Small Dealer set up rant - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Small Dealer set up rant

Why don't dealerships set up the suspension for each new bike they sell? Come on, not all of us are 5-8, 150lbs. When I picked up my bike, I asked the sales guy about setting the sag for my weight and he looked at me like I had a third eye. When we went to the shop to go over the set up and basic maintenance, I asked the shop guy and got the same look.

I have a local shop that I have been taking my KLR to for about a year. The guy knows his stuff, he's going to set up Versys for me. But, why should I have to pay extra to set up a brand new bike.

Mark

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle

Last edited by Markk9; 11-01-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM

That is something a shop should do for a new owner. I guess they are wankers and tell'em I said so:-)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 06:51 PM

It tells how to do this in the owners manual, its more of an individual thing. Most techs at a dealership know very little about suspension settings.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw View Post
It tells how to do this in the owners manual, its more of an individual thing. Most techs at a dealership know very little about suspension settings.

I know, but it's some much easier to have help. The shop should be able to set the sag. Sag is a by rider weight thing, shop should be able to set that for the new owner. Setting the rebound is very personal thing, depends a lot on riding style.

Mark

Mark

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:57 PM

It does seem like a simple thing to do and would improve safety to have it set up correctly. That being said, I wouldn't trust my local stealership guys to hand me the correct oil let alone do bike set up.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 PM

Yeah, not for a streetbike they wouldn't. There is only a preload and rebound damping adjust, there's not that much to setup. They put them at the factory settings and deliver the bike. It's up to you to make changes based on how you'll use the bike.

It's not a progressive damping shock so there really isn't an ideal sag setting. You set the preload to suit the weight you're carrying, one, two-up, lugggage, etc. It's not like a dirtbike, that's for sure. And about half the travel.

As basic as our stupid shock is it's a wonder it works as well as it does. For those it can't make happy there's hyperpro or other aftermarket suspension techs.

Same for the front. Who ever heard of putting all the preload and damping adjust in one leg? That's just stupid. Cheap is what comes to mind. But it works ok as long as you're not pushing the limits of its capability.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 11:02 PM

They set mine up backward. They asked my weight and all so they could set up the bike. I am about 320 all geared up so it should be set close to max. But they set it up almost at minimum everything. I guess clock-wise and counter-clock-wise are beyond them.

Lesson learned. From now on I go through the bike before I leave the dealer. No more trusting dealers to know what they are doing.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, if you take the $ you should keep the customer satisfied, as a business myself that is what I try to do.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
+3 and all the know is selling and apart from that if you ask them to do anything - well they can screw-up which they are very good at, so best get a friend to help.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Yeah, not for a streetbike they wouldn't. There is only a preload and rebound damping adjust, there's not that much to setup. They put them at the factory settings and deliver the bike. It's up to you to make changes based on how you'll use the bike.

It's not a progressive damping shock so there really isn't an ideal sag setting. You set the preload to suit the weight you're carrying, one, two-up, lugggage, etc. It's not like a dirtbike, that's for sure. And about half the travel.

As basic as our stupid shock is it's a wonder it works as well as it does. For those it can't make happy there's hyperpro or other aftermarket suspension techs.

Same for the front. Who ever heard of putting all the preload and damping adjust in one leg? That's just stupid. Cheap is what comes to mind. But it works ok as long as you're not pushing the limits of its capability.
+1, Chris is right, this bike is pretty fundamental. It's part of the reason for the good price point. Most vehicles are designed to accommodate the 85th percentile, in other words they work with 85% of the population reasonably well. In this case the particularly light and short rider, as well as the particularly heavy and tall ones are SOL. Sometimes genetics really suck. Kawasaki really did an amazing job when you think about the wide range of people who are very satisfied with the Versys.

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
Kawasaki really did an amazing job when you think about the wide range of people who are very satisfied with the Versys.
I'm very satisfied with my Versys, just not with the dealer's service department. I'm sorry, but I believe they should be able to set the suspension up for me, my size and weight. I don't need it to be race ready, but they should be able get a better set up than stock.

Mark

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post

+1, Chris is right, this bike is pretty fundamental. It's part of the reason for the good price point. Most vehicles are designed to accommodate the 85th percentile, in other words they work with 85% of the population reasonably well. In this case the particularly light and short rider, as well as the particularly heavy and tall ones are SOL. Sometimes genetics really suck. Kawasaki really did an amazing job when you think about the wide range of people who are very satisfied with the Versys.

V-Zee

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode