Bike is in the shop. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bike is in the shop.

This may seem like a ridiculous question to some but fortunately this is the first time I've brought a motorcycle in for damage.. my question is, what happens to my parts they replace? Do I get my old parts back? Ex: handguards, engine cover ,horn. It's all just comsmetic damage and I'd certainly hope I get all my old parts back just as a backup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 03:59 AM

They are your parts tell them you want them back.
Lurch71 likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
They are supposed to offer them back to you (by law).

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Assuming causes problems

I have owned bikes for 40 plus years, however my 2015 is only my second new bike. For first service I had a magnetic drain plug with me, and I posted elsewhere this dealer is awesome, I paid for a first service more of a thank you for a awesome price than a case of not being able to do it myself. Well when it was done, I asked where did you put the OEM drain plug? Yup, fished it out of the garbage, so unless you say you want the old stuff back, they assume you want them disposed of.So it is always best to be upfront, because I have had cases where it was days later after work was complete, sorry , they went in the garbage.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
always request your old parts anytime you have someone else repair/place anything, its a peace of mind it was actually replace (have had it were they dont replace parts) and also lets you inspect the old parts to see why they failed..... and you can make stuff out of the old parts if you have that kinda mind

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You can start your own "wall of shame" with the returned parts to remind you to step up your game.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Expecting to get back a perfectly good stock hand guard from my LT model. An engine cover, horn and a stock side bag. All are fine and in working condition just a few scratches. I wouldn't expect them to keep this stuff or throw it away since they are basically new, but if they try to pull a fast one on me we're gonna have a little problem.

2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHill View Post
Expecting to get back a perfectly good stock hand guard from my LT model. An engine cover, horn and a stock side bag. All are fine and in working condition just a few scratches. I wouldn't expect them to keep this stuff or throw it away since they are basically new, but if they try to pull a fast one on me we're gonna have a little problem.
If you do not ASK (i.e.: tell them) ahead of time for your parts, you risk being VERY disappointed.
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
If you do not ASK (i.e.: tell them) ahead of time for your parts, you risk being VERY disappointed.
They haven't started the work yet so i'm going give the shop a call tomorrow to be sure I get my spare parts back. Makes me wonder what the policies are for shops who just assume its okay to keep/ throw away peoples property just because its been replaced.

Thanks quexpress.
onewizard and quexpress like this.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHill View Post
You're paying for your own new parts? They'd need to keep your original parts only for a warranty or insurance claim.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

its an insurance claim. they are getting paid by my insurance to replace any scratched parts. I just don't see why they would need to keep the old parts if I want them back.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 07:59 PM

Garage
Technically the replaced parts would be the property of the insurance company if they are paying.
Duffy likes this.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Technically the replaced parts would be the property of the insurance company if they are paying.
that is my understanding as well.

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You can start your own "wall of shame" with the returned parts to remind you to step up your game.
I gotta tell ya, I had a chuckle on this one... you obviously know, riding is all about focus .... all of the time.
trialsguy and twowheeladdict like this.

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Yes....-ask- for them back and have it noted. When we do a repair job for customers, crash or other wise, we hold parts until the bike goes home just in case. Most people don't want old parts back as there was a reason they were replaced and most don't want back "stuff" that they weren't going to repair or replace by themselves in the first place. Old parts get trashed, recycled, or put on the shelf for "emergency" use or canabalizing for other bikes. We've even had people bring us their "spare" parts that have collected dust for years because they were tired of moving or storing them just taking up space!....I personally have parts of bikes I owned 20+ years ago, so I get it! 😀
silviefox likes this.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57;1354058[B
]that is my understanding as well.[/B]

Something like returning damaged tools under warranty, get them replaced and ask for them back or dig them out of the garbage, so someone else can make a second claim. Believe it or not, I bought some name brand tools off Ebay, this seller had 100's of transactions, all the same brand, slight damage but usable, some imperfections, the lazer printing was off, turns out this person worked for the company and processed defective / damaged tool claims. Took the company a while to realize what was going on as the same tools kept returning but from a different State or Country. This person was finally caught and I will stop there. Nothing stopping you from selling the parts on the forum or Ebay.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-27-2017 at 10:44 AM.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You're paying for your own new parts? They'd need to keep your original parts only for a warranty or insurance claim.
Prezactly what I was thinking. If insurance if footing the bill, the old stuff is theirs.

Science...because we don't figure things out by praying.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 04:20 PM

[quotewhat=saddlebag;1354258]Prezactly what I was thinking. If insurance if footing the bill, the old stuff is theirs.[/quote]

What happens when the insurance company pays to have it fixed and you decide not to. If you own the bike the insurance will cut the check you.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 04:28 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
[quotewhat=saddlebag;1354258]Prezactly what I was thinking. If insurance if footing the bill, the old stuff is theirs.
What happens when the insurance company pays to have it fixed and you decide not to. If you own the bike the insurance will cut the check you.[/QUOTE]

Your post is all scrambled and makes no sense whatsoever... Please fix it now.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I can see where everyone is coming from. I guess what I don't understand is this.. They are paying for the NEW parts that are going on the bike. I own the bike and everything on it damaged or not. How does the insurance company get ownership of parts I own and paid for when all they are doing is paying for the the new ones? Maybe this is a question better suited for a different forum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode