pulled over... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
pulled over...

the offense?

40 in a 35... wow.

no ticket, but the atlanta PD motorcycle cop gave me a 20 minute tongue lashing.

maybe his donut tasted funny... i was pretty surprised.

what's the dumbest thing you've been pulled over for?

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 AM

Speeding
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Approx 27 mph in a 25 mph zone in Little Chute WI (near Appleton). My brother warned me in advance but I still couldn't believe it.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhwahl View Post
Approx 27 mph in a 25 mph zone in Little Chute WI (near Appleton). My brother warned me in advance but I still couldn't believe it.
Wow, that does seem a little extreme.

After a pretty heavy snowfall I got pulled over because the snow was still piled up on the back bumper of my truck and the officer couldn't see my license plate.....

Motorcycles, can't live without them!
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:35 AM

I got pulled over last weekend for tinted windows. I told him they were legal but he wanted to test them anyway. Sure enough they were legal. Thanks for wasting my time. Funny thing is that I was on my way out to get some donuts for breakfast.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:38 AM

I got pulled over on a sport bike for tire wear! He was following me through a small town (25mph) and I guess because I was not speeding he had to find something wrong. He said when I stopped at the light it appeared my tire was bald. He also wanted to know why my side walls where so pilled up I told him that I had been at Summit Point the weekend before at a track day and the heat in tires and hard cornering will cause that his eyebrows raised and he stepped back and put his hand on his hip. He actually checked the tire tread and when he decided it was gong to pass inspection at a state inspection station he backed off that but then he give me the what for about removing my factory fender and moving the license plate. He also questioned the location of my turn signals. I told him that I took all that stuff off for track days and this set up allowed me to do that. I also pointed out to him that I could choose to take them off and just use hand signals again he stepped back, hand on hip. In the end he gave me a warning and made me promise to relocate my license plate. Bottom line he was profiling sport bike riders and when I dismounted and pulled my helmet he had an old bald guy who knew his rights and the laws just as well as he did.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:39 AM

I got pulled over in east Rockwall County on FM548 doing 105 in a 55 zone. The sheriff said he had been trying to catch up with me for about 10 minutes. Believe it or not, no ticket. Just a disbelief shaking of his head trying to understand why a 65 year old man was going that fast.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 AM

I sitting in traffic on the west side highway of Manhattan for an hour one evening around dusk. Meanwhile 4-5 bikers passed by splitting the lanes and moving quickly. I had a hard day, there were boats in the river passing by, a nice breeze, and I just wanted to mellow out on my KLR 650. 40 minutes into the hour I see three of the bikes that passed me on the side of the road with an officer standing in the middle of the three lane highway funneling all the vehicles into one lane. I thought nothing of it until he stopped me, asked me to shut off the engine and push the bike across two lanes to the shoulder. He then let all of the cars pass. He then ignored me for 15 minutes until he finished with the other bikers. I asked him why he pulled me over and he said because I was lane splitting. I told the officer that I was behind the red Mazarati sports car from the garage near the highway. He got agitated and told me to save it for the courts. He then proceeded to tell me that he saw me several miles back and that he definitely saw me splitting the lanes. I knew he was lying, or had really bad eyesight. So the moral of the story is never argue with an officer, and you're damed if you do and damned if you don't....
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to snarky Send a message via MSN to snarky Send a message via Yahoo to snarky Send a message via Skype™ to snarky
Quote:
Originally Posted by indulf View Post
the offense?

40 in a 35... wow.

no ticket, but the atlanta PD motorcycle cop gave me a 20 minute tongue lashing.

maybe his donut tasted funny... i was pretty surprised.

what's the dumbest thing you've been pulled over for?
I would have told him to save the lecture, and give me a ticket. I don't need to be on the end of a cop's bad day. The flippin speedometer on the Versys can't be expected to be accurate within 5 mph anyways.

Texas has a soft spot for speeding outside of school zones. Get caught for speeding? Dismiss it with defensive driving. Get caught again within 12 months? Get adjudicated probation. Keep you nose clean for 3 months and thats the end of it. Get caught while on probation? You get two tickets, their cost, and all the points that they represent on your license because you deserve it.

I have had quite a few tickets in my driving career, I have no points on my license. I haven't had a ticket in several years now. *knock on wood* Mostly because I've learned to slow down a bit. Having a nice truck or a nice bike causes you to slow down to enjoy it. That said, my versys needs one of those all-weather radar detectors, I find myself unintentionally violating the posted speed. I feel like radar detectors allow you to be more conscious of the fact that "yes, there are cops, and no you shouldn't be speeding". The radar detector in my truck was the best investment I ever made. I get to ride slow while others passing me up get popped.

I don't feel like I've ever gotten a ticket I didn't deserve, because if I got caught once, that probably means there were dozens of times I was speeding that I didn't get caught, kind of like a traffic karma. That said, I always try to keep my speed reasonable for traffic conditions.

Last edited by snarky; 10-21-2010 at 11:46 AM.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 AM

120 in a 45, waving my 9mm out the window...with ONLY 5lbs of coke in the trunk...cop must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed that day...SHEESH!
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:47 AM

I got pulled over in a state reservation by a state trooper (who was unmarked in a maintenance department pickup truck!) for going the wrong direction around a rotary (traffic circle). It had rained a few inches the day before and sand and rocks had run off the hillside across the road. I couldn't tell if the road was washed out under the sand and rocks, so instead of risking it and going the "right" way around (about a 300 degree arc) I came to a complete stop, saw no cars in the roadway, signaled my intent to go the wrong way (about a 60 degree arc) and went through slowly. A moment later the pickup, which was parked off the road on the far side of the rotary, was next to me and the cop was just about jumping out of his own skin gesturing for me to pull over, which I did. He came over and started to read me the riot act about going the wrong way through a rotary. When he came up for air I said yes, I went through the wrong way in order to avoid the run off on the rotary since there was no way to tell if the road was washed out underneath. It was purely a safety measure, and one that I'd do again given similar circumstances. He asked for my license and registration (Officer, I have to reach into this pocket, is that OK?) and he came back with a warning. Could have been worse...he could have had a heart attack pulling me over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 PM

There's a longer list of stupid stuff for which I haven't been pulled over.....
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 12:58 PM

Stupidest ticket? Improper left turn. Took a left from a street where there was apparently a "no left turn" sign, despite a left turn being allowed from a driveway right next to the intersections.

Stupidest thing I *didn't* get ticketed for? Seeing where 3rd gear topped out on my C14. Middle of the day, clear highway (literally no cars in sight) in another state. Opened her up, came over a hill and saw a car, so backed off. As I rolled up on the car, I saw "SHERIFF" across the back of the trunk. Pucker factor 10, but he didn't do anything. I don't know if he didn't see me or decided since I immediately dropped back down to the speed limit I wasn't worth it.

Needless to say I stopped testing my bike's performance on the street after that.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
Texas has a soft spot for speeding outside of school zones. Get caught for speeding? Dismiss it with defensive driving. Get caught again within 12 months? Get adjudicated probation. Keep you nose clean for 3 months and thats the end of it. Get caught while on probation? You get two tickets, their cost, and all the points that they represent on your license because you deserve it.

Soft spot, my a$$. You can do Def Driving but the court costs will cost you as much as paying the ticket. or you can hire a Liar (lawyer) It all costs about the same.

I got ticketed for 40 in a 35 while taking the wife out to dinner on our anniversary!
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 01:20 PM

Big woop a couple of weeks ago when Phoenix police put a guy on the entrance road to the airport. Looked just like a maintenance guy sitting in the dirt taking a rest. Big straw hat, jeans, boots, reflective vest, the whole bit. Hard to see the radar gun in his lap. Rather creative.
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 02:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Speeding but the cop pulled me over from in front of me.... said I cam eup behind him to fast..I just pulled out of my driveway about 50 yards up the road he was stopped waiting to make a left.....WTF....

Local twon cop....Big fish in a very tiny pond...HUGE chip
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:03 PM

Having just changed the oil and cleaned/lubed the chain I was out in my residential neighborhood to make sure no leaks and chain wasn't slinging lube all over the place. Was doing 25 in a 30 mph zone and came to 'almost' a complete stop at a stop sign. I failed to see the cruiser behind me and the lights came on after making the turn. The officer said that I didn't put my foot down at the stop sign. He asked for my license but I left it at home (fortunately the insurance cert was in the bike). He asked if I knew my DL # and I gave it to him. He goes back to his cruiser and looks up my number. He comes back laughing when he realized that I was 67 and asked if I worked out. I said yes and he left laughing. Sometimes age has its benefits.

Because its there
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJay View Post
Having just changed the oil and cleaned/lubed the chain I was out in my residential neighborhood to make sure no leaks and chain wasn't slinging lube all over the place. Was doing 25 in a 30 mph zone and came to 'almost' a complete stop at a stop sign. I failed to see the cruiser behind me and the lights came on after making the turn. The officer said that I didn't put my foot down at the stop sign. He asked for my license but I left it at home (fortunately the insurance cert was in the bike). He asked if I knew my DL # and I gave it to him. He goes back to his cruiser and looks up my number. He comes back laughing when he realized that I was 67 and asked if I worked out. I said yes and he left laughing. Sometimes age has its benefits.
Now that a
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Big woop a couple of weeks ago when Phoenix police put a guy on the entrance road to the airport. Looked just like a maintenance guy sitting in the dirt taking a rest. Big straw hat, jeans, boots, reflective vest, the whole bit. Hard to see the radar gun in his lap. Rather creative.
Not too long ago the Washington State Patrol did a seat belt crackdown in my area. They'd dress up like the homeless beggars on the freeway off ramps only their cardboard sign would say "Don't give me money - I'm WSP checking your seatbelt".
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:46 PM

Reckless driving in WI. Which included a trip to jail house. All for leaving a bar with a six pack of beer. Hadnt been drinking but guess anybody has beer must be drunk. While at the police station he had me take my wallet out count the money. I asked how much for the ticket $600.00. Hmm must be coincident that is how much I had on me. It was almost 15 years before I would ever enter that crooked state again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode