side bag rack - kawasaki or sw moto tech? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
side bag rack - kawasaki or sw moto tech?

Hello,

I'd like to clarify the information. Buying my 2009 Versys this week so I'll need to get my wish list worked into the deal.

I want to start with the V35/Versys side bags and "possibly" add the top case later.

From what I've gathered the SW Motech is the way to go but it's also said that they make the OEM rack for the Versys, so does it matter who I get it from? Kawasaki or SW Moto? Is it exactly the same? This side rack replaces the passenger handles too correct?

Thanks for the assistance, it's a little confusing with all the info out there, I just want to be sure I get the correct parts the first time around. Take care!

Rob

Last edited by zero niner; 10-20-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 AM

I used the SW Motech quick release racks for the V35 bags; the grab handles remained. However, if you are planning on adding a top case you might have to remove the handles and I can't answer if the quick detach racks are compatible with the top case rack.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:28 AM

SW Motech Quick-Lock EVO side carrier

There are adapters choices if you don't fancy the V35:
http://www.moto24.de/en/luggage-stor...e6b4668bd905a7

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 PM

if you are buying panniers/saddle bags, then I'd suggest considering buying other bags. if you are in the Giviv camp, buy any one of the E series
...why becuase you can take the bags elsehwere
...uou can probably pick up a set of bags cheaper on fleabay

theres nothing wrong with the V35's but theres precious few ohter bikes that take 'em
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero niner View Post
Hello,

I'd like to clarify the information. Buying my 2009 Versys this week so I'll need to get my wish list worked into the deal.

I want to start with the V35/Versys side bags and "possibly" add the top case later.

From what I've gathered the SW Motech is the way to go but it's also said that they make the OEM rack for the Versys, so does it matter who I get it from? Kawasaki or SW Moto? Is it exactly the same? This side rack replaces the passenger handles too correct?

Thanks for the assistance, it's a little confusing with all the info out there, I just want to be sure I get the correct parts the first time around. Take care!

Rob
Here's my understanding so far for the 2007-2009 models...

OEM
- SW-Motech makes the OEM top rack. It replaces the passenger handles.
- I believe GIVI makes the OEM side racks. It also replaces the passenger handles.
- The OEM top rack will NOT work with the OEM side racks without major modifications to the side racks.

Givi
- Givi makes a top rack (FZ447) that may work with the OEM side racks if you have a lot of patience.
- Givi makes a different side rack for the V35 bags (PLX447) that works with the Givi FZ447 top rack. It does not replace the passenger handles. If you don't also have the top rack, you will have to buy a "fitting kit" to hook it to the bolts for the passenger handles. The top rack includes these pieces.
- Givi makes another siderack for the non-V35 side bags (PL447) that works with the Givi FZ447 top rack. Like the PLX447, it does not replace the passenger handles.

If you get any of the Givi side racks (OEM or non-OEM), brackets are included to reposition the rear turn signals. The wire for the left turn signal is too short, so it would have to be spliced and lengthed (which I did), or re-routed, possibly by drilling a small hole in the tail section.

SW-Motech
- make a non-oem top rack (alu-rack).
- make a quick-lock side rack for V35 bags that work with the OEM top rack and the non-oem top alu-rack (could someone confirm?)
- make a quick-lock side rack for non-V35 bags that work with the OEM top rack (?) and the non-oem top alu-rack (could someone confirm?).

I have the Givi FZ447/PLX447 combination, and it works well. I tried the FZ447 with the OEM side racks and had fitting issues, but I think I'm the only one who had problems with it. Others have made it work.

If I had my time back, I'd have chosen the PL447 racks and other bags, simply because there's greater choice. The PLX / OEM side racks only work with the V35 bags.

I can't comment on the SW-Motech or OEM top rack, as I've never used them.

Good luck,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 10-20-2010 at 03:44 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 PM

If you have your sights set on the fancy Givi's that's cool, they are the nicest looking for sure.

For me, the cheap bastid that I am, thought that was WAY too much money, costing WAY more than anything I would ever haul in them.

I just ordered Happy-Trail SU racks and SEAHORSE cases. Not nearly as fancy but every bit as functional. Total investment: about $425, all in. Pics coming on completion, but here's a set on a bimmer as an example. Could use one as a top case as well, I haven't decided yet.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Here's my understanding so far for the 2007-2009 models...

OEM
- SW-Motech makes the OEM top rack. It replaces the passenger handles.
- I believe GIVI makes the OEM side racks. It also replaces the passenger handles.
- The OEM top rack will NOT work with the OEM side racks without major modifications to the side racks.

Good luck,
Dave C
Dave,

WOW, holy schnickes!!! That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much for taking the time to compile this! That part alone should be part of a sticky. Thanks again, you are a rock star!

Rob
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies!

Thanks to everyone who posted up ideas on the racks, I love the information that everyone shares so freely and quickly here, definitely a benefit to a newbie like me. I appreciate it.

Rob
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 PM

If you have an account on the UK Versys forum, the Panniers and top box thread there is very informative.

My personal advice would be to avoid the OEM racks completely if you want to run both a side rack and top rack together. Order all of the parts from within a single manufacturer (i.e. either all SW-Motech or all Givi) and you will be fine.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 10-20-2010 at 07:42 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Dave,

WOW, holy schnickes!!! That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much for taking the time to compile this! That part alone should be part of a sticky. Thanks again, you are a rock star!

Rob
The work around for this only takes a couple of hours. All you have to do is cut the welded grab handles off of the Givi side case racks, grind the mounting pads smooth, then give it a quick shot of spray paint.

I went this route as my bike came with the SW-Motech Alu-rack (OEM rack) and I got a really good deal on the OEM side case racks. I also think the construction and mounting of the OEM side case racks is more robust than the SW-Motech side case racks or the non-OEM Givi racks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V_RearRackCombo.jpg (544.1 KB, 204 views)
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
What size seahorse cases are those??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
If you have your sights set on the fancy Givi's that's cool, they are the nicest looking for sure.

For me, the cheap bastid that I am, thought that was WAY too much money, costing WAY more than anything I would ever haul in them.

I just ordered Happy-Trail SU racks and SEAHORSE cases. Not nearly as fancy but every bit as functional. Total investment: about $425, all in. Pics coming on completion, but here's a set on a bimmer as an example. Could use one as a top case as well, I haven't decided yet.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:20 PM

Twistedthrottle.com
Givipl447 rack (allows other cases) 170.10
Giviplx447 kit 24.30
Givi E-21's 169.20
363$ plus shipping
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0940.jpg (561.8 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0942.jpg (875.0 KB, 182 views)

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
Twistedthrottle.com
Givipl447 rack (allows other cases) 170.10
Giviplx447 kit 24.30
Givi E-21's 169.20
363$ plus shipping
Randy, that's perfect, I just got my bike today and it's the same 09 MGM (mean green machine) and I ordered the PL447 and V35 bags, good to know if I want to go slimmer or sleeker, I can get the kit and E-21's. I especially appreciate how your list of mods and a pic, now I can put items together and see what they'd look like on my machine.

Rob

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Randy, that's perfect, I just got my bike today and it's the same 09 MGM (mean green machine) and I ordered the PL447 and V35 bags, good to know if I want to go slimmer or sleeker, I can get the kit and E-21's. I especially appreciate how your list of mods and a pic, now I can put items together and see what they'd look like on my machine.

Rob
Oops, I should say the dealer ordered me the PL447 and V35, after checking this, these are not going to work are they???

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
HB bags on stlee29 bike"

Mine with OEM Bag.

&
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 AM

You need the plx447 kit if you don't have the top rack. Uses the back handle bolt to hold that part of the side rack. If you have any questions about what will/won't work, twistedthrottle is very quick to respond to email questions. I've spent alot with them and have been very pleased with their customer service.
Welcome aboard also!!!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

That's what I thought but I do want the side rack to replace the grab handles, so I'll be ordering the factory accessory part from Kawasaki, so that should work with the V35 bags right? Without any further parts? Thanks again everyone!

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
You need the plx447 kit if you don't have the top rack. Uses the back handle bolt to hold that part of the side rack. If you have any questions about what will/won't work, twistedthrottle is very quick to respond to email questions. I've spent alot with them and have been very pleased with their customer service.
Welcome aboard also!!!

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Oops, I should say the dealer ordered me the PL447 and V35, after checking this, these are not going to work are they???
No. If you have the V35 bags, you need the PLX447 rack. For any other Givi bag, you need the PL447 rack (no 'x').

If you don't have the FZ447 top rack, both of those will need the PLX447K adapter kit.

To double-check the parts required, you can use the configuration tool at www.givi.ca under "Your configuration". I apologize for not mentioning this site earlier, as it would have made things a lot simpler for you.

Good luck,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
That's what I thought but I do want the side rack to replace the grab handles, so I'll be ordering the factory accessory part from Kawasaki, so that should work with the V35 bags right? Without any further parts? Thanks again everyone!

Rob
Yes, the OEM side racks work with the V35 bags. No other parts required.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Yes, the OEM side racks work with the V35 bags. No other parts required.

Dave C
Thanks Dave, you have again come to my aid, really appreciate the assistance and clarification, I'll be changing the order today. Awesome!

Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode