• 2 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By Smiley
  • 2 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Battery Removal-how to?

Trying to get the battery out of my 650LT and can not figure out how it comes out. Do I have to take the tank off??

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
You shouldn't have to. Maybe the 2015+ is different but My 2012 has the battery under the seat. Pull off the positive and negative leads and tuck them out of the way, the battery should just lift out. What is the issue that you are having?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
2015 Wiring / Very Short

Had a look at my 2015, the negative wire goes to the engine ground, it is that tight you won't get more than 1/8 inch movement. The battery will clear the seat/ gas tank mounting bracket, however , taking the bolts out of the mounting bracket would give extra room. As it is now, I could remove my battery, just by disconnecting the positive and negative, however I shimmed up my seat mounting bracket by 0.125 using fiberglass, this is in the way, so taking those mounting bolts out would make things much easier.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
You shouldn't have to. Maybe the 2015+ is different but My 2012 has the battery under the seat. Pull off the positive and negative leads and tuck them out of the way, the battery should just lift out. What is the issue that you are having?
I'm in the middle of adding electrical farkles and needed to temporarily remove the battery.

The rear gas tank mounting bracket sits over the negative terminal making it impossible to pull out with just your hands.

I finally got it out by using a pair of pliers and a coat hanger. Hooked the negative terminal with the coat hanger and tilted the battery rearward so that it would clear the tank bracket. Then, with the pliers on the positive terminal, lifted the whole thing out. I imagine I could have used two pliers and ditched the coat hanger. I'll have to try that next time.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
I'm in the middle of adding electrical farkles and needed to temporarily remove the battery.

The rear gas tank mounting bracket sits over the negative terminal making it impossible to pull out with just your hands.

I finally got it out by using a pair of pliers and a coat hanger. Hooked the negative terminal with the coat hanger and tilted the battery rearward so that it would clear the tank bracket. Then, with the pliers on the positive terminal, lifted the whole thing out. I imagine I could have used two pliers and ditched the coat hanger. I'll have to try that next time.
I normally use a similar method with a vise grip locked to the negative terminal and pull on that. You need to be careful attaching any tool to the pos terminal since if it strikes the frame will short and potentially cause damage to the battery.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Lanyard / Battery Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Additionally - I put one of those ID necklace-things (half-inch wide nylon to hold the ID pocket) around the battery. Then the NEXT time it has to be removed - it's EASY-PEASY!

Picture=1000 Words
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Ahh, kind of funny, I go out into my garage and look at my 2015, trying to figure out the problem, now that it has been posted, I added one of Eddies tricks, for future use.As to wiring, removing the main fuse or removing the positive battery terminal is all I ever do. I find the positive terminal is easier, take a plastic bag and slip over the connection cable and use a elastic or a couple wraps of tape, this covers the battery terminal , preventing accidental contact with your tools.
You can also use a coat hanger, bent in a U, slide it in on the positive end, slip it / work it / forward by lifting on the positive terminal, once past center , lift the battery out.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
...I finally got it out by using a pair of pliers and a coat hanger. Hooked the negative terminal with the coat hanger and tilted the battery rearward so that it would clear the tank bracket. Then, with the pliers on the positive terminal, lifted the whole thing out. I imagine I could have used two pliers and ditched the coat hanger. I'll have to try that next time.
onewizard added a pic of what I do w/ the 'lanyard' for easy removal, but I would caution AGAINST using metallic items to remove the battery in case you "short" it and end up w/ acid splashed from a blown-up battery, or fire.

onewizard and quexpress like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:45 PM

I hate to revive an old thread but in the versys manual it sounds like it's duck soup to pull the battery out of the bike. Totally different in real life --- specially when the garage is at 5 F. Will try it again tonight. Pictures of this process anyone?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Picture=1000 Words

Quote:
Additionally - I put one of those ID necklace-things (half-inch wide nylon to hold the ID packet) around the battery. Then the NEXT time it has to be removed - it's EASY-PEASY!

Picture=1000 Words

It's long enough that I have it wrapped around the battery twice, so to remove, AFTER disconnecting the battery leads, I just lift w/ one hand while using the other to 'maneuver' the battery....
Jay_Chicago likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Non Eddie method

The problem is the battery needs to come out vertical, going in gravity works, coming out a different matter. So to get around the problem, if you intend to bring the battery in for storage, couple things to do before you remove it. some pieces of hard board or even a plastic straw and place under the positive and negative nuts. Remove the cables then screw the bolts back into the battery. Without doing this the nuts will fall out and also it will make it difficult to start the thread of the bolt when installing later.
To remove if you aren't prepared like Eddie, use a coat hanger or small vise grips on the negative post, have a putty knife or thin screwdriver on the opposite side of the positive terminal, the idea is to provide some force towards the brake pedal side of the battery while pulling up on the negative terminal. I have also used a pair of channel lock pliers very gently on the acid fill ( nearest the rear of the bike)cover while pulling up on the negative terminal.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I normally use a similar method with a vise grip locked to the negative terminal and pull on that. You need to be careful attaching any tool to the pos terminal since if it strikes the frame will short and potentially cause damage to the battery.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the reason you always (car, truck, motorcycle) remove the negative terminal FIRST is that after doing so, even if you bump a ground object on your vehicle with the positive terminal, you still have not made a complete circuit back to the battery? I'm no electrician, but heck, my grandfather was

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Electrical 101 / Excellent!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the reason you always (car, truck, motorcycle) remove the negative terminal FIRST is that after doing so, even if you bump a ground object on your vehicle with the positive terminal, you still have not made a complete circuit back to the battery? I'm no electrician, but heck, my grandfather was
Correct, just curious how you would remove the battery with the negative wire still attached, or the positive wire. For the 2015 Versy 650 ABS all the wiring is short, including the engine ground / main ground, I usually recommend removing the positive wire, covering the battery with the electricians secret weapon ( cardboard) and putting a plastic bag over the positive wire . When doing this, use hardboard or a plastic straw under the positive battery nut.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:21 AM

I would recommend not using pliers, bent coat hanger, or any other metal object to remove battery.
Simply run a zip tie through the pos. post and one through the neg. post. cinch down leaving a loop large enough to get 2 fingers in each. Has always worked for me on all my bikes.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...To remove if you aren't prepared like Eddie, use a coat hanger or small vise grips on the negative post, have a putty knife or thin screwdriver on the opposite side of the positive terminal, the idea is to provide some force towards the brake pedal side of the battery while pulling up on the negative terminal. I have also used a pair of channel lock pliers very gently on the acid fill ( nearest the rear of the bike)cover while pulling up on the negative terminal.
I was ALWAYS under the impression that 'pliers' are GENERALLY a tool of LAST resort, and in all the years I've removed/installed batteries, I've NEVER used anything metal near the battery's 'posts'....
READ the following from Skypilot 69 about another SAFE way to remove the battery WITHOUT using anything metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
I would recommend not using pliers, bent coat hanger, or any other metal object to remove battery.
Simply run a zip tie through the pos. post and one through the neg. post. cinch down leaving a loop large enough to get 2 fingers in each. Has always worked for me on all my bikes.
-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
Why haven't I thought of that, it's so obvious once someone tells you about it

2015 Versys 650
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Nice post. Never knew that there was so much science/engineering in removing a battery..Replaced twice with no problem at all..
onewizard and Smiley like this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Nice post. Never knew that there was so much science/engineering in removing a battery. Replaced twice with no problem at all.
Likewise- I have used pliers dozens of times to remove batteries that are difficult, on my lawnmower, bikes etc. Just a matter of being careful and aware. YMMV
onewizard likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I was ALWAYS under the impression that 'pliers' are GENERALLY a tool of LAST resort, and in all the years I've removed/installed batteries, I've NEVER used anything metal near the battery's 'posts'....
READ the following from Skypilot 69 about another SAFE way to remove the battery WITHOUT using anything metal.

-
They don't call us sparkies for nothing, amazing how so much time can be spent discussing the removal of the battery, well it looks like this Sunday is ride time.
Fastoman and Jay_Chicago like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode