Would someone please ....... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Would someone please .......

explain to me the reasonimg behind Kawasaki's decision to only offer the Versys in ONE color? I just don't get it - in fact IMO it would seem to reduce sales as opposed to increasing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:09 AM

i assume you are talking in the US of A? anyways, most likely due to volume. The Versys doesnt sell well here and they dont want to ship over 50% of each color then if one color doesnt sell as well as the other they will be stuck with a lot of extra bikes they want to sell (means they have to give deals and lose money). If they ship over just one color then they wont have to worry about people liking the green better than the rest of the colors and no one buying blue or black, or red, or maroon. So they make the choice for us reducing the risk of not selling the number they ship to the USA.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:26 AM

One color worked for Henry Ford. ;-)

One local dealer told me that Kawasaki Japan views the US as a risky market right now due to the economy. It is almost 2011 and 2009 models can still be found new in the crate along a lot of the Kawasaki line so obviously product isn't moving.

Thus, they are only sending over limited quantities of a single color so they can't be accused of abandoning the market entirely. Someday if/when the US economy turns around we will probably see multiple colors again.

If I was Kawasaki, I would standardize the color of the frames and then make various color kits available so folks could get whatever color and you don't have to ship over entire bikes. Plus lots of folks would get bored with color #1 and switch over to color #2 if it was made easy. Heck, I'd make a "color kit" available in primer with the decals unattached so folks could shoot whatever color they wanted. But that is just me and I am not Kawasaki.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 AM

Pure economics...hopefully it's a color you can live with.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

But I like my red.....

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 05:30 PM

Because they are a cheap bike.
Buy one of any color, and paint it the color you want.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Because they are a cheap bike.
Buy one of any color, and paint it the color you want.
+1 on that...a perceived optical design flaw is easily fixed with the application of your aftermarket pigment of choice...heck, mine could be pink with purple polka dots and I wouldn't care...I love the way my Versys rides!

Ride There
because you can
you know it's right
in the rain
in the cold
have fun...
every time.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:49 PM

The Honda factory guys I met last September in Vermont were asked the same question about the new VFR1200F and the ST1300...why only one color per year? The answer: "Low sales volume."

One of the other riders in my test group replied, "Maybe you'd sell more if you brought over more colors."

Best laugh of the evening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:35 PM

The red ones were so fast, they had a really hard time getting them DOT approved for the US.
So now they are trying slower colors, one at a time.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 PM

Interesting when I owned the Red one , I was not a great fan of the color until I stripped all the decals off. Then, I could enjoy the lines of the bike. When I first saw the blue and green colors, I thought what are they thinking? Then I saw the green in person with all the blacked out wheels and engine and thought...not so bad. Maybe with a little less green and more black it I could like. Then I saw, in this forum, a green naked with a blacked out front fender and belly pan.....GAME ON!!!. The Moondust Grey they had available in Canada, for me, is the absolute best color combo I've seen for this bike. Too much to import ....GREEN it is.
I don't see that offering two colors in this bike help sales much . If anything the dealership got stuck with a color they couldn't sell and know have to discount big time. I'm sure some colors sold better in different areas.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Garage
2011 Versys, In Canada are Metallic Spark Black or Metallic Imperial Red. What's the available colour in the US?

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode