Super Tenere Up Close - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Super Tenere Up Close

I got to sit on the Super Tenere today. Felt very comfortable and the bike looks tough. It was being show cased at a dealer where a friend of mine works. He called me to let me know it was there.
I like it but still would not buy it over the Versys just because I don't think I need that much bike anymore. I used to think that, but I really don't get off road 98% of the time. So, as cool as it is I still think the price would keep me away.
I like what I'm riding, and when I parked my bike next to the Tenere, a bunch of people were asking me about the Versys. The V has cool factor of it's own.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:51 PM
djg

Even at 12.5K it is just out of my range. Versys is first new bike I have owned, riding for thirty years. Guess I'm cheap.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 08:36 PM

That's a nice looking bike, but for the money you just can't beat the Versys.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:17 PM

And the Versys has easy to find tires. The ST has a 19" front wheel, and a 150 series rear tire. Very limited tire choices.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrider54 View Post
And the Versys has easy to find tires. The ST has a 19" front wheel, and a 150 series rear tire. Very limited tire choices.
Good point!

IBA #23562

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 09:49 AM
cls

Yeh, the Tenre's numbers just don't add up: too much money, for too little power, and too much weight, IMO.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:33 AM

A great looking bike but at that price ................. phew

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Yeh, the Tenre's numbers just don't add up: too much money, for too little power, and too much weight, IMO.
well that technique works for HD, so mebbe theres a chance for Yamaha
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:02 AM

According to this site MSRP is $13,900.00 and for a thousand more you can get a BMW R 1200 GS what is the point of getting either when you can save 9 grand buying a Versys Hell you can buy a V-Strom 1000 and still save money
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Absolutely! Maybe this is why Yamaha did not want to import the bike to the US in the first place.
I.m sure the suspension is very well done, and there is enough power to pull a tugboat, so somebody will want to take it home.

IBA #23562

post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:20 AM
cls

No doubt some will buy it, and that's as it should be. I will not be one of them, however. Nor a Harley...
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 PM

OK, OK, you guys got me!

As you may or may not know, I have a Super Ténéré on order. Give a little credit, though, at least it's NOT a Harley.

Here’s the comparison between a Super Ténéré and BMW R1200GS. This is only a few of the reasons I'm getting it. Pricing is off the BMW website for 2010 bikes. This will go up next year and again in 2012 (which is the model year of the Yamaha). Plus, just TRY to get a deal on a BMW.

R1200GS - Base MSRP: $14,950, ABS standard, Enduro ESA $800, Hand Protection $100, Integral ABS II (Disconnectable) $1100, Enduro ASC $400, Cross Spoke Wheels $500

Total R1200GS MSRP, roughly equivalent equipment to the Super Ténéré - $17,850

R1200GS Adventure - Base MSRP: $17,000, ABS standard, Enduro ESA $800, Integral ABS II (Disconnectable) $1100, Enduro ASC $400

Total R1200GSA MSRP, roughly equivalent equipment to the Super Ténéré - $19,300

Even at the $13,900 MSRP, the Yamaha is a bargain. That’s before you consider the staggering service expense involved in owning a BMW, inherent weakness in the BMW rear swingarm, and the burden we ALL bear having to deal with BMW owners.

My Super Ténéré comes in at $12,500 OTD
(not including tax and title, but including all dealership fees)

Maybe one of you guys would be interested in buying an '09 Versys?

Come to think of it, I can keep the Versys AND the Super Ténéré for the price of a BMW R1200GSA

Now, THAT'S A DEAL!! The Best of both worlds.

V-Zee

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:34 PM

I forgot...110 HP isn't enough? And comparing weight to a Harley? Yeah, right!

V-Zee

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
It turns out that the numbers don't tell the whole story. Although Verstehenzee makes a good case on the $$ numbers!

On the ADV forum, GS riders are commenting how much better the S10 suspension is and how much lighter it feels due to a much lower Center Of Gravity. There is even an F800GS rider who says that the S10 feels lighter!

Based on the stat sheet (excluding the price sheet ) or most motorcycle journalists, I might go with the BMW. Based on actual riders experience and not being very wealthy, I would absolutely pick the Super Tenere.

Last edited by Pretbek; 10-26-2010 at 02:14 PM.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'm pretty sure your going to get a bunch of smiles on that bike, so it doesn't matter what anybody thinks right? I like it, I'm just not in the market for another bike right now.

I am glad Yamaha is importing it to the US, and I hope more manufacturers follow suit.

IBA #23562

post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 01:00 PM
cls

And I wasn't putting the bike down, at all. If it's your thing, that's awesome. For me, it just doesn't match up. Neither does the Beemer. It's personal preference, for personal taste. I have no doubt it's a very nice, well done bike. It's just not what I want.

Go forth and do good. I hope it does great for you.
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
OK, OK, you guys got me!

As you may or may not know, I have a Super Ténéré on order. Give a little credit, though, at least it's NOT a Harley.

Here’s the comparison between a Super Ténéré and BMW R1200GS. This is only a few of the reasons I'm getting it. Pricing is off the BMW website for 2010 bikes. This will go up next year and again in 2012 (which is the model year of the Yamaha). Plus, just TRY to get a deal on a BMW.

R1200GS - Base MSRP: $14,950, ABS standard, Enduro ESA $800, Hand Protection $100, Integral ABS II (Disconnectable) $1100, Enduro ASC $400, Cross Spoke Wheels $500

Total R1200GS MSRP, roughly equivalent equipment to the Super Ténéré - $17,850

R1200GS Adventure - Base MSRP: $17,000, ABS standard, Enduro ESA $800, Integral ABS II (Disconnectable) $1100, Enduro ASC $400

Total R1200GSA MSRP, roughly equivalent equipment to the Super Ténéré - $19,300

Even at the $13,900 MSRP, the Yamaha is a bargain. That’s before you consider the staggering service expense involved in owning a BMW, inherent weakness in the BMW rear swingarm, and the burden we ALL bear having to deal with BMW owners.

My Super Ténéré comes in at $12,500 OTD
(not including tax and title, but including all dealership fees)

Maybe one of you guys would be interested in buying an '09 Versys?

Come to think of it, I can keep the Versys AND the Super Ténéré for the price of a BMW R1200GSA

Now, THAT'S A DEAL!! The Best of both worlds.

V-Zee

That is a sound logic - financially.
What about practical usage?

Only justifications for liter adv-touring bikes I can think of is: +100kg of rider weight, a wife in the back and (too much?) luggage inside metal panniers.
I don't check neither of those boxes so they do not appeal to me.

What are your plans with it?
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 01:53 PM

I to looked at the Tenere as a replacement for my R1150gs but after reading the MCN reviews it kind of soured me on it. Still a great looking bike and love there is a great dealer network compared to BMW. I will ignore all the remarks about BMW.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:10 PM
cls

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
I forgot...110 HP isn't enough? And comparing weight to a Harley? Yeah, right!

V-Zee

It has little to do w/"enough" power, or power "need." You can do most anything legally needed on 10-15 hp. Is that all you want? Bikes are for fun more than anything else in this country. You gotta' enjoy the ride. If a Tenre is your calling, get it. I'm sure it's a great bike.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:21 PM

cls....Naah, no hard feelings at all!

Ivan....I bought my Versys with all good intentions, and have regrets only because after I bought it, my wife decided she wanted to go along. Suddenly, everything changed. Alone, I love it. With her along, not so much. I'm lucky because I have a wife I not only love, but enjoy being with after 37 years. Who could argue with that?

We looked at everything (except a Harley) that would fit our needs for riding together, while still keeping in mind my individual, personal amusement. I came out of the dirt and still love to run down a few fire trails and gravel roads from time to time. I live in an area most dirt guys would kill for and I'm admittedly very lucky. Most of the "Adventure Touring" type bikes were too small for two or too expensive, or too much toward dirt, or too much toward street. This bike seems to fit my world view pretty well. It very well may not be what I want and I may change my mind again next year, but isn't that what bikes are all about anyway?

As a side note..... I'm hopeful that because Yamaha is selling these in an "On Order" basis, that the bike will retain some additional value should I want to sell it. If it turns out to be very popular, that will definitely happen and I'll do OK whenever I sell it.

My slightly verbose comparison with the BMW was intended to clear up some of the misconceptions a couple of you expressed regarding the Super Tenere. It wasn't a sales pitch at all or an ego buff. Absolutely, it's a personal decision.

love2ridend, as far as MCN reviews go, I hold them with much suspicion. If you have read them, which I do, for a long time, which I have, they seem to have a distinct bias toward bikes from the continent. Asian bikes seem to get short shrift in cases where there is true competition with European bikes. That's fine if they do it, but it does seem to shade their opinion in my mind.

I definitely have no axe to grind regarding BMW's, other than "some" of the people who ride them, and few niggling technical issues. They are fine bikes, in spite of being somewhat anachronistic. I apologize if I've scuffed anyone's tender sensitivities.

My personal reasons to have the Yamaha.....

For:
Two up(Touring)
Mild Dirt roads
Service availability
Economy (included technical features)

Against:
Limits on canyon work (also a "For" = less chance of crashing, I'm in my 60's )
Price (I'm still cheap)

If I can, I'll keep the Versys as long as possible, just to goof around on.

There are rumors going around that Honda will enter this market, too. I hope so. This segment really does represent bikes that can do many different things without a lot of modification. They have excellent balance and are very predictable. I've seen them described as "two-wheel SUV's". I guess you could say that (I won't), but no SUV I've ever driven can ever compare to the fun you can have on ANY bike (hmmm...even a Harley?? ).

I do appreciate the well wishes!

V-Zee

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 10-26-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode