I'd like to clarify the information. Buying my 2009 Versys this week so I'll need to get my wish list worked into the deal.
I want to start with the V35/Versys side bags and "possibly" add the top case later.
From what I've gathered the SW Motech is the way to go but it's also said that they make the OEM rack for the Versys, so does it matter who I get it from? Kawasaki or SW Moto? Is it exactly the same? This side rack replaces the passenger handles too correct?
Thanks for the assistance, it's a little confusing with all the info out there, I just want to be sure I get the correct parts the first time around. Take care!
Here's my understanding so far for the 2007-2009 models...
- SW-Motech makes the OEM top rack. It replaces the passenger handles.
- I believe GIVI makes the OEM side racks. It also replaces the passenger handles.
- The OEM top rack will NOT work with the OEM side racks without major modifications to the side racks.
- Givi makes a top rack (FZ447) that may work with the OEM side racks if you have a lot
- Givi makes a different side rack for the V35 bags (PLX447) that works with the Givi FZ447 top rack. It does not
replace the passenger handles. If you don't also have the top rack, you will have to buy a "fitting kit" to hook it to the bolts for the passenger handles. The top rack includes these pieces.
- Givi makes another siderack for the non-V35 side bags (PL447) that works with the Givi FZ447 top rack. Like the PLX447, it does not replace the passenger handles.
If you get any of the Givi side racks (OEM or non-OEM), brackets are included to reposition the rear turn signals. The wire for the left turn signal is too short, so it would have to be spliced and lengthed (which I did), or re-routed, possibly by drilling a small hole in the tail section.
- make a non-oem top rack (alu-rack).
- make a quick-lock side rack for V35 bags that work with the OEM top rack and the non-oem top alu-rack (could someone confirm?)
- make a quick-lock side rack for non-V35 bags that work with the OEM top rack (?) and the non-oem top alu-rack (could someone confirm?).
I have the Givi FZ447/PLX447 combination, and it works well. I tried the FZ447 with the OEM side racks and had fitting issues, but I think I'm the only one who had problems with it. Others have made it work.
If I had my time back, I'd have chosen the PL447 racks and other bags, simply because there's greater choice. The PLX / OEM side racks only work with the V35 bags.
I can't comment on the SW-Motech or OEM top rack, as I've never used them.