes to heat up the oil. So I don't start it in the winter unless I am taking it for a 20-30 minute ride to make sure it gets heated up.

And as I am a older and wiser rider (over 50) I don't ride unless it is above 32F.

My 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode