Farkle Bang for the buck review - Page 4 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
For my reach, (I'm 6"0") the 1.5 risers seemed to be more than I needed, although I left them on. Much better than stock position.
Ah, thanks. I'm 5'7" so 1.5" might be better.

Anyone else have an opinion?

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Depends what you need a riser for.
If you ride adv standing up, a taller riser will help tall people (actually helps everyone)

It just seems the cables (650'15) are not long enough for 1.5" extra... Do you have to reroute?
post #63 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:13 AM

For me the riser is more for the pull back so I'm not leaning forward as much.

From Moto Werk's website says:

"No modifications of any lines or cables are necessary."

https://motowerk.com/collections/kaw...-risers-v650lt

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers

post #64 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
For me the riser is more for the pull back so I'm not leaning forward as much.

From Moto Werk's website says:

"No modifications of any lines or cables are necessary."

https://motowerk.com/collections/kaw...-risers-v650lt
On my 2016, no modification is needed for 1.5". Same for 15 - 17 Models.
post #65 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
I'm trying to decide between the 1" and 1.5" risers for my 2017....
I use 2" ROX Risers on both my Vs (I'm about 5' 10", 31" inseam), and they are very comfortable sitting OR standing.

Quote:
For my reach, (I'm 6'0") the 1.5 risers seemed to be more than I needed, although I left them on. Much better than stock position.
See above comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Depends what you need a riser for.
If you ride adv standing up, a taller riser will help tall people (actually helps everyone)

It just seems the cables (650'15) are not long enough for 1.5" extra... Do you have to reroute?
Cables are plenty long enough for 2" ROX Risers on my '15 and my '08 V 650s.

407guy likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #66 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:31 AM

Six point impact sockets and Harbor Freight electric impact wrench (on sale thru 11/26, $37.99, 36125963). Much easier and healthier than physical leverage alone and your nuts won't get rounded at the edges.
post #67 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:47 AM

From review of your farkles, I must say that great minds think alike. One thing I did not see was an air horn. Also, do you have a hugger, adjustable (Madstat) bracket for your screen, and heated grips? Have fun.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #68 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 02:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
You can save about $60.00 bucks and get the Vulcan S OEM Power Outlet it works on the Versys also.......https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories...AGFL/999940541
Will it fit in the Versys socket without modification?

2016 Versys 650 ABS
post #69 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
From review of your farkles, I must say that great minds think alike. One thing I did not see was an air horn. Also, do you have a hugger, adjustable (Madstat) bracket for your screen, and heated grips? Have fun.
I haven't done the horn yet, but it's on the list. I don't have a hugger, I may make one myself. My Givi windscreen seems to be fine the way it is.

With the stock LT handguards taking much of wind off my hands, I haven't yet felt the need for heated grips yet. Since we moved back to California from North Idaho, we really don't have much really cold weather either unless I head up into the Sierra.
post #70 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
best bang for the buck of all the farkles I've bought for the Versys..

Eclipse Battery Voltage Monitor | SparkBright

never get caught out there with a dead battery or bad stator again...
quexpress and jaaklucas like this.
post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonkdzn View Post
Quote:
You can save about $60.00 bucks and get the Vulcan S OEM Power Outlet it works on the Versys also.......https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories...AGFL/999940541
I picked up a usb socket with a battery voltage indicator for $16 On Amazon. They're all essentially the same size.
post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Yep, Heres the difference between them. The Vulcan socket comes with extra goodies you won't need....https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Upl..._999940485.pdf .....https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories...AGFL/999940541 .....https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Upl..._999940541.pdf

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenner View Post
Six point impact sockets and Harbor Freight electric impact wrench (on sale thru 11/26, $37.99, 36125963). Much easier and healthier than physical leverage alone and your nuts won't get rounded at the edges.
good to know because nobody likes their nuts rounded

Deep in Cajun Country
post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 11:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yep, Heres the difference between them. The Vulcan socket comes with extra goodies you won't need....https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Upl..._999940485.pdf .....https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories...AGFL/999940541 .....https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Upl..._999940541.pdf

Wow, what A-holes to charge $50 bucks more for the exact same part. Thank you for the info!
weljo2001 likes this.

2016 Versys 650 ABS
post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 12:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Wow, what A-holes to charge $50 bucks more for the exact same part. Thank you for the info!

Tell me about it....I found out after i ordered and install it on my V-1000.

P1010510 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Looking back at my posts, I thought I might post and update my Best Farkle Bang for the buck review from 2017. Lots of good ideas in this thread for all the new folks on the Forum.

Hope this helps some of the new members to the forum.

Some of the posts go back years and it's been fun to compare results of others and to decide what are musts for my needs. I'm finally able to do most of these all at the same time, and it's made a world of difference! We've many new forum members since I joined so I thought they may be interested. Don't flame me if you don't agree with my personal choices, but chime in if you have some other MUST Farkles.

The bargains

Seat Riser Block- One of our forum members Rawkstar320 makes these riser blocks to raise the front of the seat so you don't keep sliding into your tank, A MUST buy and the best $14.00 you can spend on your Versys. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-lift-mod.html (update Rawkstar is no longer making these for us, but you can get the plans to have one made)

Pro Grip Gel Grips- $10.30 on Amazon. Just right grips that aren't hard, and they seem to remove most of the tingles too. I don't really need the heated ones.

KAWASAKI LIME GREEN REFLECTIVE MOTORCYCLE RIM STRIPES -$13.00 Found these on eBay, they are pre curved and easy to put on. They really show up at night!

Expensive but worth it.

GIVI 4114 ST Windscreen- I've read just about every review I could find and there is not a one size works for all, but the GIVI wins my vote and a great value at $117.00. You can read more about my experience- http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...indscreen.html

Motowerk footpeg lowering blocks- $50.00 It's all about comfort here and it helps to eliminate the fetal sportbike position that my old body now rebels with cramps, etc. Between these lowering blocks and the below risers, the riding position is really opened up. No changes to the great handling of this bike.

Motowerk Handlebar Risers V650LT- $50.00 I got the 1.5" risers and probably would have been happy with the 1" model. Much more relaxed sitting, the stock reach tended to make me slouch.

Motowerk Mirror Extenders- $36.00 Wow, I can really see behind me now, instead of my shoulders. The folks in Japan must really have narrow shoulders.

JT Sprockets 16 tooth Front Sprocket- $10.30 . Since I can't add a 7th gear to my bike, this will be next best thing. I've been buying JT Sprockets for numerous bikes over the years and been really happy with their longevity. Yes, I know this one doesn't have the rubber covering, and yes I have a big Air Compressor and 1/2" impact wrench. The Versys is not the only bike that has issues with loosening that nut!

But by the far and away best thing I've done to this bike is a Mod, not a Farkle. If you have a 2015-2016 Gen 3 model the Mountain Runner ECU flash is an absolute must. The results are stunning!
https://sites.google.com/site/shooda...-650-ecu-flash
onewizard likes this.
post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
2015 / 2016 650 Versys Flash Complete

Quote:
Looking back at my posts, I thought I might post and update my Best Farkle Bang for the buck review from 2017. Lots of good ideas in this thread for all the new folks on the Forum.

Hope this helps some of the new members to the forum.

But by the far and away best thing I've done to this bike is a Mod, not a Farkle. If you have a 2015-2016 Gen 3 model the Mountain Runner ECU flash is an absolute must. The results are stunning!
https://sites.google.com/site/shooda...-650-ecu-flash
Yes I posted this on the UK versys site,under modifications , the response by some was "I don't ride below 4000RPM " wishing to be polite I let it go, but DUHand under booster plugs , absolutely 0 response, which was expected. It is a slow non responsive forum, my only intention was to share knowledge. I am really looking forward to spring, like a new bike waiting for me with the new flash.
DinkinFlicka likes this.
post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:52 AM

A thread from the dead, cool.

My top five farkles, not ranked:

The Shoodaben flash. It really is "all that".

Rostra cruise control.

Seat Concepts seat.

Madstad windshield. I had the 4114 Giviv, and that was OK, this is much gooder, though not as frugal.

Givi tank bag with the ring mount.

I do have a bunch of other farkles, mods, and geegaws on the bike, but the above five are a cut above, for me.

The one farkle I'm most disappointed in is the SWMotech on dash slide out GPS mount. The plastic develops play and things start to wiggle, a lot. Poor execution for an $80 farkle. I used some RTV to glue it together after about 25,000 miles to eliminate the play. This will be replaced by another system in the not too distant future.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Something on knowing the NRR of ear plugs.

https://www.protectear.com/nrr-rating/

Any ear plug that is comfortable and doesn't cause headache is good enough for me ...all this rating are just marketing attics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode