Guess who's "stirring the pot"..AGAIN!!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Guess who's "stirring the pot"..AGAIN!!!!

I just got finished reading the AMA 'Political action' article in the current issue of motorcyclist Magazine.

And guess what......I'm mad as hell and I'm just not gonna take it anymore.
Here's a copy of the letter I wrote to the all mighty AMA:

To whom it may concern,
I only just joined you organization. I am a first time rider at the age of 51.
I'm not usually a 'one-issue' kinda guy. ( the needs of the many out weight the needs of the few, or the one) But i am all about logic; Logic and a willingness to sacrifice personal gain so that logic may prevail.
That being said,
You’re not going to like this note I am sending you. I don't imagine you will even think it's worthy of a response but, here we go.

In the current issue of motorcyclist Magazine there is the article all about Political action issues regarding all of us; The AMA, and me.

In it you show your true colors; and let me tell you this...those 'colors' don't look good on you.
I am referring to your stand on mandatory helmet laws.
You (the AMA) are so transparent...
It is clear that you put profit above rider safety.
There is no logical reason why you would not support mandatory helmet laws. You try to make it seem all so 'logical' with you double speak about how helmet laws would defer funds away from rider safety education when it is clear (to me at any rate) that all your doing is protecting your wallet!
If you were to do the RIGHT thing and support rider safety by supporting helmet laws, you would surely anger a large portion of your membership and lose funding (read as personal income) because of it.
I am ashamed and embarrassed to be a member of such a (typically) self-serving organization.
You don't want to piss off the morons that ride 'without'. Yet you play the hero when you say we must protect our youth by mandating helmets for riders under the age of 18.
(And what kind of message are you sending to our young people when you qualify your political stand on the issue in such a transparent manor? Lead by example or get out of the way).
You’re no better than our elected officials in Washington.

To quote our 16th President, Abraham Lincoln..A man that understood what integrity is (and BTW, you might want to look up the word 'integrity' as it is clear you have none):
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time".
Your logic is flawed.
You’re not fooling me.
But, your self-serving greed is as plain as the nose on your proverbial face and I cannot; in all good conscious, be a party to it.

You, The American motorcyclist Association, are part of the problem. Typical capitalists... which is to say; screw doing the right thing, screw logic, just so long as I get mine.
You’re not worthy of your 'non-profit status'.
The phrase "Two-faced" comes to mind.
I will not be renewing my membership until you change your stand on this most important of all issues.
(And being that you are so typically american..."GREED IS GOOD"...I can see hell freezing over before you do).
…AND TO THINK I THOUGHT YOU WERE AN ORGANIZATION WITH A CONSCIOUS!
(WHAT A FOOL BELIEVES!).

Be well.
Ride safe. ATGATT (where that helmet!!!)
Peace.

Carl Leslie Blair, esquire.
October 23, 2010.

So, there it is......and I've got a fresh basket of rotten tomatoes right here so you all can start throwing them when ever you like

be well one and all.
Ride safe. ATGATT
Peace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 10-23-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Even though I wear a helmet all the time . I have no problem with the AMA not supporting mandatory helmet laws . If someone wants to wear a helmet wear a helmet if they don't I really don't care .

Last edited by turn8a; 10-23-2010 at 11:42 AM.
post #3 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

My dearest friend Carl, I love your writing style. You have a way of delivering emotion like no other, and I am envious. Good job. Of course, you know I disagree with the whole helmet law thing, but dammit I respect your passion!!!

post #4 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:35 AM

Yeah, I read that article and it pissed me off too. I haven't been a member of the AMA for a long time, seems like they've had more than their share of ethical problems. They should have had to buy Ad space to print their platform in the magazine.
post #5 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
Even though I wear a helmet all the time . I have no problem with the AMA not supporting mandatory helmet laws . If someone wants to wear a helmet wear a helmet if they don't I really don't care .
Actually i have to agree with you there with this one caveat...I would be all good with the AMA if they choose to 'stand-down' on the issue. (thus protecting there integrity). But they choose another path and there's the rub.

BTW...my sweetie is an ER nurse and she just commented that if you choose to not wear a helmet then come on down to her ER and see what the end result is...but I'm not in a hurry to " see a guys brains spilling out of his ear" after his head caught a sign post.
True story.

post #6 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
BTW...my sweetie is an ER nurse and she just commented that if you choose to not wear a helmet then come on down to her ER and see what the end result is...but I'm not in a hurry to " see a guys brains spilling out of his ear" after his head caught a sign post.
True story.
Like I said I wear a ff helmet all the time . I also wear draggin jeans ,boots joe rocket jacket gloves. To me it is not important if someone wants to wear a helmet or not . Not to be mean but I'm past being my brothers keeper . I have my own family to worry about.

Last edited by turn8a; 10-23-2010 at 12:07 PM.
post #7 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 12:11 PM

“Laws control the lesser man... Right conduct controls the greater one.”
post #8 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 12:19 PM

I am Canadian

I agree wholeheartedly with Stagehand...

Helmets save lives! No doubt!

Irresponsibility
Causing lives to be lost unessisarily...terrible shame!

Each to his/her own...my .02 cents(Canadian)

ED; Sorry fellas'. MY BAD. I'll keep my coments bike related in future!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 10-26-2010 at 01:41 PM.
post #9 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 12:50 PM

Common sense dictates that a helmet and a good jacket and gloves are the minimum gear any reasonable person should wear. I low-sided last year on a cherry '96 BMW GS after the dealer left brake fluid on the hub after a brake fluid change. Eighty miles into the ride, on the last curve of the day on a well known road, the bike went out from underneath me at 30 m.p.h. without any warning whatsoever as the fluid worked its way down the sidewall onto the tread.

In my "accident," everything went black as my face shield met the pavement. Not a nick or scratch on the helmet, but the shield was thrashed. That day, a full-face helmet saved my face; anything less would have been for looks, not for utility. In short, I hate to legislate anything, especially things that should be common sense, but then again, common sense seems to be so uncommon these days.
post #10 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
True story.
Why I wear my helmet, and why Im not an ER nurse!
But.....they tell me to wear seat belts, wear helmets, don't eat cheeseburgers, don't smoke......getting pretty tired of being treated like I'm living with my parents.
Brian....in Amerika
post #11 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
had nothing to say just wanted to use the little guy
post #12 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
had nothing to say just wanted to use the little guy

I'm glad to see you're getting so much enjoyment with that little guy...

And you know what they say.... a picture is worth a thousand words....

post #13 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
Guns take lives...give 'em up!...the life you save may just be your own!(Canadian)

Oh geez, here we go again, I presume you are being facetious, either that or you are not thinking clearly.

Bathtubs, kitchen knives, bicycles, skate boards, roller blades, matches, motorcycles, electricity, water, autos, airplanes, trains, amusement parks, horses, cows, fast food, slow food and the list goes on and on and on.

Everything in the world that has ever caused a death should be banned and destroyed immediately.
post #14 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

And once again I say....

(I'm gonna love having this one...)

post #15 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
I'm glad to see you're getting so much enjoyment with that little guy...

And you know what they say.... a picture is worth a thousand words....

LMAO!!!!! Hey, can I get that in patch form? you know...for my leather....he he he

post #16 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I wear helmet but do not support laws that tell me I have to....same goes for seat belts. I don't need the government, whether its state or federal, telling me it knows whats good for me.
I live in the only state in the union that does not have a seat belt law or a helmet law for that matter.
All these laws telling you what we can and can't do is the government saying.,..."we're smarter than you, so do what we say". Last time I check the Government couldn't even run the post office.....
I DON"T WANT TO LIVE IN A NANNY STATE!

So to the OP...be glad you live in a country that you have the freedoms you, do like voicing your opinion. You don't agree with the AMA....super, your choice to not be apart of it.
post #17 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 05:31 PM

I think we all need to mind our own business more, and quit trying to regulate the lives of others, ostensibly for their own good. If someone happens to die for want of wearing a helmet, it affects my life not one whit. In actuality, it's Darwinism at its best. It means that there will be less stupid people around to reproduce and dilute the gene pool. Evolution is a natural thing, and forcing people to live safely retards its progress.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #18 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

it is heading this way bear
post #19 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Whoops, sorry about that as the trains have already wrecked
post #20 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Stagehand,
Edit, and edit again, your grammar when submitting something official like you did. That's my advice. Though, you do write with a good foundation of passion, a clever choice of words, and very articulate points.
Politically I do agree with you, though I do find my self more and more falling into the category of "who cares." People are going to get themselves maimed and killed no matter what we do to try and stop them. So the question to ask yourself is: How hard do I want to try, how much energy shall I waste, on those who without logic continue to test the limits of their own morality?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode