Shift point rpm's - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Shift point rpm's

For everyday, non spirited riding, at what rpm do you shift? I up shift at between 4.5K and 5K, and down shift at around 3K.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I am done with up shifting by 4K and down shift depends but gradually done so the engine doest drag too much.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 AM

For normal flat/downhill conditions I shift anywhere from 3-3.5k and down shift between 2-2.5k. If i am riding normal and going up hill i shift around 4k and if i am trying to beat another vehicle off the line or squeeze into traffic i will shift around 5k. I find that i can get ahead of pretty much anything without going too much higher than 5k. I also ride for high mpgs, i average around 58 mpgs (standard units non of this UK gallon nonsense).

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 PM

Now I know why I'm not getting the mileage some of the other folks are!
The bike seems to smooth out at 6k, I'll usually shift by 8 or so...
That's for sporty riding, around town I'll shift by 5.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 PM

4000/5000/6000...downhill/flat/uphill or thereabouts for up shifting roundabouts.

Downshifting all depends on how fast I need to stop.

Went a little sideways stopping yesterday, accelerating into and across traffic then stopping for a left in a turn lane in time. A fella with a horse trailer thought he was doing me a favour letting me merge but there was faster traffic coming up on his left side I had to also beat, and was running out of pavement. Was and a bit dusty. Over applied the back brake as opposed to the front, fortunately.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 PM

Gotta ring the little 650's neck most of the time. If I'm lazing around, I shift about 5k, but if I'm riding in a spirited pace, then I shift around 8k...power takes a nose dive after that.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 PM

Garage
When ever I feel the bike has been singing enough. Love to run it up through the RPM's!

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Observed what i did on a gentle ride into town today, change up around 4500rpm, around town in the 50km/h or 30 mile/hr zone running around 4000rpm
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 AM

generally go with the flow.. but having said that like to ride in the 5..7k rpm band, downshift around 4,500..3,500, up a gear when I feel the bike and the road can take it without loading up the engine to much. very rarely go above 8KRPM
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 AM

When cruising in traffic I try to keep it at least near 5k rpm, to have instant power available. Lower than that and you either accelerate very slowly or need the time to first downshift and then gun it.

For regular/relaxed riding I upshift at 6k, downshift when it reaches 4k.
For spirited riding I take it to 8.5k and I downshift when it reaches 5k.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 01:51 PM

9k for a trial but feel that theres no real need to shift higher than 5k as the torque powers you very well will out having to rag it
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 02:48 PM

I assume everyone is talking oem sprockets here. Wouldn't higher front/lower rear make a difference?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 03:51 PM

Around 4k 'round town - 8k if I am in need of a fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I assume everyone is talking oem sprockets here. Wouldn't higher front/lower rear make a difference?
I have a 43T rear sprocket, which I believe makes only about 500 rpm difference at the same speed.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Now I know why I'm not getting the mileage some of the other folks are!
The bike seems to smooth out at 6k, I'll usually shift by 8 or so...
That's for sporty riding, around town I'll shift by 5.
+1
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:47 PM

+2
Yeah, some of you thought you bought a cruiser.

Anything under about four grand is lugging this bike. It's built to sing, let 'er go to five to six thousand to shift. Mine never sees 3-grand except from a full stop.

Gearing has no bearing on RPM, only the speed at a given rpm. I'm starting to understand why some riders want to gear up - they are loafers and want to cruise at five thousand. That's not where this engine is happy, and not in it's peak power band.

On open roads I may see seven grand for many miles before backing off. But yeah, it only gets about 42 if you run it a little harder. Unless you're trying to squeeze miles out of what you have left so you don't run out, I don't understand what difference it makes if it gets 40 or 50 mpg. A fill up is never more than a few bucks and good for a couple of hundred miles.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
+2

Anything under about four grand is lugging this bike. It's built to sing, let 'er go to five to six thousand to shift. Mine never sees 3-grand except from a full stop.

Gearing has no bearing on RPM, only the speed at a given rpm. I'm starting to understand why some riders want to gear up - they are loafers and want to cruise at five thousand. That's not where this engine is happy, and not in it's peak power band.

On open roads I may see seven grand for many miles before backing off. But yeah, it only gets about 42 if you run it a little harder. Unless you're trying to squeeze miles out of what you have left so you don't run out, I don't understand what difference it makes if it gets 40 or 50 mpg. A fill up is never more than a few bucks and good for a couple of hundred miles.

I've often thought this too...

No offense meant to any one who chooses to ride in a conservative, easy manner....

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN
+2

I've often thought this too...

No offense meant to any one who chooses to ride in a conservative, easy manner....

+3
It depends on what gear I'm in, but usually 1-2 shift around 8k, 2-3 7k, 3-4 6.5k, 4-5 6.5k, 5-6 varies depending on what the speed limit is...or what I feel I can get away with, but its usually 5k for easy going and 6.5-7k for spirited. The motor vibes the most at 4.5k so I hardly ever keep it in that range. Vibes are gone by 5k and butter smooth at 6k.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 PM

+4

It's about the feel of what the engine behaves rather than looking at the rpm.
Not to worry, after some miles, you're be like a pro.
The important riding thrill is to get the upshifting/downshifting smooth without any jerks while on the move.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 09:08 AM

+5 I do however shift early (around 2k) when heading out of the neighborhood early in the morning so I don't wake the retirees. She loves 6k-8k as do I.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode