Too much fuel Consumption! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Too much fuel Consumption!

Hey,

I have a '10 new versys model (with 3.000km in it) and it's spending fuel like a crazy horse!!! it's spending 7l/100km, or, MPG: 32.8 .

My riding is only in town, doing 8km twice or 4 times a day, with a LOT of stops due to Traffic light.

Can anyone tell me some tips ou tricks to reduced in a bit (lot) this consumption?

Best regards!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:24 AM

I would be interested to know also since mine has dropped from 380kms to 340kms a tank...not a big drop but the other day I ran out of fuel due to this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:34 AM

I'm not a scientist, but I've read that increased ethanol content will decrease kpg/mpg. My understanding is that the ethanol does not burn as well as gasoline (or something like that). Therefore, the engine runs less efficiently. Has there been a recent change in gasoline/ethanol mixture? I have always had about 48 mpg with a mix of highway/town riding.

In the US, I believe current ethanol content is about 10%. As long as I've been riding, the ethanol content has been the same. I recently read that the US government will allow a 20% ethanol content in the fairly near future. Gas stations will need to clearly indicate what pumps are using the 20% mixture, as this will adversely effect many older vehicles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:45 AM

cold weather knocks off the milage on mine from around 200 to 180. but thats low even in town. Checking the TPs would be my first port of call. Or go for a decent run and see where fuel bars go? will give a rough idea if town/your riding is responsible? Going mad or slow seesm to return smilair milage on these by the way.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 11:49 AM

On my V, I’ve been getting right around 50 MPG all summer (temps between 70°-90°). Now that the temps have dropped into the low 50°s & 40°s the mileage has dropped as low as 41 MPG — And it’s not a “winter mix/ethanol” issue because when we get an unusually warm day (70°s) the MPG goes right back up to around 50.

My other bike (an ’86 Honda Shadow w/carburetors) would consistently do the same thing.

This seemed counter intuitive to me because the colder/denser air should contain more oxygen and (at least with the carbs) be likely to produce more power... but my buddy (a pilot) suggested that it may actually be due to the increased wind resistance of the colder/denser air.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 AM

colder/denser air does contain more oxygen = hence more fuel required to maintain ratio.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 12:14 PM

Mine has always gotten lousy gas mileage around town, and I will be interested to see if it improves after I get my valves serviced. Everything else is spot on. Even though your bike is new, it could be that your valves need adjusting. You would not be the first new V that needed this. In fact, it's probably a good idea to do it after a couple thousand KM break in anyways.

Anyone else care to comment along this line?

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 133bhp View Post
colder/denser air does contain more oxygen = hence more fuel required to maintain ratio.
But the V does not have an O2 sensor, in North America anyways.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

I've ridden in other conditions before comming to town and I've done as much as 48 mpg... so I suspect it might be my driving skills (or lack of)

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 PM

Ethanol has a lower energy content that gasoline. A 10% ethanol fuel mixture gets about 10% less miles per gallon than gasoline. I was riding once from Cincinnati to Memphis and was getting 135 miles per tank on my Honda before having to flip to reserve. I filled up at a Love's gas stop that had the 10% ethanol mix and had to flip at 125 miles. I filled up the same, rode the same (75 mph cruising on the highway), same conditions, same direction.

The other consideration is how hard you turn the throttle at each and every redlight?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Just wanted to mention the usefulness of a free site, http://fuelly.com , for tracking MPG on all your vehicles. (I have no relationship with them other than being a user.) You can search for like vehicles and see how you're doing against others with the same one, plus you get lots of stats on average MPG, average fuel-up costs, etc. According to that site, I'm getting 48 MPG with a still breaking-in V.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 01:21 PM

I find that changing the plugs when fuel mileage starts to drop off helps a bunch.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 01:55 PM

I'm getting about 50 miles per gallon/ give er take....even when I go out to play WOT drops it only to around 45. You have other issues. I agree with 133bhp, check your tire pressure & your chain...are you riding around in traffic with your foot on the brake? I know it sounds dumb but look around, people do it. also when its cold your motor does not reach operating temp & then you dont get full combustion= waste more fuel, but not that much.
oh yeah we have the ethanol blend all year here in Colorado and I run all over town,City Highway even into the mountains above 10,000 feet. no problems.

Scott
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
But the V does not have an O2 sensor, in North America anyways.
True, but does have an intake temp sensor. Cam timinmg, rather than valves will result in wasted fuel. Possible if no clearance, valves will burn/leak, typically resulting in low compression, blowback etc. but you'd have other troubles/would notice it.

Granted its new, but assuming air filter is free of crap/oil? But could be Fuel pressure regulator, temp stat stuck open, TPS, ECU and so on. But Like I said, first I think you need to be sure you have a problem? check the exhuast is not really black? or chop the plugs, or simply take it for a good run, ideally a tankful. If still subtsantially low, (suspect it will be normal?) you know then somehrings not right?

just occured to me, ( I;m so used to doing my own maintennace! ) - who cares? its new! confirm fuel consumption then just take it to the dealer, let them sort it.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 07:17 PM

Agreed a set a new spark plugs can help.
Also check throttle bodies balanced at idle 1300 rpm.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 07:50 PM

In colder weather the gas is more dense therefore you

pack more per charge in the cylinder. Do they still make "Cool Cans"?
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
A recent book i read had a group riding identical BMW's, one of the riders was complaining about poor fuel consumption so rather than fiddle with the bike they changed the rider around and you guessed it, the bike he now on starting suffering from poor fuel consumption, from memory he was all over the place with the throttle and heavy braking. Just a thought
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 08:41 PM

Make sure the coolant temperature is running hot enough. If it's too cool, the ECU will richen up the mixture to compensate. You could have a bad thermostat or coolant temp sensor.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:35 AM

I hear the Vespa gets great mileage.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 12:59 PM

Garage
My bikes speedometre is way off it's mark (around 6-7 mph @ 60 mph)

Since distance is related to mph, this will account for even worst mpg than what I actualy get

So as long as it's (the bike) going good, I'm not bothering to much with mpg

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode