How to put it to bed for Winter - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How to put it to bed for Winter

I wasn't sure how to search for any previous posts about this, but can someone tell a newbie how to put his first bike to bed for the winter? Today felt like it was going to be my last ride until Spring. Knock on wood.

I hate to ask bro the pro.

Thank you,
Axel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 04:46 PM

Wouldnt know my V will go through all seasons
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 06:15 PM

I pick the warmest days by watching the forecast and try to ride at least an hour every 2 to 3 weeks through the winter to get her really warmed up, battery charged, and get some fresh fuel back in...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

There are a few threads already, but this is the most current, besides yours of course...

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=12604

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

New England winter

Unfortunately, I won't be pulling the bike out of the garage during the winter months to keep her warm. So if you live in a place with 2 feet of snow on the ground from November to April, what is the process to keep the bike in good shape for the spring?

I will get a trickle charger.
Empty the tank?
Oil?

Etc.

Thank you.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:11 PM

draining the tank is the best if you can keep the bike in a dry place free from condensation. If there is the threat of condensation then a full tank with fuel stabilizer is the way to go. Condensation = rust and condensation can't form if the tank is full.

trickle charger is a good idea but not necessary. If you use a charger make sure you have it in a well ventilated area to prevent possible hydrogen gas buildup. You don't want a mini hindenburg explosion in your house. If you plan on removing the battery for charging keep it in a battery box for safety.

Putting in fresh oil is a good idea. They say oil will break down over time and do bad stuff. You should also put in new oil in the spring when you get the bike ready to ride. I personally don't do this but it couldn't hurt. Worst is you might be throwing away money based on paranoia and oil company propaganda.

Keeping the bike off the ground will prevent possible flat spots on your tires and there's also something bad about rubber being on concrete for long periods of time. I use front and rear stands for this.

those are the main one's I can think of.

It also wouldn't hurt to

1. Wash and Wax
2. Clean & Lube Chain
3. Use a motorcycle cover
4. Block the tailpipe with something to prevent rodents making a home in the muffler.
5. Thoroughly inspect the bike for any problems so you can take care of them during the winter months and not the riding months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:27 PM

Mines to save guard the Harley during winter a cracking ride and my main mode of transport.

O/K theres times when two wheels are not sensible but they are few over here.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:39 PM

My brother is in the Boston area, found out the hard way about storing the Aprillia in the shed for the winter. Mice ate up the wiring.

I would fill the tank full, add some Sta-bil, a generous spray of lubricant on the chain, kickstand, swing arm pivots, axle bolts, and anything else that might be susceptible to rust. If you have wheel lifts, that would help with flat spots on the tires, or if they lose pressure over the winter.

As for the mice, maybe a cat or some D-Con!

My Album:

Last edited by Element; 10-30-2010 at 08:42 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 PM

There's a page in the owner's manual about storing the bike for longer periods of time. Most everything has been mentioned already. I wouldn't worry about the tires being in contact with concrete as they are usually replaced at least once a year anyway. Don't start the bike through the winter if you're not planning on riding it for a spell as this will cause condensation in the engine which can lead to corrosion. Pull the battery and bring it inside where it's warm and charge it once a month or so, that's the main thing.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Thank you

Time to get the skis waxed up...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:54 AM

fill tank, blu-stabilizer, change oil, wd-40 things pron to rust, cover end of muffler, raise bike, cover bike, bring battery in & trickle charge once a month.

once this is done, its time to pull the snowmobile out for pre-ride inspection!!!!!!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
24 degrees this morning....my commuting is done for the winter...

I have a nice corner of the the garage made up for the V to rest in...

Full of fuel, stabilizer in the fuel. Trickle charger hooked up and rear wheel off the ground...don't have anyway to get the front end up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode