Ninja 1000 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ninja 1000

I love it, but have way too many bikes already....................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-Kawasaki-Ninja-1000-static-2.jpg (165.6 KB, 1212 views)

Bikes:
2011 Kawasaki Versys (expected soon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Triumph Speedmaster (current)
2007 Buell XB STT Lightning (Sold)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Harley Fatbob (Current)
2007 Triumph Speedmaster (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha Raider (Sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S (Sold)
1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 06:24 PM

There's no such a thing as too many bikes. You might not have

a large enough garage
a large enough bank account
enough points in your driver license

I've been toying with the idea of a larger more powerful sport tourer. The C14 seems to much for the kind of riding I do. I do long streches on the freeway but only on the way to the two lane black top mountain roads I really enjoy. This one looks like a nice middle of the road. I wonder if I will loose any of the convenience of the Versys. I commute to work every day weather permits in the Versys.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post

a large enough garage

I've been toying with the idea of a larger more powerful sport tourer. The C14 seems to much for the kind of riding I do. I do long streches on the freeway but only on the way to the two lane black top mountain roads I really enjoy. This one looks like a nice middle of the road. I wonder if I will loose any of the convenience of the Versys. I commute to work every day weather permits in the Versys.
Check out the Triumph Tiger 1050. I owned a C14 and I currently own a Versys. The Tiger 1050 is like crossbreed of both.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:

a large enough garage

Got more than enough garage space, no demerit points on my license, but point 2 is the kicker, o well back to working for the man it is to keep my one bike going!
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:59 PM

I want one of these badboys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPgFn...yer_embedded#!

It'll do wheelies plus there is a new more powerful 24v version for those that have a 'need for speed"!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 11-02-2010 at 10:24 PM.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:

a large enough garage

When I sell my Triumph Scrambler I will trade in my Moto Guzzi Griso for a Ninja 1000. When the bags become available I can use the same bags for the Ninja as for the Versys.

04 Triumph Bonneville 904 SE
08 Suzuki B King
10 Kawasaki 650 Versys
Vietnam 1969-1971
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 09:12 PM

I'm vertically challenged. I do not believe a Tiger is for me
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 04:41 PM

I like it, but man is it heavy compared to the zx10. If it were only 20lbs or something I would be okay, but it's like 40lbs+. Other than that it is very cool.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'm vertically challenged. I do not believe a Tiger is for me
If you can ride a Versys you can ride a Tiger.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 02:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
It is definitely a bike I am looking at, very carefully. I loved the Z1000 I test rode last summer, just wished it had hard luggage and a bigger windscreen. Presto! Kawasaki answers my wishes with this new Ninja. Now, if only my better half will say OK...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 11:12 PM

this bike is like a Triumph SprintGT, which has caught my eye. the GT comes with an electrified topbox and i think heated grips. the Kawi has better spec'd forks and brakes. i think that triple would sway me, but again, glad i'm not in the market.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehos View Post
If you can ride a Versys you can ride a Tiger.
+1 I flat foot my tiger easier than I did my versys!!
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 AM

Ninja 1000 test - I was about to let my "Motorcycle Consumer News" subsription lapse... until I read my last issue that said they will be publishing their Ninja 1000 test next month... I'm interested enough to pay the $40 to find out what they think about this bike. More wind protection than my V would be nice. But I think my V has more garage appeal.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:36 AM

Here is the first test:
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...ide-90086.html

and the conclusion:
Conclusion

The $10,999 Ninja 1000 is scheduled to be available some time in December.
In a word, the bike works. For a lot of riders who aren’t interested in trackdays or racing, it makes more sense than a racer with lights.
As it is, it virtually is a racer anyway. It’s just slightly less focused than a ZX-10R with its extra 66 pounds of weight, but with improved bottom-end power and friendlier ergos.
Everything we’ve said we like about the Z1000 applies to this bike, and it comes with more wind protection, fuel capacity and versatility for $400 more=What’s not to like?

My Album:
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Ninja 1000 test - I was about to let my "Motorcycle Consumer News" subsription lapse...
there will be plenty of reviews online. here's the end of another review from a few days ago...

Quote:
The Ninja 1000 is an excellent motorcycle. After just one day of testing, coupled with our knowledge of the Z1000 from earlier tests, we can confidently say the Ninja 1000 is an outstanding motorcycle, and one of the most versatile motorcycles we have ever ridden. There is very little compromise in this machine. Can it run with sport bikes in the twisties? No question about it, and it will exit corners harder than most sport bikes without paying too much attention to where the tachometer is pointing when you pull the trigger. Does it work droning along in a straight line on the super slabs? Absolutely, and rider fatigue wonít be much different than the fatigue experienced on a modern sport tourer. Touring, commuting, play riding on the weekends . . . the Ninja 1000 can clearly do all of these things, and do them quite well. The 5 gallon fuel tank (1 more gallon than the Z1000) should provide plenty of range (although we didnít take fuel consumption figures at the press launch, we traveled over 120 hard riding miles without refueling, and the bike seemed to have a fair amount of gas left).

Will the Ninja 1000 sell well in the United States? That is hard to predict, but American attitudes certainly work against it. Younger riders want pure sport bikes, regardless of the fact that these bikes are generally slower on the street. These riders wonít think about the fact that they canít live above 10,000 RPM on public highways. Nevertheless, there seems to be emerging a more mature, thoughtful American consumer for motorcycles. This could be the Ninja 1000ís saving grace. These consumers will get an extraordinarily versatile motorcycle. They will get a motorcycle at a price significantly below the price of the latest-and-greatest, open-class superbike, while benefiting from many of the same top shelf components and performance capabilities. Oh yeah, and they might also save some money on chiropractor visits and Advil purchases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
But I think my V has more garage appeal.
true. the thou is not the prettiest thing in the world. but i guess it'd do.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the review links! The thing I always am skeptical of is - the reviewers rely on supporting themselves through advertising. It would be so easy for them to be biased to not offend their advertisers. So, in the end, all bikes reviewed are "fantastic". That's why I'm waiting for the MCN tests. They have nothing to gain and nothing to lose stating their true opinions.

Now, Kawasaki, how about something right between the Versys and the Ninja 1000 - a 785cc, 3 cylinder "Ver-ja 800" or "Nin-sys 800" ? ;o) [I know, I know, 3 cylinders are for Triumphs]. I think 4 bangers are too smooth, too boring, thrust without the enjoyable lumpiness of a 2 or 3 banger.
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 03:35 PM

Garage
Kawasaki needs to bring the Z750R to the states!! I would have bought that bike instead of the Versys.

Mark

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:57 PM
cls

I like the idea of the 750, as well. However, either bike would need lower weight and higher grade suspension to get my money.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:08 PM

Sorry to drag up an old post but I just read an article in motorcyclist magazine about the new Ninja 1000. This could be my next bike depending on what's available in 2 or 3 years. I'll hold out for the green though, love the color, love the ABS.... ....hope they'll let us have ABS soon, it's becoming a "must have" for my next bike.

post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 PM

Thanks for dragging up the "old post"! Can't really get enough of the new Ninja. I read the shootout of the z1000, Duc MS, and VFR. I think the z1000 won, and I think the Ninja would have been better; wind protection and baggable(is that a word?) Can't wait to see one in person. I can live with the ebony!

My Album:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode