side bag rack - kawasaki or sw moto tech? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
side bag rack - kawasaki or sw moto tech?

Hello,

I'd like to clarify the information. Buying my 2009 Versys this week so I'll need to get my wish list worked into the deal.

I want to start with the V35/Versys side bags and "possibly" add the top case later.

From what I've gathered the SW Motech is the way to go but it's also said that they make the OEM rack for the Versys, so does it matter who I get it from? Kawasaki or SW Moto? Is it exactly the same? This side rack replaces the passenger handles too correct?

Thanks for the assistance, it's a little confusing with all the info out there, I just want to be sure I get the correct parts the first time around. Take care!

Rob

Last edited by zero niner; 10-20-2010 at 11:46 AM.
zero niner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Member
 
DennisD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SE Texas
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I used the SW Motech quick release racks for the V35 bags; the grab handles remained. However, if you are planning on adding a top case you might have to remove the handles and I can't answer if the quick detach racks are compatible with the top case rack.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
DennisD is offline  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Member
 
stlee29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bukit Mertajam,Penang,Malaysia
Posts: 3,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW Motech Quick-Lock EVO side carrier

There are adapters choices if you don't fancy the V35:
http://www.moto24.de/en/luggage-stor...e6b4668bd905a7

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stlee29 is offline  
 
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Member
 
healdem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire, UK
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
if you are buying panniers/saddle bags, then I'd suggest considering buying other bags. if you are in the Giviv camp, buy any one of the E series
...why becuase you can take the bags elsehwere
...uou can probably pick up a set of bags cheaper on fleabay

theres nothing wrong with the V35's but theres precious few ohter bikes that take 'em
healdem is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Member
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero niner View Post
Hello,

I'd like to clarify the information. Buying my 2009 Versys this week so I'll need to get my wish list worked into the deal.

I want to start with the V35/Versys side bags and "possibly" add the top case later.

From what I've gathered the SW Motech is the way to go but it's also said that they make the OEM rack for the Versys, so does it matter who I get it from? Kawasaki or SW Moto? Is it exactly the same? This side rack replaces the passenger handles too correct?

Thanks for the assistance, it's a little confusing with all the info out there, I just want to be sure I get the correct parts the first time around. Take care!

Rob
Here's my understanding so far for the 2007-2009 models...

OEM
- SW-Motech makes the OEM top rack. It replaces the passenger handles.
- I believe GIVI makes the OEM side racks. It also replaces the passenger handles.
- The OEM top rack will NOT work with the OEM side racks without major modifications to the side racks.

Givi
- Givi makes a top rack (FZ447) that may work with the OEM side racks if you have a lot of patience.
- Givi makes a different side rack for the V35 bags (PLX447) that works with the Givi FZ447 top rack. It does not replace the passenger handles. If you don't also have the top rack, you will have to buy a "fitting kit" to hook it to the bolts for the passenger handles. The top rack includes these pieces.
- Givi makes another siderack for the non-V35 side bags (PL447) that works with the Givi FZ447 top rack. Like the PLX447, it does not replace the passenger handles.

If you get any of the Givi side racks (OEM or non-OEM), brackets are included to reposition the rear turn signals. The wire for the left turn signal is too short, so it would have to be spliced and lengthed (which I did), or re-routed, possibly by drilling a small hole in the tail section.

SW-Motech
- make a non-oem top rack (alu-rack).
- make a quick-lock side rack for V35 bags that work with the OEM top rack and the non-oem top alu-rack (could someone confirm?)
- make a quick-lock side rack for non-V35 bags that work with the OEM top rack (?) and the non-oem top alu-rack (could someone confirm?).

I have the Givi FZ447/PLX447 combination, and it works well. I tried the FZ447 with the OEM side racks and had fitting issues, but I think I'm the only one who had problems with it. Others have made it work.

If I had my time back, I'd have chosen the PL447 racks and other bags, simply because there's greater choice. The PLX / OEM side racks only work with the V35 bags.

I can't comment on the SW-Motech or OEM top rack, as I've never used them.

Good luck,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 10-20-2010 at 03:44 PM.
DaveC is offline  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Member
 
CJBROWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: OC, So-Cal
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you have your sights set on the fancy Givi's that's cool, they are the nicest looking for sure.

For me, the cheap bastid that I am, thought that was WAY too much money, costing WAY more than anything I would ever haul in them.

I just ordered Happy-Trail SU racks and SEAHORSE cases. Not nearly as fancy but every bit as functional. Total investment: about $425, all in. Pics coming on completion, but here's a set on a bimmer as an example. Could use one as a top case as well, I haven't decided yet.



Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
CJBROWN is offline  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Here's my understanding so far for the 2007-2009 models...

OEM
- SW-Motech makes the OEM top rack. It replaces the passenger handles.
- I believe GIVI makes the OEM side racks. It also replaces the passenger handles.
- The OEM top rack will NOT work with the OEM side racks without major modifications to the side racks.

Good luck,
Dave C
Dave,

WOW, holy schnickes!!! That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much for taking the time to compile this! That part alone should be part of a sticky. Thanks again, you are a rock star!

Rob
zero niner is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
thanks for all the replies!

Thanks to everyone who posted up ideas on the racks, I love the information that everyone shares so freely and quickly here, definitely a benefit to a newbie like me. I appreciate it.

Rob
zero niner is offline  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Member
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you have an account on the UK Versys forum, the Panniers and top box thread there is very informative.

My personal advice would be to avoid the OEM racks completely if you want to run both a side rack and top rack together. Order all of the parts from within a single manufacturer (i.e. either all SW-Motech or all Givi) and you will be fine.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 10-20-2010 at 07:42 PM.
DaveC is offline  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero niner View Post
Dave,

WOW, holy schnickes!!! That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much for taking the time to compile this! That part alone should be part of a sticky. Thanks again, you are a rock star!

Rob
The work around for this only takes a couple of hours. All you have to do is cut the welded grab handles off of the Givi side case racks, grind the mounting pads smooth, then give it a quick shot of spray paint.

I went this route as my bike came with the SW-Motech Alu-rack (OEM rack) and I got a really good deal on the OEM side case racks. I also think the construction and mounting of the OEM side case racks is more robust than the SW-Motech side case racks or the non-OEM Givi racks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V_RearRackCombo.jpg (544.1 KB, 204 views)
ednukey is offline  
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Member
 
offcamber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Hampshire USA
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
What size seahorse cases are those??


Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
If you have your sights set on the fancy Givi's that's cool, they are the nicest looking for sure.

For me, the cheap bastid that I am, thought that was WAY too much money, costing WAY more than anything I would ever haul in them.

I just ordered Happy-Trail SU racks and SEAHORSE cases. Not nearly as fancy but every bit as functional. Total investment: about $425, all in. Pics coming on completion, but here's a set on a bimmer as an example. Could use one as a top case as well, I haven't decided yet.


offcamber is offline  
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Columbia Missouri
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Twistedthrottle.com
Givipl447 rack (allows other cases) 170.10
Giviplx447 kit 24.30
Givi E-21's 169.20
363$ plus shipping
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0940.jpg (561.8 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0942.jpg (875.0 KB, 182 views)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!


2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
Randy49 is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
Twistedthrottle.com
Givipl447 rack (allows other cases) 170.10
Giviplx447 kit 24.30
Givi E-21's 169.20
363$ plus shipping
Randy, that's perfect, I just got my bike today and it's the same 09 MGM (mean green machine) and I ordered the PL447 and V35 bags, good to know if I want to go slimmer or sleeker, I can get the kit and E-21's. I especially appreciate how your list of mods and a pic, now I can put items together and see what they'd look like on my machine.

Rob


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zero niner is offline  
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero niner View Post
Randy, that's perfect, I just got my bike today and it's the same 09 MGM (mean green machine) and I ordered the PL447 and V35 bags, good to know if I want to go slimmer or sleeker, I can get the kit and E-21's. I especially appreciate how your list of mods and a pic, now I can put items together and see what they'd look like on my machine.

Rob
Oops, I should say the dealer ordered me the PL447 and V35, after checking this, these are not going to work are they???


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zero niner is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 7,041
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
HB bags on stlee29 bike"



Mine with OEM Bag.



&
Fastoman is offline  
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Columbia Missouri
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You need the plx447 kit if you don't have the top rack. Uses the back handle bolt to hold that part of the side rack. If you have any questions about what will/won't work, twistedthrottle is very quick to respond to email questions. I've spent alot with them and have been very pleased with their customer service.
Welcome aboard also!!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!


2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
Randy49 is offline  
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That's what I thought but I do want the side rack to replace the grab handles, so I'll be ordering the factory accessory part from Kawasaki, so that should work with the V35 bags right? Without any further parts? Thanks again everyone!

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
You need the plx447 kit if you don't have the top rack. Uses the back handle bolt to hold that part of the side rack. If you have any questions about what will/won't work, twistedthrottle is very quick to respond to email questions. I've spent alot with them and have been very pleased with their customer service.
Welcome aboard also!!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zero niner is offline  
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Member
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero niner View Post
Oops, I should say the dealer ordered me the PL447 and V35, after checking this, these are not going to work are they???
No. If you have the V35 bags, you need the PLX447 rack. For any other Givi bag, you need the PL447 rack (no 'x').

If you don't have the FZ447 top rack, both of those will need the PLX447K adapter kit.

To double-check the parts required, you can use the configuration tool at www.givi.ca under "Your configuration". I apologize for not mentioning this site earlier, as it would have made things a lot simpler for you.

Good luck,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
DaveC is offline  
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Member
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero niner View Post
That's what I thought but I do want the side rack to replace the grab handles, so I'll be ordering the factory accessory part from Kawasaki, so that should work with the V35 bags right? Without any further parts? Thanks again everyone!

Rob
Yes, the OEM side racks work with the V35 bags. No other parts required.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
DaveC is offline  
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Yes, the OEM side racks work with the V35 bags. No other parts required.

Dave C
Thanks Dave, you have again come to my aid, really appreciate the assistance and clarification, I'll be changing the order today. Awesome!

Rob


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zero niner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome