• 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By harun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wobbling!

Hi Guys,

The last 2 weeks, my Versys is wobbling when it is in idle.Especially, when I stop on red light, I put gear to idle and bike starts to wobbling like Boxer BMW Engine
Anybody has something similar or any idea what it is.
I appreciate all answers.
Thx. and ride safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Really need more info.

When you put gear to idle? What does that mean?

How many rpms are you turning when this "wobble" is going on?

Does it always "wobble" at idle? If not, what rpms are you turning when not "wobbling"?

Recently get gas?

If you have a thermometer gun check the temperatures of both exhaust pipes near the engine when it is wobbling. Results?

Good luck.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

While I ride I do not feel it.Only when I stop on Red light.Rpms is quite low of course..

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harun View Post
While I ride I do not feel it.Only when I stop on Red light.Rpms is quite low of course..

When it is idling get a temperature of the exhaust pipes near the engine. And I repeat, how many rpms?

You are asking folks for ideas on what's wrong with your bike. We really need more specific info to help as we are not there to check it out.

By "wobble" you could even have one or more of the motor mounts loose/missing. We need the data or we are just guessing.
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Yes may be I m not able to explain my problem well enough.Unfortunately I m so bad about technical works.

I ve to check for rpm than let you know.
I even do not know how to check temperature of the exhaust pipes near the engine????
Did you ever ride BMW GS?when gear is not engaged, bike pull always to one side a little.Thiş is typcally BMW way
My versys started to act like that.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
MK-3 Motorcycle

Just a quick fill in here, this is a new bike, I received a PM request to do a engine vacuum sync, bike is somewhere under 10,000 miles, I mentioned EVS wasn't needed if you are having no problems. So this was several days ago, it now looks like he does indeed have a problem.
I am in the process of putting my 2015 back together @ 11000 KM, I found one exhaust valve tight @.20 mm instead of .22 to .31 mm, intake I had several at spec. 0.15. I am not going into detail here as I have some news as to simplification of doing this valve shim job and will do a new posting in a couple days. I will say all my valves are now at maximum clearance ( intake ) 0.21 mm and ( exhaust) 0.31 mm .
So Harun, you need to tell :Idle RPM=
Take a picture of instrument @ idle.
Can you make a 10 second video with sound? ( ya I know , if you could do this you wouldn't need help in the first place)

My guess is you need a throttle body vacuum sync but as Steve in Sunny Fl has pointed out much earlier, you probably have some tight valves causing the vacuum to be off. So I hate to say it but you may need to do a valve shim check first, continued running under these conditions could cause permanent damage.
harun likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-03-2017 at 10:56 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Onewizard,

oh my god.That was my nightmare.I think conditions force me to open the engine for any case

I ll make a video and check rpm etc. than will let you know right now.
Please let me 10 min.
Thank you so much as always.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

oooffff!!! video is ready but I can not attach here.What am I supposed to do.
damn

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
oooffff!!! video is ready but I can not attach here.What am I supposed to do.
damn
YouTube? Vimeo?

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Here is the video.
I hope that helps a little..

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:09 PM
jpd

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
My 2013 with 1500 miles does the same thing. At a stop with the bike upright and light pressure on my feet the bile will rock side to side just a little bit. Your video will not show it with it on the side stand. I asked a buddy with a ninja 650 and his does the same thing. Could be from the uneven power pulses of the engine design.
harun likes this.

Jeff

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Weird
Because I did not feel this till 7000 miles.Than it start to pull left to right according to engine rev.That makes me nervous and afraid of riding really.
Do you think that is because of uneven power pulses of the engine design.So is that normall?

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:42 PM
jpd

Garage
Mine dosen't pull to one side with throttle. It rocks side to side,about 1/8" at the guages at idle. It goes away with any gas or if I am moving.
If it pulls to one side with throttle it is more than engine power pulses/ vibration at idle.

Jeff

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
you have two pistons side by side pumping up and down they some times make a harmonic shake, all the p-twin motor bikes ive ever had have that feeling, like you mentioned with the GS (two pistons going side to side making it even more noticeable)
harun likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Too Much talking

Quote:
Weird
Because I did not feel this till 7000 miles.Than it start to pull left to right according to engine rev.That makes me nervous and afraid of riding really.
Do you think that is because of uneven power pulses of the engine design.So is that normall?
Okay watched the video, some guy kept talking and with my hearing problem it was hard to focus on the motor. Was this motor warmed up before you shot the video? In another thread http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...er-3k-rpm.html , this problem you describe is partially related to vacuum but more importantly to valve clearance, a tight valve will change vacuum balance. My 2015 has 11,000 KM which is roughly 7000 miles, it is possible you have tight valves. It is going to be a couple days before I post the changes to how to do a valve shim check, one obstacle is the way the photos are displayed. I looked at photobuckets, it is my understanding that once your membership expires so do the photos. Since I have managed for 67 years without photo buckets, I am reluctant to go that route. Looking at other options like adobe photoshop.

Just added my settings for the TPS.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...gs-mk-3-a.html
harun likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I can NOT notice anything unusual in the way your bike is idling. Seems pretty much identical to mine. BTW - I think you mean "vibrating" as opposed to "wobbling".

Your bike at "high-idle" when you start, then down to "low-idle" as it warms is normal.
harun likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

That answer made me feel good.
Thanks..
onewizard likes this.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 07:56 PM

Another thing to consider is the fuel moving around in the tank. With the relatively tall stance of the Versys, and short wheelbase, I often feel the movement of the fuel inside the tank. In fact, the engine doesn't have to be running-- at a stop, with the engine off, I can lift the bike from the side stand and will feel the fuel as it sloshes side to side (probably more noticeable when tank is closer to full).

Not sure if this is also a factor that you're feeling, but thought it worth mentioning.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

The last 2 weeks, my Versys is wobbling when it is in idle.Especially, when I stop on red light, I put gear to idle and bike starts to wobbling like Boxer BMW Engine
Anybody has something similar or any idea what it is.
I appreciate all answers.
Thx. and ride safe.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwoodard View Post
Another thing to consider is the fuel moving around in the tank. With the relatively tall stance of the Versys, and short wheelbase, I often feel the movement of the fuel inside the tank. In fact, the engine doesn't have to be running-- at a stop, with the engine off, I can lift the bike from the side stand and will feel the fuel as it sloshes side to side (probably more noticeable when tank is closer to full).

Not sure if this is also a factor that you're feeling, but thought it worth mentioning.
Thanks.I ll consider that next time when I ride.

Ride safe.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:09 AM

Yes, I've noticed the rocking motion when the fuel tank is about 3/4 full. The first time it happened was very disconcerting. Perhaps there is some harmonic thing going on with the engine rpm and a particular fuel level, or maybe it is just fuel level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode