Want to stay in the saddle longer and more comfortably? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Want to stay in the saddle longer and more comfortably?

Add a kidney belt to your road-riding apparel.

My first kidney belt supported my guts and lower back in the 70’s during a tremendous amount of dirt bike riding. Man, do those things make offroad moto-life more enjoyable.

At some point after I started riding the pavement, I brought along the same kidney belt and found that I could ride much longer and with less fatigue whenever I wore the thing. 30 years later it is still a staple in my riding arsenal.

Basically, the belt keeps your innards from shaking around and it also supports your lower back. When I put mine on, I typically pull in my gut, tighten the wide kidney belt, and lock the hook and loop (Velcro) fasteners.

There are many choices of kidney belts, including varying degrees of additional back protection, and of course different sizes. Even though there is a greater selection of these belts available, compared to the 70’s, I’ve never found one as good as my first one. Nowadays, the majority of kidney belts are secured via hook and loop fasteners. But I find they wear out after about a year or so of heavy use and the fastening system can then detach by itself while riding.

My first one had metal hooks and metal fasteners that offered a variety of positions for different waist sizes. Like the modern versions, this one also included some elastic fabric so the belt would give a little as you straddled your seat, and because of the metal hooks and metal fasteners back then, the snug fit just wouldn’t detach.

The earlier one also had stainless steel strips, ensconced in rubber for back support. You can find that on some of the modern ones, but the fastening system will not last as long. Regardless, I wouldn’t go for a longer ride without one!

You should be able to buy one from any motorcycle accessories dealer, although more often than not, they will be with the dirt bike apparel.

Do you have a favourite kind of motorcycle kidney belt?

Share your thoughts.

Motorcycle-Intelligence.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I used to wear one when I did a lot of tractor driving, used to feel naked without it.
It was just a steatchy belt about 6" wide with plastic stifeners and metal hook clips.
I think the large moto cross ones may be a bit too stiff but the smaller supports should be good,
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 AM

EXCELLENT suggestion! Coming from an MX background, I don't know why I didn't think of it.

1975 Kawasaki MC90
1977 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ125
1981 Yamaha YZ125
1982 Yamaha YZ125
1983 Yamaha YZ125
1984 Honda CR125
1996 Yamaha PW80 (son's)
1999 Kawasaki KX250
2001 Suzuki PW50 (son's)
2001 Yamaha YZ125
2003 Kawasaki KLX110 (son's)
2005 KTM 525 EXC Racing w/Motard set up
2009 Kawasaki Versys - I like this street bike thing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
i like this one. not as bulky as some. with a lifetime guarantee

http://www.koolbak.com/MotorcycleBelt/Kidney_Belt.html

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 AM

Maybe a good solution for plumber's butt as well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:26 AM

I ride with a Dianese spine protector which gives you the support and protection all-in-one. In fact, it has two wide velcro belts for redundancy and it fits snugly and without bulkiness under my Vanson if I take out the factory armor.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:35 AM

Hey Fastoman, don't give us fat ass amerkuns any ideas that might keep us away from exercising and watching how much junk we shove down our gullets! 10 lbs. of gut fat puts around 50 lbs. of stress on your back. If we think we can shortcut it by wearing a kidney belt, pretty soon we'll be wearing freaking panty hose for our varicose veins!
good tip, though. best thing I've found for longer rides is the REI stadium cushion.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db54 View Post
I ride with a [Bohn] spine protector which gives you the support and protection all-in-one.
+1. it feels like i'm wearing a tortoise shell, very secure.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode