Epic Fail - My attempt to buy a 2009 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Epic Fail - My attempt to buy a 2009 Versys

OK gang,

I need your input. I was like a kid in a candy store this morning expecting to end the day with a new Versys. As you will see, it didn't happen that way. Am I out of line here? I need a perspective other than my own since I am so intimate with it. If I'm out of line, please call me out. I was simply excited about getting a bike that I didn't end up with. If it is my fault, then so be it and I will accept responsibility. Am I out of line here? If so, I fully accept responsibility and appologize to Champions Honda in Cocoa Beach.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Mealey,

I feel I must advise you of the poor experience I have had in my attempt to purchase a motorcycle from Champions Honda in Cocoa.

I saw a listing on Cycletrader.com on Sunday, 10/17/10, for a 2009 Green Kawasaki Versys at Champions Honda in Cocoa for $3988. I sent an email asking for an out the door price and inquired about financing options.

I called the dealership on Monday after 10:00 AM and spoke to Craig. I advised Craig that I had sent an email on Sunday and he said, "yeah, I saw it but haven't gotten around to giving a reply". Anyway, we discussed the OTD price and the financing options for the Blue one. I told him I would try to leave work early that day to stop by, but if I couldn't, I would come by the next day.

On Tuesday around 1:00 PM, I called Craig and told him I wanted to come down, view the bike and most likely buy it. He said, sorry, I sold it to a guy in Georgia. Why in the world wouldn't he give me a call to sell it locally to ensure he received some good word of mouth advertising?

Anyway, I told him I would buy the Green one for the same price. He said no, that one is $700 more. I asked why and he couldn't give me an answer. Thus, I asked him who his General Manager was and he told me Mike Marconni (sp?). I asked Craig to have Mike give me a call. Craig asked, "why do you want to talk with Mike?", to which I responded, because I want to understand why the same bike in a different color is $700 more. Craig said he would pass the message to Mike and have him call me back.

I called a few hours later to see if Mike was back and I was told he was at the Eustis store. I called them and they said they didn't know a Mike Marconni.

Just before 5:00 PM, I received a call from Mike. I attempted to explain my dissatisfaction and told him I was willing to give Champions one more opportunity to save the deal and my perception of the dealership. I asked to buy the green bike for the price advertised on Cycletrader and Mike advised me that it sold today. I told Mike I had been trying to get in touch with him all day and I finally received a call back after he has nothing to offer. He said, yes, I don't have anything to sell you.

In today's economy, I can't imagine doing business in this fashion. I simply wanted a good deal on a good bike. If you choose to make a few dollars more selling to GA rather than selling locally, I don't know what that does for your future repurchase intent. If you track these trends, as I do, repurchase intent is a critical factor in surviving tomorrow with all the uncertanty out there.

I would love to receive a call from you, but your GM assured me it was not worth my effort to pursue this.

Regards,

Shaun

1975 Kawasaki MC90
1977 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ125
1981 Yamaha YZ125
1982 Yamaha YZ125
1983 Yamaha YZ125
1984 Honda CR125
1996 Yamaha PW80 (son's)
1999 Kawasaki KX250
2001 Suzuki PW50 (son's)
2001 Yamaha YZ125
2003 Kawasaki KLX110 (son's)
2005 KTM 525 EXC Racing w/Motard set up
2009 Kawasaki Versys - I like this street bike thing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 PM

I would call it bad luck/ timing on your part ... From their perspective ... bird in the hand ... well you know the rest ... also ... from their perspective ... tough economy ... a couple hundred extra dollars to pay the overhead ... can't hate them for that ... NOW ... from your perspective ... be patient hold out for your deal ... it will be there when the timing is in your favor ... I had a similar situation happen to me this summer ... frustrating at the time ... BUT ... I did end up with the deal I wanted ... just not as soon as I wanted ... good luck .. be patient ... perserver ... in the end you'll have it your way ...

If your not living on the EDGE ... Your taking up to much SPACE ... !!!
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 PM

Shaun,

I understand your disappointment in missing out on a good deal, but I don't think the dealership's actions were terrible. Maybe they could have been a little more attentive, polite and responsive, such as answering your e-mail promptly, but here's the bottom line, as I see it.

Dealers have to deal (no pun intended) with tons of dreamers and tire kickers who say they're going to buy, want to buy, etc., and have no hope of scraping together the money. If you put down some cash, they should hold the bike. If you've done paperwork for financing, they have an obligation to you. But at the time the guy in Georgia came through with cash, you hadn't yet made any firm commitment, so they were within their rights to sell the bike immediately (just as you would have been within your rights to change your mind and not buy it). I know that you know you were serious, but they couldn't know that for sure. You could have been a dreamer/tire kicker.

I think they were also within their rights to price the green bike higher. The fact that it also sold quickly showed that they were right to price it higher, from a supply-demand perspective.

I understand your disappointment. But it's still a buyer's market overall out there, and you'll find another good deal, even if not one as incredibly good as the one you just missed.

All JMO and no offense intended.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

No offense on my part guys. I posted this to get an unbiased perspective. Too many times I am on the other end in my industry. I simply wanted another perspective.

Yes, I'm emotional, and I'm pissed off! It doesn't mean that I am right.

I'd like to see if I get any other responses. I thought I had communicated my commitment to the dealer and I'm pissed they didn't seem to show any loyalty. There was more conversation than I shared which is why I would have expected the dealer to clue me in if I was at risk in losing the deal.

Thanks guys,

Shaun

1975 Kawasaki MC90
1977 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ125
1981 Yamaha YZ125
1982 Yamaha YZ125
1983 Yamaha YZ125
1984 Honda CR125
1996 Yamaha PW80 (son's)
1999 Kawasaki KX250
2001 Suzuki PW50 (son's)
2001 Yamaha YZ125

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 PM

Sorry, but you are "out of line". In this case dealer is not guilty of anything. I hope that you'll find your dream Versys soon. Good luck!
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runn View Post
Sorry, but you are "out of line". In this case dealer is not guilty of anything. I hope that you'll find your dream Versys soon. Good luck!
Runn,

Thanks for your input. I'm seeking an unbiased opinion. I thought I had communicted my commitment and didn't feel the dealer cared. I thought selling locally would have provided much more benefit than a couple of hundred dollars more profit. My perspective was that they should have supported me so I could have supported them as a satisfied customer and sent future prospects their way.

I doubt the customer in GA would've sent as much traffic their way as I would have. Not only for a bike, but for a helmet, jacket, filters, lubes, etc.

I guess I am a dreamer instead of a " get what you can now" guy at the expense of the future.

Thanks again for your input.

Shaun

1975 Kawasaki MC90
1977 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ125
1981 Yamaha YZ125
1982 Yamaha YZ125
1983 Yamaha YZ125
1984 Honda CR125
1996 Yamaha PW80 (son's)
1999 Kawasaki KX250
2001 Suzuki PW50 (son's)
2001 Yamaha YZ125

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 PM

At this point in time it's water under the bridge. When I saw you post that awesome price I checked Cycle Trader and saw that deal. I just bought a 09 in N Cal for a lot more and still feel I got a decent price. A such a great discount and on leftover stock first buyer with money gets the bike. Who knows maybe it was BS or like car dealers do, maybe they sold one at that price to generate interest, a Loss Leader. In the Future I would suggest you use a credit card over the phone to put a sufficient deposit to hold the bike till you can get to the dealer. On a different note if you finance this bike you may be required to have full coverage ins. which is significantly more expensive. and this is just not expensive enough bike in my mind to justify the several hundred more dollars anually needed to insure it. If your concerned about costs.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 10-19-2010 at 11:59 PM.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:00 AM

I agree with motociclista.

Also, dealers almost never call back. Unless they really think they're going to be able to close the deal. Maybe they didn't get that vibe from you.

Even when I was shopping for a car for my sweet wife. I already had credit approval at several dealers but they waited weeks to call me back. At that point I asked why they were calling now as I already had a car.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 AM

Garage
I do not feel the dealer was out of line. I work in retail(not motor sports) and am always told by people that they will be in to buy a certain item. The majority of the time, they never come through. If I held a item every time someone said that they wanted something I would have nothing to sell, and still not sell the the original person.

If a person is truly serious they put down money. As for the price of the Green V, I do not feel it should have cost anymore than the Blue V. However that is how business works. They set a price, and you decide if you are willing to par it. They felt it was worth $700 more, and I guess 1 other person did as well.

In this day $ talks.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:27 AM

I call bull**** on the part of the dealer. Did you actually see the blue one advertised in person? Sounds like they left the ad up just to get more calls. Who knows when or if they ever had a blue one at that price. The green versys... who knows. They can sell it for $700 more, but when dealing with a dealer, the truth is never sure. Maybe they sold it, maybe they were going to buy it from somewhere else and sell it to you, hence the $700 markup. Keep checking Craigslist too. Used is not bad.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

I guess our business philosophy is quite different. We believe that customer repurchase intent is as or more important than the sale we make today. This is the only way to ensure your product is a viable alternative when the consumer upgrades or makes an addition in the future.

Let's say the GA guy paid the same as me. I'm local...

Now, a few months from now when I need oil, a filter or an accessory, which customer is more likely to return to the shop to purchase? I doubt the GA guy will travel or call to order the stuff he'll need. But I can gurantee you, I will not step a foot into that dealership.

For this reason, we mandate that our dealers NOT sell out of their territories. It also prohibits dealers from telling consumers that since they didn't buy from them that they must go somewhere else for service.

This is repurchase intent with respect to accessories/maintenance items. Now, let's say a year or so from now I want to get a bike for one of my 3 sons. Do you think the GA guy will walk in to shop? I know I will not walk through their door to shop.

I'm trying to demonstrate there is more to business than the pay me now and never see you again later.

If you build brand and DEALERSHIP loyalty, people are willing to pay more.

I can't say how many times on various forums that people say to patronize and support your local dealer instead of buying on the internet. But this goes both ways. The dealers need to support those that support them and don't shop the internet.

Customer service is worth the price to the conumer and the dealer, but it can not be one sided.

This dealership has ensured I will never spend one cent in their establishment and they have also ensured I will never recommend them to my friends, coworkers or anyone else.

In the end, what did they gain for the future? I doubt they gained as much as they lost by not spending a minute to give me the option to buy or back out of the transaction.

Does this make any sense or am I just blowing smoke?

Thanks,

Shaun

1975 Kawasaki MC90
1977 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ125
1981 Yamaha YZ125
1982 Yamaha YZ125
1983 Yamaha YZ125
1984 Honda CR125
1996 Yamaha PW80 (son's)
1999 Kawasaki KX250
2001 Suzuki PW50 (son's)
2001 Yamaha YZ125

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Bug View Post
I call bull**** on the part of the dealer. Did you actually see the blue one advertised in person? Sounds like they left the ad up just to get more calls. Who knows when or if they ever had a blue one at that price. The green versys... who knows. They can sell it for $700 more, but when dealing with a dealer, the truth is never sure. Maybe they sold it, maybe they were going to buy it from somewhere else and sell it to you, hence the $700 markup. Keep checking Craigslist too. Used is not bad.
Alien,

I called a few dealers and they had no idea how this dealership could be selling the bike at this price. They suggested this was simply a "bait and switch" tactic.

At this point, I guess I'll never know unless the GA guy signs on here to inform us.

Believe me, I am looking for used as I am so disappointed in the whole dealership situation. It seems the bike has a solid reputation, so used shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thanks,

Shaun

1975 Kawasaki MC90
1977 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ125
1981 Yamaha YZ125
1982 Yamaha YZ125
1983 Yamaha YZ125
1984 Honda CR125
1996 Yamaha PW80 (son's)
1999 Kawasaki KX250
2001 Suzuki PW50 (son's)
2001 Yamaha YZ125

Last edited by Eastflorida; 10-20-2010 at 01:00 AM.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 01:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastflorida View Post
I doubt they gained as much as they lost by not spending a minute to give me the option to buy or back out of the transaction.

Does this make any sense or am I just blowing smoke?

Thanks,

Shaun
And what transaction are you speaking of? From what you wrote on here you were very interested in buying the bike and would try to get down there that day of the next. That is not a transaction. As far as the dealer is concerned you were just a tire kicker while GA guy was there with money.

I did the same thing when I bought my trailer from a dealer. I stopped in to get some parts for another trailer and saw they had a just traded in trailer on the lot. They told me some guy was coming in the next morning to look at it. I drove to the bank and got the money and left towing it. They had no idea if the other guy would actually buy, but they did have me standing there with the money in hand.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:54 AM
Raf

Sounds like very bad sales skill from the dealer part.

You can't blame them for selling the first bike, but when they did it would be good sales practice to call you about it and tell they sold it. They could then have offered you the other one they had with a little discount if you hurry to the shop right away. It would then be up to you to respond quickly.

It's the same everywhere with car/bike dealers. Last year when the recession was bad they would go the extra mile to sell.......now they are back on there high horses. Then they blame the customer for not being loyal to dealerships/brands anymore and buying as cheap as possible all over the country.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 05:04 AM

I;d agree with eastflorida
it sounds to me like a come on. come on into the shop, sadly the bike you wanted has just been sold, but whilst you are hear have a look at this....

relationships may have been the way of selling years ago, these days less so.

I've seen similar techniques used by
estate agents (realtors in US speak), if only you'd come in lkast week I had a perfect home for you.
recruitment consultants, yes there are a few knowledgeable and caring ones out there but most are pimps, they just want to place a body into the contract so they can earn fees.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf View Post
Sounds like very bad sales skill from the dealer part.

You can't blame them for selling the first bike, but when they did it would be good sales practice to call you about it and tell they sold it. They could then have offered you the other one they had with a little discount if you hurry to the shop right away. It would then be up to you to respond quickly.

It's the same everywhere with car/bike dealers. Last year when the recession was bad they would go the extra mile to sell.......now they are back on there high horses. Then they blame the customer for not being loyal to dealerships/brands anymore and buying as cheap as possible all over the country.
Raf here more or less said my viewpoint as well as hawkshot99 trailer example, can't blame a dealer for selling but would of been disappointed if they did not match that price on a identical V(apart from colour) myself or at least try to talk up a deal by throwing in some extras as a compromise.

All the best with your hunt but plenty more fish in the sea.
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 06:12 AM
djg

The price quoted for the second green bike was pretty good. It's what I paid for mine last July. I had that bike on my pickup truck heading home eight hours after seeing it on Cycletrader at about 5 AM at work Saturday morning, including a three hour drive to the next state.

hint: You need to jump on a deal with a firm commitment ASAP.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Tough call on who's right or wrong i worked in sales for years and you take the deal thats ready to pay. Because most people are talking to you and several other dealers about buying a bike. If you had put down a deposit they would know you were serious. As my mother always said " Money Talks & Bull**** Walks ". Theres an 09 green for sale on this forun in nebraska for 4200.00 has less than a thousand miles on it at that price you could have it shipped and still be under the 5500.00

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Often dealers will mark up the same bike if they feel one color is more popular than another. Supply and demand. Its their prerogative to do so...yours to buy it or not.

Keep the faith your deal is out there.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 AM

eastflorida,

I just skimmed over some of the previous posts, so I'm sorry if this is redundant. In any of your conversations with the dealer did you utter the words "will you hold it for me?" I'm doubtful that they ever sold one at that price anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode