Going to fix the dreaded Cowling Buzz today! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Going to fix the dreaded Cowling Buzz today!

I had my bike up for sale, but decided to keep it! Anyway I will be going to get the foam weather stripping (Ace Super Firm Sponge Tape) and the M6 bolts and rubber washers and locknuts today. Anything else I should get, and I guess I need to take apart the whole thing and look for signs of rubbing parts............................................. .

Love this bike, Hate the cowling buzz, to me it detracts from the otherwise stellar riding experience........................

Bikes:
2011 Kawasaki Versys (expected soon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Triumph Speedmaster (current)
2007 Buell XB STT Lightning (Sold)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Harley Fatbob (Current)
2007 Triumph Speedmaster (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha Raider (Sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S (Sold)
1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANYONWLF7 View Post
Love this bike, Hate the cowling buzz, to me it detracts from the otherwise stellar riding experience........................
agreed 100%. once i fixed the fairing could appreciate the bike. it used to just just make me mad every time i rode it. now, i still don't *love* it, but i do like it. that requires trust. i may take new tires and some time in the hills before i can love it.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANYONWLF7 View Post
I had my bike up for sale, but decided to keep it! Anyway I will be going to get the foam weather stripping (Ace Super Firm Sponge Tape) and the M6 bolts and rubber washers and locknuts today. Anything else I should get, and I guess I need to take apart the whole thing and look for signs of rubbing parts............................................. .

I've found that ear plugs will almost eliminate the cowling buzz.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:47 AM

I guess all of these bikes are different. Here's what I found with mine and how I fixed it. No telling if you have the same issue.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...392#post111392

V-Zee

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 AM

I found the buzz to be coming from the black plastic shroud that surrounds the instrument cluster, mainly the tab above the headlight. I cut a small piece from a heavy duty inner tube and placed it between the tab above the headlight and headlight housing. I had to cut the small triangular tabs that protrude to make enough clearance for the rubber piece but it completely eliminated the buzz. It will be evident what needs to be done once you disassemble it. Unlike foam, the rubber will not wear out anytime soon. As a side note, I did glue the rubber piece in place.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jws3 View Post
I posted some pics and descriptions in the other "Buzz" sticky. Used rubber washers and stainless factory matching hardware to replace the 2 plastic pushpins flanking the speedo to isolate the inner black cowling, which totally fixed my vibration issues as well.

Stainless metric hardware....Gotta love ACO hardware etc etc...love the little drawers in the hardware section..LOL
Regarding the 'push-pin' retainers on either side of the IP surround:
That was the final answer on my '09'. though I couldn't find (yet) rubber washers thin enough to not throw off the alignment of the bodywork, so I cut and made 'washers' from an old leather belt.
("any port in the storm"...that's what my father always said).
Glad my buzz didn't include the surgery some have had to do inside the IP cluster. (dodged a bullet there me thinks).

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Lowe's has rubber weatherstripping that works great!

Vulcan 1700 Classic

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Well I'm watching this closely but must say, coming from a KZ1000P, any less buzzing will be appreciated, that police fairing rattles and buzzed worse than anything I've ever heard! I've placed foam around there for some solution so I'll have to see what sounds my new ride makes when I pick it up, please post your results, thanks!

Rob
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 01:19 PM

I've tried it all and I still have the buzz. I use ear plugs and it makes it all better. I enjoy riding the bike so much that I just no longer care about the buzz.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Most of the buzzing involves the cheap flimsy black plastic surrounding the instrument cluster, I think I got rid of all the buzzing with the m6 screws and locknuts and rubber washers and the foam insulation, time will tell, I think earplugs may be the way to go at least some of the time as well......................

Bikes:
2011 Kawasaki Versys (expected soon

2011 Triumph Speedmaster (current)
2007 Buell XB STT Lightning (Sold)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Harley Fatbob (Current)
2007 Triumph Speedmaster (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha Raider (Sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S (Sold)
1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro (Sold)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 10:21 AM

Foam between the black 'dash' and the cowl plastic did it for me. About 1" pieces, spaced a few inches apart from the headlight back to the point at the rear of the black. No buzz at all anymore.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 10:38 AM

I had to do all of the following:

Put foam around the headlight shroud
Put foam along the side cowling where it contacts the black plastic deck
Replace the plastic brads that hold the plastic deck around the instruments with bolts

Those things fixed mine. I also get buzzing from the Zumo mount if I don't have the GPS mounted in it. The neoprene foam weather stripping at Ace Hardware worked for me. Kawasaki sells some little hard rubber "dampers" that come on the side cowlings, but fall off pretty quickly.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg123 View Post
Foam between the black 'dash' and the cowl plastic did it for me. About 1" pieces, spaced a few inches apart from the headlight back to the point at the rear of the black. No buzz at all anymore.
That's exactly what I did on my Saturday afternoon this past weekend, only I think I used about half as many one-inch pieces of the foam. For now, no buzz. I realize it may come back as the foam ages.

Tip for anyone looking for this most common source of buzz. Look for the tell-tale whitish areas on the black plastic dash piece. Those areas are formed by the vibration. Just make sure you have foam near those spots to absorb the vibration and keep the painted cowl and the black plastic dash from rubbing together.

Now everything will be perfect, just as soon as I get a new set of tires...

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:08 PM

Garage
I can see were there used to be foam on the black piece around the gauge. It is all gone now, and I am missing most of the pieces between the tank and fairing. I never notice any rattling. I m just happy to be riding.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode