New Honda for 2011 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Honda for 2011

This is not for me, I am not a fan of the V-tec engine. I understand the Valve adjustment is like $800 and needs to be checked every 16k miles. And also Honda does not sell the tool anymore to adjust the V-tec Valves. So you are forced to go to the dealer to have it done.

Not to mention the 530#'s to toss around.

Honda Crossrunner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 01:18 PM

to bad we can't buy the Honda XL 700 V Transalp, seems like that would be a great modest adventure bike.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM

Wow! I would have to say that this is the ugliest bike I have seen this century! ...and peak torque at 9500 rpm? ...with torque figures that are 1/2 the horsepower? Its a neat idea for a bike, but the execution of the idea appears lacking...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapntx View Post
This is not for me, I am not a fan of the V-tec engine.
ditto, i liked the gear-driven motor better. power/torque output was lovely. i think i could handle the weight, my vfr was about the same. wasn't as bulky, though. [shrugs]

otoh, there's this:

better late than never.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Sorry its **** and further more a boring Honda
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 04:44 PM

I like the look of the Euro model MUCH better, but either is overkill for me. The new Tiger is more my liking, my handle here notwithstanding...lol.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

I cant have any more Liter bikes I lack Discipline with the throttle. Cant seem to keep them out of the triple digit speeds, that HP is very addicting

Todd
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 06:16 PM

When you read the article about it, the idea sounds very appealing. However, when you see the picture makes you think thet "Cross" something for Honda means "fugly looking vehicle".
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 PM

i agree, Boricua, the bike sounds like a winner in concept (a bigger versys) and i like the flat saddle. 5.7 gallons at ~45mpg should be a nice range. seems like a nice 2up traveling machine. the look might grow on me -- i thought the versys was a freak on first sight. and i'm impressed (surprised) that honda has actually come up with some new, not-a-cruiser models. they just made the wrong call with that vtec.

i though honda was going to make it hard for people to choose between the three 800s, but they really didn't. this bike is nothing at all like the Tigers.

looks like they have a 1200cc, v4, GS/S10/Stelvio in the pipe. link. those beasts aren't my cuppa tea right now, but at least it's something new.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 11-02-2010 at 07:29 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 09:18 PM

Well, I think they look awesome.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:01 PM

I dont know why everybody is hating on a bike they have probably never ridden. They mighta heard from their brothers mothers cousin that the VTEC is a bitch to work on or its very costly or the VTEC engagement sucks or whatever it may be . The truth is, unless you have experience with it, whatever you hear is probably not true. I have a 05' VFR 800 VTEC with 87,000 miles on it. I adjusted the valves myself at 21,000 and it wasnt that hard of a job to do if youve adjusted valves before. YOU DO NOT NEED A SPECIAL TOOL. I dont know why this is spread around everywhere. It is costly IF THEY NEED ADJUSTMENT, but thats on any bike. I remember paying around $650 for a valve adjustment on my CBR because almost every one was out. Mine were all in spec at 21,000 and I didnt bother to check again until 64,000 and 2 exhaust valves were just a hair out. Just to have them checked is a couple hundred bucks (depends on where you go) I personally would never go to a dealership for anything because they over price and under deliver consistently (at least for me). This has been an extemely reliable bike for me minus some electrical/charging issues that were quite easy to sort out. Hondas never look good on paper, you have to RIDE a bike to determine how good it is. I bet as soon as you move faster than 5mph the weight disappears (as it does on my VFR)

Last edited by BAMF-Betty; 11-02-2010 at 10:04 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
to bad we can't buy the Honda XL 700 V Transalp, seems like that would be a great modest adventure bike.

In history of motorcycle, there is not more boring bike than the TRANSLAP series
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 10:14 AM

I find it funny how Europeans and American tastes seem to be very different This style of bike seems to go down well here across in europe yet from what I see here not across in the states
Any ideas why?

Silverman
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Who's calling that a naked? The 800 V-Tec engine, IMHO, is unnecessarily complicated. The more there is, the more there is to go wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode