Versys rider wannabe - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys rider wannabe

Hi everyone!

Name's Alexei ("Alex" is also ok), from Moscow, Russia.

Currently aspiring to buy a Kawi Versys, 2010, although my local dealer suggests I wait for the 2011... My current mount is a medium sized Kawi Vulcan, 15 years service, 46000 km (half of them are mine). Modded it, and love it still - the bike saved my hide a few times, and served me well. However, time to move on...

Decided to have myself a brand new bike, and given the quality of Russian roads, a durable and off-roadish suspension rules. All the way.

To that end, a few questions to you experienced riders:

1) I am almost 2m tall (195 cm), and weigh 100 kg - is that bike fitting for me? I spent some time sitting on it, although no test rides, and I know little of it's ergos in motion.

2) I often travel with a passanger + luggage. Given section 1), can I hope to travel in comfort, if Versys (according to docs) has 7 HP more than my Vulcan?

3) As compared to the cruisers, the Versys has very high seat hight (comfy for me when I stand still, true). How does it behave in a strong sidewind?

In general, that's it. I would really appreciate your help on this.

Carpe Diem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
HI Alex

point 1, there are guys taller than you that ride versys
point 2, not sure if it will be comfortable, I am 80 kg and have taken my 60kg wife and 70kg son with luggage and not a big fan of long distance two ups but that more because i like to ride on my own and give the v heck in twisties so we got the wife her own bike.
point 3, Compared to a cruiser you will rock around in a wind, i have both a 800cc cruiser and the Versys but the V is way more fun than the wifes cruiser. Have rode in near gale force winds with a pillion, it was blown around but stayed on road but was hard work.
Phil
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
HI Alex

point 1, there are guys taller than you that ride versys
point 2, not sure if it will be comfortable, I am 80 kg and have taken my 60kg wife and 70kg son with luggage and not a big fan of long distance two ups but that more because i like to ride on my own and give the v heck in twisties so we got the wife her own bike.
point 3, Compared to a cruiser you will rock around in a wind, i have both a 800cc cruiser and the Versys but the V is way more fun than the wifes cruiser. Have rode in near gale force winds with a pillion, it was blown around but stayed on road but was hard work.
Phil
get the bike you want, not what the dealer deigns to sell you
theres no substantive difference in my books fromt he 2007 Versys to the current one, yes the bodywork was modified in 2020, and the there have been minor changes to other parts but theres been nothing serious changed.

perhaps the fuel mapping has been changed over time, who knows

the bike will work fine whether its a 2007 or 2011 or whatever

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Re: to Kiwi41

Thanks Phil, you really helped out!

1) that's great to hear, really.

2) Basically, I never carry THAT much luggage with me, around 15-20 kg tops. My passanger is around 60 kg also, so I guess this is fine. If it can accelerate and decelerate adequatly and run at around 130 km/h with that load, I have all reason to believe this is more than ok. Also I don't think I'll take a passanger in any road trip like "Moscow-Prague-Moscow", so it's just my weight + 20-25 kgs of luggage.

3) I myself seldom ride in gale force winds (usually due to the fact these often mean a rainstorm, and I'm not a fan), but if you rode with a pillion in that kind of weather, well, I guess I can control it while riding solo... Anyway, some food for thought indeed.

Thanks once again, man!

Carpe Diem
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
get the bike you want, not what the dealer deigns to sell you
theres no substantive difference in my books fromt he 2007 Versys to the current one, yes the bodywork was modified in 2020, and the there have been minor changes to other parts but theres been nothing serious changed.

perhaps the fuel mapping has been changed over time, who knows

the bike will work fine whether its a 2007 or 2011 or whatever
True enough.

It's a matter of finance for me right now, and also, after sticking to my Vulcan for a time, I have developed a sence that I would like a brand new ride, so of there are tech troubles, I'd have dealer's warranty to resolve the issue. No such luxury with a used bike - had to invest about a third of it's initial cost to fix and tune it here and there...

But to hear that all versys models work relatively the same and are of quality is good news to me!

Carpe Diem
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
HI Alex

not sure if it will be comfortable, I am 80 kg and have taken my 60kg wife and 70kg son with luggage and not a big fan of long distance two ups but that more because i like to ride on my own and give the v heck in twisties so we got the wife her own bike.

Phil
Did I read this right? You rode a versys with your wife AND son??? PLUS luggage? But... HOW? Is that even possible?

Carpe Diem
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:38 AM

I dont think anybody answered your crosswind question. I use my bike day in and day out almost always loaded and its fine in crosswinds. It behaves like a lighter bike meaning that you do have to work with it in winds exceeding 30 knots but its nimble and responds to rider input well under demanding conditions. Its a great all-around bike.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei View Post
Did I read this right? You rode a versys with your wife AND son??? PLUS luggage? But... HOW? Is that even possible?
no my Russia friend, they were not on bike at same time, it is possible but very uncomfortable
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
I dont think anybody answered your crosswind question. I use my bike day in and day out almost always loaded and its fine in crosswinds. It behaves like a lighter bike meaning that you do have to work with it in winds exceeding 30 knots but its nimble and responds to rider input well under demanding conditions. Its a great all-around bike.
I agree it is nimble and can be handled but due to its height is more exposed to winds compared to a lower centre of gravity cruiser. Have done a experiment with my wife by swapping in strong winds to her cruiser and she rode the V, the cruiser barley noticed the winds why the V leaned and moved around more on the road, she swapped back very fast.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
no my Russia friend, they were not on bike at same time, it is possible but very uncomfortable
Riiiiiight, my thoughts exactly...

Carpe Diem
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, that's reassuring. After having my butt that close to pavement as you get on cruisers, I was feeling a bit worried with seat hight 80+ cm above ground level. But, if it's controllable, a-ok.

Carpe Diem
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I agree it is nimble and can be handled but due to its height is more exposed to winds compared to a lower centre of gravity cruiser. Have done a experiment with my wife by swapping in strong winds to her cruiser and she rode the V, the cruiser barley noticed the winds why the V leaned and moved around more on the road, she swapped back very fast.
OK, so I'll have to re-learn ballance once again... I guess I'll go throug some riding classes before I take this bike out.

Carpe Diem
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Don't be put off, I am talking about some very strongs winds that I have rode the versys in, with the very dangerous sudden strong gusts.

Riding classes are a great idea, have you test rode a versys?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't be put off, I am talking about some very strongs winds that I have rode the versys in, with the very dangerous sudden strong gusts.

Riding classes are a great idea, have you test rode a versys?
Nope. We already have closed a season mostly here in Moscow (+3 to -2 outside), and my local dealer Kawi says they have no more incoming bikes to test ride, so this will have to be put off until spring 2011.

Riding classes is the only sane solution for me I think - in two years I scored 5 falls on my Vulcan, no damage thankfully (I don't count a few scratches on the mufflers as damage). And, well, that's riding a cruiser in our traffic. I shudder to think the same befalling my on something like the versys. I mean, neither the bike nor myself appear to be bulletproof. Or pavement-proof.

Carpe Diem
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

check this thread out about how to ride in Moscow http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...highlight=lane
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
check this thread out about how to ride in Moscow http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...highlight=lane
Scared the hell out of me. Does every time when I see such blundering idiots on sportbikes on our streets. You can't imagine the quantity of such "riders", mostly boys who got the cash from their wealthy parents, or young corporate emplyees looking to make a statement, or whatever. They buy used bikes, and voila!

It's good if they actually learn to ride BEFORE they purchase that toy, but... it's a rare case. And then they fill body bags. And stats charts claim bikes are a source of great danger. Yeah. Sure...

Carpe Diem
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

That guy could ride even with him being Moscow's no 1 idiot
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, well, to much of a price if you ask me.

One can be a pro without endangering civilians. He has reflexes, I'll give him that...

Carpe Diem
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:50 PM

One little move or a dead critter in the road and he would be toast. Take it to the track and live another day. By the way stupid riding is not owned entirely by sport bike riders.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
By the way stupid riding is not owned entirely by sport bike riders.
sad but true
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode