Dealerships!!!??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Dealerships!!!???

Why is it that dealerships don't like people to write checks for the full amount? My current local kawasaki dealer couldn't believe that I would write them a check, they called the bank to make sure the money was there. I had the same thing happen 3 years ago when I purchased my KLR.

I always thought money was money, getting cash with out the middle man would be better for them.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
They just checking if they can play basketball with the cheque, you know check the bounce out.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:20 PM

For our product, it isn't uncommon for a customer to pay cash/check... even $400,000+!

Motorcycle dealers aren't use to it...

Shaun

1975 Kawasaki MC90
1977 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ125
1981 Yamaha YZ125
1982 Yamaha YZ125
1983 Yamaha YZ125
1984 Honda CR125
1996 Yamaha PW80 (son's)
1999 Kawasaki KX250
2001 Suzuki PW50 (son's)
2001 Yamaha YZ125
2003 Kawasaki KLX110 (son's)
2005 KTM 525 EXC Racing w/Motard set up
2009 Kawasaki Versys - I like this street bike thing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Can't blame the dealership. thier just covering thier butt. Question would you take a check from some guy who walked up and wanted to buy your bike from you. Things aren't like they used to be. Sad to say

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Can't blame the dealership. thier just covering thier butt. Question would you take a check from some guy who walked up and wanted to buy your bike from you. Things aren't like they used to be. Sad to say

Exactly. A check ain't cash.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:47 PM

And some of them will try and push you into their rip-off financing because they ultimately make more commission on the financing than they do on the sale.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
And some of them will try and push you into their rip-off financing because they ultimately make more commission on the financing than they do on the sale.
Not always. I took advantage of the 3.99% financing for 2 years because I'll pay it off before then. The rate jumps to 15.99% after the two years, so if you go this route, you need to have a plan to pay it off before 24 months.

Shaun

1975 Kawasaki MC90
1977 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ125
1981 Yamaha YZ125
1982 Yamaha YZ125
1983 Yamaha YZ125
1984 Honda CR125
1996 Yamaha PW80 (son's)
1999 Kawasaki KX250
2001 Suzuki PW50 (son's)
2001 Yamaha YZ125
2003 Kawasaki KLX110 (son's)
2005 KTM 525 EXC Racing w/Motard set up
2009 Kawasaki Versys - I like this street bike thing...

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

TRUST is history now so dont be surprise if they reject your cheque.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
But, they called the bank in front of me, That was tacky at best. They could have waited till they walked me around the show room to meet the parts guy and mechanics.

Mark
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:00 AM

I bought mine using my Visa for the full amount. Could not believe they didn't mind taking the hit as Visa companies take their percentage. I simply transferred money out of savings the next week and paid the Visa off. No fee to me.

Guess they wanted to seal the deal before I changed my mind??
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 AM

I know some fellas that went to Australia a few years ago with 100M $ in cash inside bags to buy an airline company...
Ozzies freaked out. What's up with that?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:21 AM
djg

I paid with a personal check. This was at a dealer in the next state. No problem. I assume they did a credit check when I took a test ride, they copied my Driver's License.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 07:13 AM

I paid in full with a check, no problems. The dealer has a check verification service they used.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 07:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
But, they called the bank in front of me, That was tacky at best. They could have waited till they walked me around the show room to meet the parts guy and mechanics.

Mark

You seem to be taking it as a personal insult it wasn't ment to be. Today its just the norm. Took a lady thats been like a mother to me car shopping a few years ago in california. Told the sales guy if we agreed on a price she would be writing a check for it. Gave him business cards to her account manager at the bank and her investnent banker so they could pre-check her to know this lady had the money to pay cash. The car she wanted was at another dealership so she put down 500.00 on her ATM card and the car was to be at the dealership the next day. Well we were able to pick up the car about 7:00pm the next night when she wrote out a check for about 28,000.00 the finance guys eyes pooped out. he said he didn't know we were writing a check well i looked at the sales guy and grilled his ass over the fire for giving him all the info needed to bypass this situitation. They ran a quick credit report and we were on our way in about 10 minutes.

A little tip about purchasing large ticket items on credit cards or debit cards when you get your final price. Pull out the plastic then let them know that its cost them a little over 2% for the transaction if they would be willing to take another 1% off the price you'll pay cash or cashier check. Have done this several times

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-29-2010 at 07:27 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 07:49 AM

I went to my bank and took out cash before going to the dealership when I purchased my last Versys. When I got there and was talking to them about buying the Versys I told them it was a cash deal and give me the best OTD price up front as I don't much care for the games they try to play. We settled on $6,000.00 for a new '09 but when I pulled the cash (in hundred dollar bills) out of my pocket they didn't want to take it because they didn't like to have that much cash on the premises. I then pulled out my debit card and they said they would have to charge me 3% additional to use it. At that point I put my card in my wallet and my cash in my pocket and headed for the door. They almost tackled me and agreed to accept the cash.

I've never had anyone refuse cash before so that was a surprise to me, but it all worked out.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 PM

Dealers don't like it when people pay with cash or write a check for the full amount, for the reason that was given earlier. If you finance through the dealer, even at a very good rate, they get some of that money. It's another opportunity for them to make money. It's very common for car dealers to hold points. It's that back-end money where they make most of their profit on new vehicles.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 PM

Ran into some of the same old DOWNPAYMENT ON PLASTIC FINE... full payment no way...cheque...uh uh...what ever happened to the old adage "The customer is always right?"

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 05:56 AM

The Dealerships I use here in Mass have been great for the most part. Whether parts or new / used vehicle purchases I always get the deal I want. The answer is to do your homework before you get there and tell them up front what your deal is, how you're going to pay, and the rest SHOULD be history, as long as you're being realistic. Let's face it....we ALL work SOMEWHERE for a COMPANY that HAS TO make money. Dealerships are entitled to a fair profit. As long as I'm treated right when I want to buy something else, I'm cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode