Heated grips for Alaska in August? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Heated grips for Alaska in August?

It never crossed my mind that I may need heated grips in August!

I have just read a recent Alaska trip report and the guy was there in late July and it was not too far off freezing at night!!!! (he was way up in Prudhoe Bay - I will be lucky to get to Anchorage)

I have checked the average temps etc and I was a bit surprised at how cool it gets and how much rain falls. My bank account is taking a nose dive but I hate cold hands. What is the collective wisdom of those that have been there..... to buy or not to buy?

Thanks
These are the ones...
Oxford Hot Grips Advanced Touring Heated Grips | The Visor Shop.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I use Heated Grips and ATV Mitts. The mitts keep the wind and wet off my hands and with the heated grips it like having your hands in a warm toasty oven... Heres a couple of threads ...http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ted-grips.html & http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...old-hands.html

BTW these are the most simple to install and best heated grips i have ever used.....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 02-23-2017 at 03:05 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

useful video... can you remember the size of the grips..? ....7/8in I think?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post

Here Ya Go.....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 02-23-2017 at 03:40 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

nice - I like the integrated switch on those.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:41 PM

Garage
Try this link its shows they are in stock when i go to Amazon...https://www.amazon.com/Koso-AM111030.../dp/B00T6IX42S

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
nice - I like the integrated switch on those.

Funny when i click on the links i sent its takes me to Amazon outside the states and are not in stock when i go straight to Amazon USA it shows 3 sets in stock...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just a reminder....

Oxford has good reviews just about anywhere they're sold.

This has been beaten to death elsewhere, I would NOT get the OEM tepid grips. They're about as useful as 4 year old birthday cards from an ex-girlfriend...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have heat demon heated grips and I love them as I'm in Canada eh.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It never crossed my mind that I may need heated grips in August!

I have just read a recent Alaska trip report and the guy was there in late July and it was not too far off freezing at night!!!! (he was way up in Prudhoe Bay - I will be lucky to get to Anchorage)

I have checked the average temps etc and I was a bit surprised at how cool it gets and how much rain falls. My bank account is taking a nose dive but I hate cold hands. What is the collective wisdom of those that have been there..... to buy or not to buy?

Thanks
These are the ones...
Oxford Hot Grips Advanced Touring Heated Grips | The Visor Shop.com
Seems like 25% of my riding is in cold weather. I would never own a bike without either heated grips or heated gloves in a temperate climate. Heated gloves are a warmer option if you have the budget, and are also buying a heated jacket liner to plug them into, but if neither is true then heated grips offer a great alternative and are a lot cheaper.

Your best value option is Oxford heated grips. They are available everywhere and are the most popular brand of heated grips. Their only real downside is a bulky temp control that requires bar mounting. Easy plug and play install and high quality/excellent performance/reliable at a reasonable price. Get the regular ones as opposed to the sport grip style grips which are firmer. British company, Chinese manufacture.

At a higher price point are the Koso grips which contain an integrated temp controller for nicer looking installation. See review on WebBikeWorld. Canadian company, Chinese manufacture.

The heating elements you buy cheap on eBay and try and slip under your grips don't work in my experience nor does an an on/off switch for heated grips, you need a temp controller.

Waterproof gloves are a nice addition in cooler weather and work well with heated grips. They block the wind and keep your hands warmer.

All heated grips are designed to connect direct to the battery and draw about 50W on high power. Most will auto switch off when the engine goes off as they are voltage sensing, something to check for in specs. If not you will want to also use relay (very cheap on ebay/gearbest/aliexpress ~$3). A relay is also a good idea if your bike sits for long periods unused as voltage sensing controllers that switch off, also draw a miniscule amount of current when off, and can run the battery down over a few weeks of inactivity.

Another option if you are riding multiple bikes, is just getting a pair of insulated, waterproof, motorcycle gloves. Remember, your hands and limbs get cold when your core gets cold. Your body's warmth management system restricts warm blood flow to the extremities when your core gets cool, to help keep the vital organs at temp. This is important to consider as no mater how much insulation you have on your hands they will still be cold if there is no warm blood flow. Another thing to consider is a heated jacket liner - they are great for putting the warmth back in your core, neck, face and head (heated collar) when you get chilled from cool wind.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-23-2017 at 09:20 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys - I have decided to buy a pair of the Oxford advanced hot grips so hopefully cold hands will not be a problem! They have three versions (sport, cruiser and tourer which appear to vary in length) so I shall have to find out how long the existing grips are.

Cheers for the help

John
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, 7/8".

Been to Alaska SIX times on motorcycles. I recommend handguards (ZETA XCs, Barkbusters, etc) as they will reduce the amount of wind and weather hitting your hands, as well as guarding things if your bike 'goes down'. Waterproof gloves is also a VG idea!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode