• 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By james75
  • 1 Post By kballowe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Cloudy oil level window

Hey, just took my bike out of storage and changed the oil with rotella Dino (was going to get the t5, but noticed it didn't have jaso rating listed in back).

I went for a shirt ride and put it in the garage, a couple hours later I cam out, and noticed this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170331_173447_1490998473131.jpg (26.5 KB, 94 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Short ride/ minutes or hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versace 650 View Post
Hey, just took my bike out of storage and changed the oil with rotella Dino (was going to get the t5, but noticed it didn't have jaso rating listed in back).

I went for a shirt ride and put it in the garage, a couple hours later I cam out, and noticed this.
How cold is the garage?
That looks like condensation, if it was 10'C or colder, you went for 30 to 45 minutes, parked it in 5 to 15'C garage, you will get condensation, unless of course if you have a Thermobob , then about 25 minutes running and your good.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ya, the garage is prolly around 8c. I only rode for 10 minutes lol, wasn't geared up, and got cold fast, plus there was a misty rain coming down.

So nothing to worry about?

After a long ride, should I open the oil fill cap, let the "steam" escape? I do that with my early 2000s bmw car, it rids the sludge that forms on oil cap after short rides.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
ThermoBob

Quote:
Ya, the garage is prolly around 8c. I only rode for 10 minutes lol, wasn't geared up, and got cold fast, plus there was a misty rain coming down.

So nothing to worry about?

After a long ride, should I open the oil fill cap, let the "steam" escape? I do that with my early 2000s bmw car, it rids the sludge that forms on oil cap after short rides.
The best money you will ever spend on your bike if you live in areas that get close to freezing. You would be very surprised how long it takes to get up to temperature. Best thing if you are concerned is start it up and run it for about 20 minutes in the garage under well ventilated conditions, wait until the fan comes on at least twice, that should burn off the moisture. Fan comes on around 212/F , your oil takes about 10 minutes longer to warm up after engine is at temp. A good practice is to not start the bike when below 10'C unless you plan on running it under load at highway speeds for 30 to 45 minutes minimum. Again, the ThermoBob reduces this time by at least half.
Urbanengineer likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Shoot, I had a chance to buy a thermo Bob from a local member last yr, and never got a chance to go see him.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Just an FYI, the Rotella T5 is not JASO, but the conventional and the full syn T6 both are. I run the T6 in mine.
Urbanengineer likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:

My suggestion - NEVER go for a "shirt ride", EVEN if you meant a "SHORT ride". Bad for the bike, and not GREAT for YOU...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Haha, fasteddie, you little devil you
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:09 AM

You should be fine. It's most likely condensation buildup in the crankcase that needs to be run out of there. Get the bike up to operating temp on a couple long rides and it should be gone. My very low mileage 09 versys had the same thing when I bought it last year. It was like this due to it sitting so much and after an oil change and a couple long rides, it was gone and the sight glass was clear.

2009 Blue Versys
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
Just an FYI, the Rotella T5 is not JASO, but the conventional and the full syn T6 both are. I run the T6 in mine.
I was comparing the three the other day and wondered why T5 never got the stamp of approval! I'll stick to T6 from now on.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
The Mobil1 15w-50 (and their 10w-40) are NOT JASO, but I've put somewhere OVER 100,000 miles on them w/ NO problems in my three v 650s!

I ALSO ran M1 10w-30 (w/ "friction modifiers") for about 30,000 kms in a 'Zuki Bandit 1200 w/ NO problems after chatting w/ a drag-racer who used M1 5w-30 in HIS....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:24 PM

I do a bit of service work - and in the spring..... we see many bikes where a teaspoon of water comes out with the oil change.

Short trips in cold weather - or someone that "periodically starts" the bike in winter "just to keep it lubed"
Both are a bad idea.
onewizard likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:52 AM

Garage
Quote:

Same thing happened to me. I was worried in the beginning but after a 45 minute ride, all the condensation was gone. It seems to be a common issue in cold weather areas.

Devin Lu - 2009 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode