Concours 14 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Concours 14

I was at my local delearship picking up some supplies and sat on a 2017 Concours 14. That bike is pretty bad ass! Any thoughts from anyone. Has anyone owned or ridden one, is so, thoughts and how did it perform?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I put 30,000 miles on a 2012. Amazing continental touring bike. 90 mph feels like 55 mph. Hits 90 in 2nd gear.

It is a beast on tight twisty roads though.

Kept getting in trouble on it. Fortunately not while going triple digits across Texas.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:36 PM

I had a 2008. The power was awesome, very smooth on the interstate, and from everyone I've talked to they will go over 100K no problem. I just wasn't comfortable on long rides - 6'3" w/ not the best knees. It was much more fun out on open roads than around town. If my knees cooperated with it, I would probably have kept it and then just picked up my V instead of trading it in.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0269 View Post
I had a 2008. The power was awesome, very smooth on the interstate, and from everyone I've talked to they will go over 100K no problem. I just wasn't comfortable on long rides - 6'3" w/ not the best knees. It was much more fun out on open roads than around town. If my knees cooperated with it, I would probably have kept it and then just picked up my V instead of trading it in.
Did you put bar risers or lower the foot pegs? That's my issue, I'm 6-7 and don't want to spend a lot of money and not like it.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Had a FJR a buddy had a C-14. Both are similar but the connie has more engine. I lowered the pegs put bar risers on it and highway pegs. Not matter what i did i couldn't make it comfortable for me with the sport seating position...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 05:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
Did you put bar risers or lower the foot pegs? That's my issue, I'm 6-7 and don't want to spend a lot of money and not like it.
Did you sit on the bike? At 6'7" you definitely would not need risers. That would put you too upright and not in a sport touring position. I'm 5'11" and never used risers.

Definitely test ride one.

For your height, I would recommend checking out the Triumph Explorer 1200. Powerful, smooth, a large motorcycle.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Did you sit on the bike? At 6'7" you definitely would not need risers. That would put you too upright and not in a sport touring position. I'm 5'11" and never used risers.

Definitely test ride one.

For your height, I would recommend checking out the Triumph Explorer 1200. Powerful, smooth, a large motorcycle.
I did sit on it. It felt good, I would definitely test ride one before. There is a place in the area where I can actually rent one for a couple days.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I've got an '08 ZX14 which is (sorta) the same thing - I used bar risers by Gen Mar (plug for them: I had a cap corrode and they replaced it under lifetime warranty.)

That and heated clothing and I'm a happy little boy with a speed limit problem.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:

I had bar risers on it, which made it more comfortable as far as reach goes, but I didn't put a peg lowering kit on it. I thought about it, but I would have needed to replace the exhaust in order to do so - the previous owner had a dual exhaust system installed, and the pipes would have blocked any attempt to lower the pegs. I also put on a Vstream tall windshield on it, which definitely helped with buffeting at highway speeds.

I did try some highway bars that I found on Advanced Sport Touring. They helped a little, but not what I wanted. Good concept and decent quality, but I was always worried that I'd scratch the heck out of the fairing trying to put them down with my foot, and they don't recommend leaving them down as they don't have any lateral movement built into them which could cause issues if they hit the ground in aggressive cornering. Here's the site for them:

https://www.advancedsporttouring.com...s_p/c14-14.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:32 PM

Garage
Too many guys tried to take the sport out of the sport touring position the Concours was designed for.

Instead, I worked on my core muscles and adapted to the bike. I did several 4000 mile tours on that bike. Picked up all the northeastern states and northern central states on the Concours. I kept the windshield in the lowest position to stay in the clean air above it and have the wind on my chest help hold me up. The only time I raised it was when freezing cold or heavy rain.

You can move the pegs an inch back which helps for longer legs while retaining the sport touring riding position.

You will be amazed at the linear power output. The lack of sensation of speed can get you in trouble. It is a big bike and top heavy so smaller riders had trouble doing parking lot maneuvers.

I only traded mine off because I had a chance to try a triumph trophy se at a crazy reduced price.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Too many guys tried to take the sport out of the sport touring position the Concours was designed for.

Yea, Anyone taller than a midget....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Yea, Anyone taller than a midget....
I thought I needed risers when I first got it, but I knew it would throw off the rider triangle. I really needed the grips an inch closer to me, but not higher. The sargent seat allowed me to sit an inch closer to the tank with support under me.

Moving the pegs back give longer legged riders more room without trying to turn the bike into a goldwing riding position. Those that spent $1000 changing the ergonomics bought the wrong bike.

At 5'11", the Concours was a formidable beast to waddle around when loaded for a tour. Never dropped mine, but there was a running " dropped my bike " thread on the Concours forum I frequented.

A 6'7" guy with bad knees would be more comfortable on one of the big adventure touring bikes.
weljo2001 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:27 AM

I have a friend who has a 2014 and loves it. He is 6'3" and lean and only rides 200-300 miles at the most per day. It works for him in that regard. Probably not for you and your size. The larger KTM or BMW adventure bikes would be perfect for your size. Try before you buy. Good luck.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I know a little bit about them, and the older concours too.

https://sites.google.com/site/shooda...g/concours1400

Steve
quexpress likes this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post

Steve
I was wondering when you were going to post Steve. If Kawasaki would have at least kept up with the competition I would still be riding one.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:18 AM

I'm 6'1" with long legs, The one thing on my C14 that has helped the most is a higher custom seat. I have two Laam seats, the first is standard height and is comfortable, the second is at least 1 1/2 inches higher and that extra height along with lower pegs are perfect. No fatigue or stiffness after long rides like with the standard height seat. I would add risers only after upgrading the seat.

BTW, thinking of getting Versys 650 to change up my commute a bit.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
I'm 6'1" with long legs, The one thing on my C14 that has helped the most is a higher custom seat. I have two Laam seats, the first is standard height and is comfortable, the second is at least 1 1/2 inches higher and that extra height along with lower pegs are perfect. No fatigue or stiffness after long rides like with the standard height seat. I would add risers only after upgrading the seat.

BTW, thinking of getting Versys 650 to change up my commute a bit.
While the Connie is intoxicating, the Versys can definitely bring out the hooligan buried inside. I put on 60,000 miles between the two of them. I believe they compliment each other nicely.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
While the Connie is intoxicating, the Versys can definitely bring out the hooligan buried inside. I put on 60,000 miles between the two of them. I believe they compliment each other nicely.
That's what I'm talking about! I would have a hard time giving up my V1k. I would want both. Guess I'll have to wait to pay off my truck. Thanks for all the feedback gents!!
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post

Steve
Thanks for the feedback. I live in an urban type city so the V1k is perfect. I would want the Connie for long rides when I can get out on the highway and stretch her legs.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm a hoolie on both the 14 and the v650... the difference is that one of them will get me thrown under the jail easier than the other. Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode