Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Cali split lane crash

5K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  sonofnothing 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Welcome To California.....

#11 ·
I've always been under the understanding that the GREATER the difference between your speed and that of surrounding traffic - the GREATER YOUR chance of a mishap...!

ALSO he passed the vehicle w/ the camera - on its right.

#13 ·
Cage clearly has turn signal on, dotted line means no limit on entry/exit for the cager (unlike many CA HOV lanes), however just because your signal is on doesn't relieve you of an obligation to shoulder check and properly merge to match the prevailing speed of the lane. Same as an on-ramp.

Lots of blame to go around here.

#14 ·
The motorcycle was already occupying the lane. The car will be found at fault for not safely making a lane change.

#15 ·
In Illinois if you hit someone behind the front doors of the vehicle, it's your fault, PERIOD! The car should not have changed lanes. The guy on the bike should not have been going that fast a lane over from that slow of traffic. I think they are both a little at fault in this situation. And I'm not sure why the guy that was recording was driving halfway on the shoulder.

#16 ·
Lane Splitting ( Filtering ) is legal here in Cali. So the truck like a lot of folks here will move over when they see a bike behind them to give them more room to get by. The car did what a lot of folks do here also. Didn't bother to use their mirror before changing lanes. Just something you have to deal with here on a day to day basis.:frown2:

#18 ·
The biker exceeded the allowed speed by a lot.

Which puts the biker at fault as well. The cager might have looked in the mirror and didn't see the biker, then started merging but a moment later the biker was already there because of the high speed. Both are at fault here.

#19 ·
Which puts the biker at fault as well. The cager might have looked in the mirror and didn't see the biker, then started merging but a moment later the biker was already there because of the high speed. Both are at fault here.

How can you be sure he was speeding???? The cars to the right were moving slower because of congestion. They both might be at fault but the cager will be more for making an unsafe lane change.

#24 ·
thats because like most news you only see the bad parts of it.... after over 8+ years of lane splitting in a state where it isnt even legal (tho i do it at a slow safe speed) ive never had a wreck or had anyone turn into me like in this video.....
if you look there is tons of videos of people splitting just fine and safe....there just not as shocking to watch so there not on the live leaks and what not....

#25 ·
no doubt, I know how the mind and the media works.. Like the Bruins throwing **** on the ice and hitting their team with beers.... Animals, right? But what about the 12,000 fans that didn't throw stuff.

I'm not against lane splitting, I just don't feel that comfortable doing it because people could get angry, spiteful, etc. Tempers flare so easily out on the streets... Over nothing! It's an EASY risk to avoid.... Just, don't do it. But, my main thing watching those videos is how freakin fast those people are splitting lanes of stopped traffic. BALLS:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.