Street Newbie - Versys observations - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Street Newbie - Versys observations

OK, it's Saturday and I've put about 200 miles on my new Versys since taking delivery on Friday. I thought I'd give my take on the bike and my experience incase someone else can get something out of it. Please recall, my experience until now was strictly dirt with a few rides on the street on a KTM with a motard set up.

Today, I bought a street helmet, mesh jacket with liner, pants and gloves. I know there is a big debate about helmets, buy I've never ridden without one so I would feel naked and scared if I rode without. How can guys ride at highway speeds without a helmet? The wind and noise would drive me nuts...

Anyway, the first thing is the crazy buzzzzz from the gauge panel. It seems to be a common problem and I haven't read the other posts to see the solution yet.

Second things is the throttle. I'm use to a quick turn throttle on my MX bikes. Is there one available for the Versys?

Why is the right mirror usable, but the left one only shows my shoulder? Is there a spacing issue I need to overcome?

I need to adjust a few items for my taste, but I wanted to run it by the group before I do something that is wrong for the street. I need to adjust the shift lever down a little, for my riding experience it is too high. Any risk by lowering it?

The rear brake peddal must be depressed quite a bit before the brakes begin to bite. Is this a simple adjustment? I use the front brake a lot from my racing days and I find myself out of balance with the rear brake because I'm not use to pushing down so far.

The seat is the most comfortable one I've ever sat on - again compared to a dirt bike.

I'm having to learn to trust the tires in a turn. A 2 stroke dirt bike steers by the rear wheel while the street bike steers by the front wheel. I'm not use to the pressure on the bars or how far I can lean before I lose grip.

I must say I'm having a blast on this bike. While it is the heaviest bike I've ever ridden by about 150 lbs, it feels light and nimble. My confidence on the bike grows by the minute.

I'll post a pic tomorrow of the mount I'm using for my iPhone. I have the MapQuest app running as I'm riding to show the roads and options available to me. I need to add a 12 volt plug on the dash to hook up the power instead of draining the battery.

As I've said several times before, this is a great forum and it is because each of you participate in a helpful way. I thank y'all for your past and future support.

Shaun

1975 Kawasaki MC90
1977 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ125
1981 Yamaha YZ125
1982 Yamaha YZ125
1983 Yamaha YZ125
1984 Honda CR125
1996 Yamaha PW80 (son's)
1999 Kawasaki KX250
2001 Suzuki PW50 (son's)
2001 Yamaha YZ125
2003 Kawasaki KLX110 (son's)
2005 KTM 525 EXC Racing w/Motard set up
2009 Kawasaki Versys - I like this street bike thing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:21 PM

I put mirror extenders on and like them a lot.

I have the equivalent of brass dog tags on my key ring. They jiggle loud enough that i have never perceived the dreaded cowl buzz. I couldnt tell you whether my bike has it.

I want to see your phone setup. I miss texting-while-driving!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Try not to use back brakes, practice stopping on front brakes, load up suspension first as you brake then you can bring her to a stop pretty hard, but practice
not on a bend of course

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Try not to use back brakes, practice stopping on front brakes, load up suspension first as you brake then you can bring her to a stop pretty hard, but practice
not on a bend of course
both brakes, used properly, stops shorter than either one used alone... until the rear is airborne, of course.

as weight transfers to the front, reduce pressure on the rear, increase pressure on the front = braking, properly done.

you can adjust the pedal, might be a bit fiddly. if you end up getting the peg lowering kit (for legroom and butt comfort) then the pedal will be just right.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
In hard brake situation the front will load right up 95 to 100% of stopping power on front, if you watch a vid of the rear in a sitation of a e stop you will see it is hardly touching the ground so any touch of rear brake will result in skidding. In normal riding no problems on both brakes but it is good practice to use your front brakes imho
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 12:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastflorida View Post
Anyway, the first thing is the crazy buzzzzz from the gauge panel. It seems to be a common problem and I haven't read the other posts to see the solution yet.

Second things is the throttle. I'm use to a quick turn throttle on my MX bikes. Is there one available for the Versys?
Hi Shaun

There are lots of posts re the vibration, but it settles down by 1,000 miles and is just 4 -5k rpm

Here is the answer to your mirrors and many other problems.

Keep the rubber side down!

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 03:18 AM

Hey Shaun,

It's great to see you are liking the bike.

To answer some of you questions in a random order:

Setting up you controls to suit you is probably the first thing one should do on a new bike. From the experience of some of the fast guys, first hard part that scraps the road at maximum lean is a foot-peg feeler and next is the shifter. You are not racing with the Versys just yet so I suggest you go with comfortable setting.

Too bad you have the 'buzz' on your bike. I've never experienced it on mine or my friend's Versys but there are a lot of easy fixes on the forum.

Mirrors are crap. At stock configuration I had to move my head and body to get a glimpse what is behind me. Since then, I've added aftermarket bars and mirror extenders (about two inch gain) and put some 12$ mirrors witch actually work and do not vibrate.

Excellent that you like the seat! So did I at first, but one gets spoiled with time.

Here is a recen topic for Quick throttle adjustment

Go ahed and get some miles on it before thinking about accessories. You'll have the most use and fun out of them if you realize that you need/don't need them while riding.

Cheers.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:37 AM

the 2010 mirrors are fine I hear some of the older model owners pack out the fairing with foam to stop the buzz this is not needed in my 2010 which has rubber mounted engine mounts but many 09 owners don't have this prob.

Tyres the dunlops are not the best in the wet
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:22 AM

+1 on Speedy's mirror extenders, foot peg lowering kit, and, depending on if you are on tippy-toes or not, his (overall) lowering kit.

Edit: I forgot, add Speedy's flat foot for your kickstand. The one you select depends on if you are keeping original height V or lowering it, in which case you have to get the one where you hacksaw your kickstand 1-1/2 inches.

Speedy's stuff is awesome - and that's an overused word these days, but in this case, it's true.

Someday is not a day of the week.

Last edited by Tigerpawed; 10-24-2010 at 08:15 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:25 AM

I'll sell you my mirrors and extenders!! I want bar-end mirrors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode