Front wheel wobble - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Front wheel wobble

Last Saturday I was doing some spirited riding. We were doing about +105mph in the straights and sweepers in the +60 to +80mph range where I felt a strange wobble in the front tire while in the apex of a couple of turns. First I though about road surface or some cross winds but felt it more than once. Once on a left turn and at least once on a right (I think). I installed a pair of Dunlop Roadsmarts about 1K miles ago. I'm very familiar with the road and don't recall this ever happening while riding with the OEM tires.

Need to mention that I don't usually ride at those speeds. I just couldn't resist harrasing the two guys in the crotch rockets riding ahead of me

Could it be the new tires?

Ideas and experience based opinions are welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 04:21 PM

Could be bearings. Lift the front and see if you can move the wheel side/side.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Are they balanced and at 32 psi front, 36 psi rear? Were you going any faster than with OEM tires? Did you replace the stock windscreen for a taller one, and/or have you added hand guards?

Last edited by invader; 11-01-2010 at 04:44 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM

Wheel balance? How much air are you running in the tire?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:05 PM

sounds like a fun ride..what roads were you on?
and how many miles on your bike? the shop that did the tires should have checked steering bearings, etc.
maybe it just felt loose since you were going faster than usual?..lets go ride & test that theory.

Scott
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Pressure was 32/36, checked before I went out, balance was checked. Bearings? Should the wobble be there all (most) of the time? doubt it. Did some twisties recently, tighter turns less speed, lot more lean, no wobble, will double check tonight. Tires and service is done by Kawa techs, not too concerned about quality of service.

Yes, I was going a heck of a lot faster than usual. I usualy ride alone. When by myself I keep the speed under control. The used the guys riding ahead as early warning

Road CO 105 (Perry Park road) between Monument and Sedalia. Not a big ride but close to home. Low traffic, decent surface. Two lane blacktop mostly sweepers. Left a herd of curisers behind and went on to play with the guys in the sport bikes.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:03 PM

Sounds like the front end was just uncompressing because of acceleration. Leaned over and accelerating at high speed will generally leave you feeling some front-end wobble. A steering stabilizer will help mask the issue, but really some fancy fork springs and oil will be the real solution. That's my guess anyway.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Do you still have the handlebar weights as oem
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Just went over some reading about it. There can be a million things that can cause it, tires, bearings, road, and uneven loaded bike. The list is long. The one thing common is that happens at high speed. We were riding at a pretty fast clip. The first time I noticed it I was going over one of the sweepers and the guy in front of me pull the break late into the turn (late for me anyway). I had to correct my line and go wide to make sure we both had room. I ended up right on the double yellow line. That was scary since I thought, "oh, crap there’s a car coming my way" or "oh, crap here goes my traction and there's a car coming my way". Fortunately, none of that happened. I stayed in my lane and did not lose traction. I had to work hard to stay in my line while minimizing lean. That is when I first felt the wobble. The second time I could barely feel it so I did not paid much attention about what was going on.

Anyway will keep reading and going down the checklist of what could be wrong. Maybe I just need to slow down a little. That would be the first thing to try and the first thing to drop if I can find another reason
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman65 View Post
Do you still have the handlebar weights as oem
Yes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode