6Likes
  • 3 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By saddlebag
  • 2 Post By 2linby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Angry Rear Disc too hot!

I replaced rear tire of my Versys 650 last week.But, whenever I ride it I realized that rear disc gets too hot.I have never realized that before.
Is that normall or something is wrong.
I checked it many times.all looks good.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thx.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:41 PM

Whats too hot? Glowing red?

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

No.Not glowing red
I just touched the disc unconsciously and felt very hot.But front is never like that.Than I check it always after riding and find it hot.That makes me uncomfortable for sure.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
are you using it excessively as appose to the front brake? friction = heat

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

I think yes.because I rode mostly in the city and in slow speed.So I temp to use mostly rear break.Do you think that makes it so hot.
That does not look to me right answer actually.
There is no curve on the disc.I controlled it a few times.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Rear Wheel Removed By

Did you remove the rear wheel? The brake caliper sits in a special mounting, the spacers need to be in the correct order and alignment of the wheel is also important. Finally check your brake fluid reservoir, there needs to be a bit of room for expansion, otherwise the fluid will expand into the caliper and apply force on the brake pads, even when the brake lever is released.
turn8a, Destroyem and quexpress like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Onewizard, I'II check all tomorrow again.
Thank you for help.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harun View Post
I think yes.because I rode mostly in the city and in slow speed.So I temp to use mostly rear break.Do you think that makes it so hot.
Yes, that's how brakes work. They change the energy of motion into heat. And even if you don't use it, it'll still get warm as the brake pads always drag a bit. Just the way they work.
harun likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Saddlebag, so nothing to worry than.This is normall?
Thank you.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
No.Not glowing red
I just touched the disc unconsciously and felt very hot.But front is never like that.Than I check it always after riding and find it hot.That makes me uncomfortable for sure.
harun - WHAT year is your Versys? IF it's a Gen 3 ('15, '16, '17) I BELIEVE that there's a problem in Gen 3 rear brakes. I needed to replace my pads in Alaska at about 12,000 miles, while my '08 has 70,000 miles on the ORIGINAL rear pads...!

Also - check that your rear-brake master cylinder (UNDER the seat) is NOT overfull, causing pressure on the fluid when the lid is screwed down.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mk-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
harun - WHAT year is your Versys? IF it's a Gen 3 ('15, '16, '17) I BELIEVE that there's a problem in Gen 3 rear brakes. I needed to replace my pads in Alaska at about 12,000 miles, while my '08 has 70,000 miles on the ORIGINAL rear pads...!

Also - check that your rear-brake master cylinder (UNDER the seat) is NOT overfull, causing pressure on the fluid when the lid is screwed down.
MK-3 with less than 10,000 miles and Wobble in other post.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Thx for your answer Fasteddiecopeman.
how can I see rear-brake master cylinder, and decide if it is overtfull.I have no idea.
When I open seat, I can not locate what is master cylinder.
Sorry for that.I am so bad for technical issues.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

my Versys is 2015 ABS Modell by the way

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 PM

Red face

Quote:
That does not look to me right answer actually.
There is no curve on the disc.I controlled it a few times.
Ok. Your condition is not normal. But I can assure you it has nothing to do with the bike. It is your braking technique. You need to learn/relearn how to use both brakes every time, every time, every time! you have to brake. Gee why? you ask. Braking, like most things is a muscle memory thing. If you only use the rear brakes, then in a vital emergency what are your muscles going to do? ONLY USE THE REAR BRAKE. Oh no not me I know better,... right? Well no. If you start using both brakes to stop friction converts your energy into heat, and it does a better job because it is being shared over multiple sources of surface area. BOTH SETS OF BRAKES!!! (WOW this is blowing my mind!) No really. Secondly if and when you really need to brake in a critical emergency situation, you just do what you've trained yourself to do. USE BOTH BRAKES! Simple.....

Hey riding a motorcycle is not rocket science, well actually it is, BUT you can do it! With practice and practice means practicing right. Smooth control input translate to smoother actions on the road. Simple. Pease man!
silviefox and harun like this.

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".

Last edited by 2linby; 02-03-2017 at 10:58 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

ok ok.I ll do it but that is not an answer for my question.
Funny you are Hahahaaaaa...

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Too Much Talking/ Funny Post

Quote:
Thx for your answer Fasteddiecopeman.
how can I see rear-brake master cylinder, and decide if it is overtfull.I have no idea.
When I open seat, I can not locate what is master cylinder.
Sorry for that.I am so bad for technical issues.
It is actually the reservoir you need to look at, there is a full line and lower line. Stand on foot brake side of bike, get your nose down almost touching the frame looking at the fuse block, notice a Large Black Cap to the left of fuse block, look below cap, notice arrow on white container, Lower and upper, the inside has a rubber insert that moves with expansion and contraction, if it is overfilled, the insert can't compensate and the result is constant pressure on rear brake, not enough to lock up the back wheel because it would be almost impossible to overfill that much unless you did it at minus 30'C, as putting the cap back on would cause excess to run out.But if it was overfilled there would be enough pressure to have the brake drag all the time once warmed up. The fluid is a very light beige / almost clear.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=versy...HacDDDwQsAQIGQ
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Ok onewizard.Thank you very much for helping.I'll check it carefully.
I plan to change only oil and filter today.I wait your new thread about Shim Change than I'll try to do mines later.This time I can replace spark Plugs too.

Have a good weekend.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

I just checked brake fluid reservoir, it looks in the middle level which is normall.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode