Laid my new 2016 versys down. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Laid my new 2016 versys down.

Was coming up my dads gravel driveway at about 5mph and hit the tiniest rut in the gravel. It was filled with tiny pebble sized stones. Basically felt like hitting ice I was on the ground in like 1/8 second. Banged my knee up and lost some skin on my elbow. (was wearing full protective gear). My bike only had 800 miles on it . Its in the shop currently. Missing the best weather we've had in North Carolina this year and looking around a month to get it back.

Damage includes:
Scraped engine cover left side
Scraped black plastic piece (not sure what it does exactly)
Scraped stock bark busters and hand guard
Bent my horn down.

All minor cosmetic and no paint scratches on that sexy matte orange. Ready to get back on that baby. Gonna be more careful on gravel now.

FML

2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHill View Post
Was coming up my dads gravel driveway at about 5mph and hit the tiniest rut in the gravel. It was filled with tiny pebble sized stones. Basically felt like hitting ice I was on the ground in like 1/8 second. Banged my knee up and lost some skin on my elbow. (was wearing full protective gear). My bike only had 800 miles on it . Its in the shop currently. Missing the best weather we've had in North Carolina this year and looking around a month to get it back.

Damage includes:
Scraped engine cover left side
Scraped black plastic piece (not sure what it does exactly)
Scraped stock bark busters and hand guard
Bent my horn down.

All minor cosmetic and no paint scratches on that sexy matte orange. Ready to get back on that baby. Gonna be more careful on gravel now.

FML

My foot slipping in gravel several times in parking lots was the reason i put crash bars on my V-650. Good thing i did they came in handy several times.... Sorry about your drop but it happens to all of us sooner or later. One good thing the Versys is lighter to pick up than say an FJR...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-24-2017 at 03:29 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
My foot slipping in gravel several times in parking lots was the reason i put crash bars on my V-650. Good thing i did they came in handy several times.... Sorry about your drop but it happens to all of us sooner or later. One good thing the Versys is lighter to pick up than say an FJR...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyI40dXxr8s
It definitely felt light when my idiot strength kicked in, looking at my brand new versys on the ground. I basically picked the bike up with one hand and then started yelling the worse words that came to mind at the ground.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your fall. That can happen to anyone when you least expect it. Don't ask how I know LOL!
onewizard and turn8a like this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Sorry to hear about your fall. That can happen to anyone when you least expect it. Don't ask how I know LOL!
It literally happened so fast my feet were still on the pegs when I hit the ground. It's definitely a good lesson learned. Both my brother and dad were walking behind me and they both ride fairly often.. They said the same thing "it happens to everyone at some point and it usually happens on gravel". Very true. Maybe time to invest in some crash guards since I also live on a gravel driveway at my house. Just so happens he has a different kind of gravel that is smaller and loosely packed. Luckily I was wearing a riding jacket he gave me when I was leaving. I showed up in a thin leather jacket. The Armored elbows definitely saved me from pulling pebbles out of my skin.

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC WARNING.

please suggest good crash guards. Thanks!

-Hank

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:21 AM

I just installed a pair of T-Rex guards. I learned from my KLR, if it can happen, it will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170312_173726(1).jpg (78.7 KB, 149 views)

Jim

Last edited by jims15LT; 03-25-2017 at 10:24 AM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:23 AM

$hit is bound to happen to us all sooner or later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1391.jpg (64.6 KB, 101 views)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
dont worry it happens to us all, and those who say it hasnt are full of it or they just dont really ride there bike (like a harley owner xD)

its better when you get it on video

and if you want something worse then illegal gravel try wet leafs

or just ice

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:00 PM

Garage
Sounds like you need some gravel practice. The only way the bike would go down at 5 mph is because you leaned it over or grabbed brake. I ride gravel all the time. My driveway is gravel and I ride my 900 lb touring bike on it.

You have to keep the bike upright and use only the clutch to reduce power.

Glad you had gear on and will ride again.
saddlebag likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm sure your 900 lb. touring bike is a LOT more stable on gravel than the Versys! I rode an Electra Glide for 10 years, and it was easy to ride that on all kinds of terrain (even grass and dirt) -- but the Versys is light and top-heavy (especially with a full tank), and to my mind, a lot harder to maneuver than my Electra Glide. Just my two cents.

Hank, if you want to sell/donate me your left-hand OEM handguard, PM me -- I broke mine last week. Thanks!

2015 650 Versys
Iron Butt Association
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfart View Post
$hit is bound to happen to us all sooner or later.
THAT was SOME FIELD of mud, wingfart!!!

I wouldn't enter that w/ full-knobbies....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:15 PM

Not much choice on that route. It rained all the previous night and after leaving Parrall, Mexico, we unexpectedly ran into construction. That's me giving the finger to my son who just had to take a picture.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
I'm sure your 900 lb. touring bike is a LOT more stable on gravel than the Versys! I rode an Electra Glide for 10 years, and it was easy to ride that on all kinds of terrain (even grass and dirt) -- but the Versys is light and top-heavy (especially with a full tank), and to my mind, a lot harder to maneuver than my Electra Glide. Just my two cents.

Hank, if you want to sell/donate me your left-hand OEM handguard, PM me -- I broke mine last week. Thanks!
I rode all kinds of places on my versys. Just look at the trip reports in my signature. It is not the bike, it is the rider.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

It was a washout in a driveway. Something a 35 years of experience rider went through and a 12 years experience rider and myself. Why can't we just admit that **** happens ? I'm sure several variables came in to play as to the reason why my bike went down. But you weren't there on the sidelines with a slo-mo camera so don't tell me how it went down buddy. I'm glad you haven't dropped your 900 on gravel but when you do, remember that **** happens, experience or not. That's life on two wheels.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Experience = Sh**T Happens

Quote:
It was a washout in a driveway. Something a 35 years of experience rider went through and a 12 years experience rider and myself. Why can't we just admit that **** happens ? I'm sure several variables came in to play as to the reason why my bike went down. But you weren't there on the sidelines with a slo-mo camera so don't tell me how it went down buddy. I'm glad you haven't dropped your 900 on gravel but when you do, remember that **** happens, experience or not. That's life on two wheels.

As a tradesman, one co-worker use to say if you aren't bleeding you aren't working, no one plans to get hurt, no one purposely crashes a bike, some of the recent video's shows experience/ speed, driver error on both the car and rider, which could be deadly, to make a general statement that it is the rider is just that a general statement, and in my opinion in this thread it could be offensive to some.
That pretty much covers many things, I recall people learning to ski, also recall me teaching people to XC ski, several times I was laying in the snow with egg on my face, fell over standing still, had just come down a really tricky slope. Same thing with my 07, dropped it twice in the garage, both times the kickstand had gone up. If you watch off road racing, bikes go over all the time, nothing to do with experience. My crash in September had nothing to do with the rider or experience, other than the FRESH GRAVEL sign should have had a 3rd word UNGRADED 6 inches deep. I got lucky, noticed something didn't look right, got about 100 feet before going over, front wheel was plowing gravel and not turning, took two of us to get it up, and in first gear with one pushing from behind to get to the shoulder, flag guy, road crew and grader were all down a second branch of road, the supervisor had also gone a mile down the road in a Gator, so no one was doing their job, a car would have crashed as well, only thing happened was a few scratches on the barkbusters and a few on the Trekker case. So my opinion , the previous post , It is not the bike, it is the rider. Was a poor choice of words and a poor explanation.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-26-2017 at 11:09 AM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes, stuff happens. But it happens less to those who hone their skills and are prepared for washouts, obstacles, frost on the road, etc. learning from experiences instead of just saying **** happens is how you live to be a 35 year rider with over 300,000 miles covered.

Just saying it shouldn't have happened, and definitely should never happen to you again if you work on improving your skills. When we as a society just say **** happens instead of analyzing what happened and how can I be sure it doesn't happen again we are more prone to repeat.

There are several good books out there that point out the hazards we face when riding so you can learn from others instead of having to learn from experiencing **** happens again and again.

"Proficient Motorcycling" series by David Hough and "Street Strategies" by David Hough are great places to start.

If we stop asking ourselves, "how could I have done that better" we never grow as riders or people. Hope you take my words as wanting to help and not as a cut down.

You went from tiniest rut in your original post to washout in the post I quoted. That paints a different picture, doesn't it.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 03-26-2017 at 12:48 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post

, It is not the bike, it is the rider. Was a poor choice of words and a poor explanation.

I think it is the perfect choice of words. it is the rider skill that keeps a bike on two wheels. Whether that means knowing not to attempt to ride a certain road or not. It is the rider. Can't blame a machine for a rider's decisions.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You went from tiniest rut in your original post to washout in the post I quoted. That paints a different picture, doesn't it.
I don't ever remember saying it shouldn't have happened..The rut was caused by rain going through a dip in the driveway and leaving several kinds of loose deposits. In my definition of a washout all I meant was that it was caused by rain and consisted of deposits left by said rain. Maybe the sooner you realize all your books and miles travelled cant save you from something you cant foresee (assuming your not a psychic) the better off you will be as a rider. I accept my fault in laying the bike down but I'm not convinced "honing" my skills or reading a book could have saved me from that incident. Luckily I grew up on dirt and know how to take a fall. In my opinion that's a pretty useful skill in and of itself. Thanks for the input from everyone, this was definitely an experience I can learn from. I still stand by my point that "stuff" happens. Even to the most seasoned riders.

-Hank
onewizard likes this.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
SW-Motech crash bars

SW-Motech crash bars work great at protecting the bike in a drop or minor crash. They will usually pay for themselves in prevented damage.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
SW-Motech crash bars work great at protecting the bike in a drop or minor crash. They will usually pay for themselves in prevented damage.
I checked those out on revzilla. A little pricey for how minimal they appear to be. I believe they would work ok but they look like just a single bar. Id like to find something with more of a cage like build. Do you think those crash bars would protect the fearings or just the engine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode