Is this a "good" price? What did you pay OTD? What color? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is this a "good" price? What did you pay OTD? What color?

OK,

First of all, I thank all of you who replied to my first post regarding 1st street bike. I appreciate the varied opinions and the fact so many replied. This seems to be a great group of enthusiasts!

So, I was curious. What was your best deal on your Versys (new or used)? I can't find a used one near me....

I appreciate this opens a can of worms as some received better deals than others and NO ONE wants to think they ever paid too much for something!!

I have been quoted $5,500 OTD for a new, 2009, untitled, 0 miles, full warranty, Blue Versys by a dealer.

For some reason, his 2009 Green one is $700 more.

These are in US $.

OTD includes all the freight, dealer fees, taxes, tags, etc. I drive it home at this price.....

Should I jump on this or work them harder?

Blue or Green? Did you get one color and wish you had chosen another?

Again, I thank everyone for their input and I hope to join your ranks soon!

Shaun

Last edited by Eastflorida; 10-18-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:37 PM

Green or Blue, it does not matter they are both slower than the reds.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 PM

Garage
I assume you are in the U.S. with that price? In Canada you can find 09's discounted from the $8,699 MSRP to about $6299. That discount is rock bottom, you likely won't be able to work a better deal.

If that helps.

Always trust your cape.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Green or Blue, it does not matter they are both slower than the reds.
I heard something about that. I also heard it is a magnet of sorts. For some reason, they attract the attention of Police/Highway Patrol/Sheriff radar units!

Last edited by Eastflorida; 10-18-2010 at 06:50 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastflorida
I have been quoted $5,500 OTD for a new, 2009, untitled, 0 miles, full warranty, Blue Versys by a dealer.
This! That's a FANTASTIC deal! Even up here the 09's are going for about $6500 from the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastflorida
I heard something about that. I also heard is a magnet of sorts. For some reason they attract the attention of Police/Highway Patrol/Sheriff radar units!
Put luggage on, it blocks the signal.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:57 PM

That's a great price. And
To me OTD means what does it take to drive the bike home (to own the bike).
This number will vary depending on the state we live in. In California we have 8.75% sales tax plus the DMV doc fee's, that need to be included to get the OTD price.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 10-18-2010 at 07:02 PM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
This number will vary depending on the state we live in. In California we have 8.75% sales tax plus the DMV doc fee's, that need to be included to get the OTD price.
That's why this question is impossible to answer....Every state has different tax, license, and registration schedules.

OTD should be: bike, freight, prep, & doc fee. Those are the negotiables! Not state mandated fees.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
That's why this question is impossible to answer....Every state has different tax, license, and registration schedules.

OTD should be: bike, freight, prep, & doc fee. Those are the negotiables! Not state mandated fees.
OK, my OTD includes driving it home! All the dealer prep, dealer fees, taxes, tags, etc... This is the OTD price! What do you think? $5,500 a good deal on an '09?

Why more for the green?

Shaun
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:23 PM

OTD Price = total money out of your wallet

Yes it's good price. Go put a deposit on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastflorida View Post
OK, my OTD includes driving it home! All the dealer prep, dealer fees, taxes, tags, etc... This is the OTD price! What do you think? $5,500 a good deal on an '09?

Why more for the green?

Shaun

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 10-18-2010 at 07:27 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Why more for the green?

Shaun
Shaun,

I get that but your states fees are most likely different than mine so there is no way to tell you if it's a good deal.

Example:

Let's say your state has a 2% vehicle tax and a $25 license fee, your purchase price would be $5367 leading to $5500 OTD.

In AZ (Phoenix) we pay 9.1% vehicle tax and a steep license fee (~$225 for Versys). My purchase price would be $4835 leading to the $5500 OTD.

We both paid the same OTD price but you got ripped off and paid $532 more for the bike than me!

What are you paying for bike before state mandated fees? That's what counts.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jmlmjmjm; 10-18-2010 at 07:30 PM.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
OTD Price = total money out of your wallet
Cmoreride,

$5,500 out of my pocket! I take it home for that price. I don't even have to put gas in it.

An average, good or GREAT deal?

Quit busting my chops!

Shaun
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Shaun,

I get that but your states fees are most likely different than mine so there is no way to tell you if it's a good deal.

Example:

Let's say your state has a 2% vehicle tax and a $25 license fee, your purchase price would be $5367 leading to $5500 OTD.

In AZ (Phoenix) we pay 9.1% vehicle tax and a steep license fee (~$225 for Versys). My purchase price would be $4835 leading to the $5500 OTD.

A staggering $532 difference and we both paid the same OTD price but you got ripped off and paid $532 more for the bike than me!

What are you paying for bike before state mandated fees? That's what counts.
JM,

I understand the various state situations. I can take a 2009 home and put it in my garage for $5,500. Should I feel good about myself on a 2 year old (model year) bike or should I work it harder?

The base price of the bike is $3,988 then all the other stuff which equals $5,500 OTD.

Thanks for your help,

Shaun
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
JM,

I understand the various state situations. I can take a 2009 home and put it in my garage for $5,500. Should I feel good about myself on a 2 year old (model year) bike or should I work it harder?

The base price of the bike is $3,988 then all the other stuff which equals $5,500 OTD.

Thanks for your help,

Shaun
Shaun,

How do you feel about it? Comfortable? Is the dealer treating you right?

If so, buy it! You'll love the bike I don't care how much you pay. Remember this though..as soon as it's off the lot it's going to be worth ~$4-5K, no more. There are plenty of used around in the $4K range.

Ultimately, if you put some miles on it and enjoy it for a few years or more what you paid will be irrelevant.

Good luck.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 PM

I think it sounds good, wish I got mine for that price. I got my 09 green in the spring of 09, and got it for $300 under sticker or $6800 plus taxes and tags. But I don't regret it one bit, in the year and a half I have owned it I have had some great journeys.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Shaun,

How do you feel about it? Comfortable? Is the dealer treating you right?

If so, buy it! You'll love the bike I don't care how much you pay. Remember this though..as soon as it's off the lot it's going to be worth ~$4-5K, no more. There are plenty of used around in the $4K range.

Ultimately, if you put some miles on it and enjoy it for a few years or more what you paid will be irrelevant.

Good luck.
JM,

That's why I'm asking. I don't know how to feel about the deal. The dealer doesn't have a reputation of supporting the product in their service department, so I'll do my own maintenance or have to take it to another dealer for service.

I work for a company that builds products that are sold to dealers and the dealers are reluctant to perform warranty work on product not purchased from them.

I subject myself to buying a bike from one dealer but getting service from the dealer that didn't sell the bike. I know the problems that creates. Thus, I need to know that I most likely won't get a better deal as compensation for the servicing headaches I know will eventually present themselves.

Thanks for you replies, I appreciate them.

Shaun
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
I think it sounds good, wish I got mine for that price. I got my 09 green in the spring of 09, and got it for $300 under sticker or $6800 plus taxes and tags. But I don't regret it one bit, in the year and a half I have owned it I have had some great journeys.
Glow,

That is exactly what I was looking for. Any thoughts on a 2 year old model year VS the new 2011?

Thanks,

Shaun
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:59 PM

i paid 5250 OTD for new, never title green 09 about a month ago here in the atlanta area.

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indulf View Post
i paid 5250 OTD for new, never title green 09 about a month ago here in the atlanta area.
Indulf,

Did you have to fight for that deal? Did you get a helmet, jacket or anything else thrown in? That sounds fantastic!

Any idea why my dealer is asking $700 more for green? Was that your choice or would you have selected Blue?

Thanks Bud!

Shaun
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Cmoreride,

$5,500 out of my pocket! I take it home for that price. I don't even have to put gas in it.

An average, good or GREAT deal?

Quit busting my chops!

Shaun
I paid 8600.00 Can. OTD in April...got about $3000.00 of fun out of it since...about .30 cents per kilometer...I'd pay the extra for the Green again....they are just that much faster!...no regrets

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 10-18-2010 at 08:19 PM.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Glow,

That is exactly what I was looking for. Any thoughts on a 2 year old model year VS the new 2011?

Thanks,

Shaun
It all depends on which style you like the looks of better, and the fact that you can expect to pay at least $2000 more for the 2011. that money could help in some upgrades if you went with the 09, like more comfortable seat, luggage, and things of that nature. If it were me I would go with the 2009, cause I like the looks better than the 2010-11 just my 2 cents.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode