Punctured tires are breaking me - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Punctured tires are breaking me

Wondering if I'm just having unusually bad luck here. I've had my bike for a month and a half. At just under 1000 miles, my back tire picked up a small shard of metal. Not knowing any better, I assumed I could just plug it and keep going. But after getting lectured from friends and reading opinions on this forum, I decided to replace it. I needed some more aggressive tread for my dirt road anyway so I bought a set of Pirelli M60. Now, after less than 200 miles, I have another small hole in my back tire. I dont see the object that punctured it, but its a small hole in the groove between the tread knobs.

Do the people who get full tread life from their tires just have much better luck than me, or do yall patch/plug tires a keep riding them?

At this rate, I'm just going to have to plug my tires and take that risk, or give up motorcycling, because I cannot afford new tires every month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 AM

I plug-patch my tires . From the dunlop web site .

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info....asp?id=13#tip
You can also check out the bridgestone tire web site under tire tips
http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/...formation.aspx

Some punctures in motorcycle tires may be repaired.

Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum 1/4-inch diameter) tread area punctures from within the dismounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after repair and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected.

No form of temporary repair should be attempted because secondary damage caused by a penetrating object may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form of temporary repair, and they may adversely affect ply material and mask secondary damage caused by a penetrating object. Reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and accident

Last edited by turn8a; 10-17-2010 at 10:29 AM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:34 AM

I have plugged many a rear tire. And put thousands of miles on them.

HOWEVER

When I plug a front tire? It's just a temporary fix to get me to dealer or home where I promptly purchase a new front tire.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:00 AM

Plug it and ride is what I would do; but, it is your money and your life, so what do I know about that???
About patching from the inside, if you have to take the tire off anyway, you have spent a big part of the savings in time/hassle (or money if having done) that a simple insertion plug provides. It is like buying low mileage tires and paying the difference in installation costs; makes no sense!!!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Ok. good enough for me. I'm just going to plug it. seems even though there's a chance the plug would eventually come out, thats probably no more likely than me just getting a brand new hole with the way things are going. Thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:41 AM

i ran one rear tire with two plugs in it. i checked the tires pressure often, felt confident enough that i rode Deals's Gap with no issues, i put 5K miles on it...just check tire pressure more often than usual
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to snarky Send a message via MSN to snarky Send a message via Yahoo to snarky Send a message via Skype™ to snarky
Do what you feel comfortable with. These are tubeless tires it would be unreasonable to replace them after every puncture. Hell, they even sell motorcycle specific plugs, I had never seen a mushroom plug before I started looking at bike stuff, I had alway plugged tires with the plug strips before. I figured if I had a small hole I would plug it. If it was oddly shaped -IE not just a hole- I would patch it. If it was in the sidewall, it was a big or problematic hole (kept leaking), or if the tire looked shot anyway: I would replace it.

Of course, that's just what I would do. If I were someone with more money than brains or commonly doing triple digits, I would replace it.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 05:34 PM

Ride-On. It works.
http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
I have plugged many a rear tire. And put thousands of miles on them.

HOWEVER

When I plug a front tire? It's just a temporary fix to get me to dealer or home where I promptly purchase a new front tire.
This is what I was told. I got a flat with 1000 miles on my stock read and another one last week.. stuck a plug in it. Of course it depends where, what angle etc.

A guy I work with who commutes 95% of the year on a Hayabusa and has 40+ years on two wheels said there is a goo stuff that you pour in, roll around and then ride around for a bit and let dry... not sure what its called.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 07:56 PM

Ride on is fantastic stuff. I had used it for years before switching to Amerseal which is available at most NAPA stores. I use it in all my scoots and both trailers that I use behind the Big Scoot.

I replace any damaged front tire a.s.a.p. as well as any side wall damage to the rear. Sealants only work in the tread area. And side walls flex way to much to provide me with any comfort with any sort of fix.

Also the sealants work wonders in keeping your tires in balance and "I" believe helps to extend tire life.

insert usual disclaimer here.

YMMV

Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

thanks everyone for the input. Ive plugged the tire and will keep an eye on the pressures. I had dug around some on the forums when I had my first punture and the only opinions I saw at that time were that repairs are for absolute emergency use only. But Im glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks its just not feasible to replace a tire for every single wound. I'll heed the advise and be selective on when to try a repair and when to replace. Hope everyones upcoming week treats em well.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:16 PM

I'm personally a fan of patch-plugs. It's a plug with a patch on the top of it. Gives you double protection. The downside is that it has to be installed from the inside of the tire, so you've got to pay to get your tire pulled and re-mounted if you're not set up to do that yourself. Still, you have to pay that for a new tire too, and I figure it's better to buy a $5 patch plug than a $120 tire if the punctured tire is fairly new.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Never leave home with out them.

http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

the stop and go system looks awesome - Im gonna order that tonight.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Never leave home with out them.

http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp
Got one of these at Laguna Seca this year. Carry it with a CO2 inflator.
Neat tool.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 04:02 PM

I've plugged 3 MC tires and 7 car tires without any problems, leaks or failures ever.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 PM

I've only had 1 flat from a puncture and I have 29,000 miles on my bike. The more wore down your tire gets the more of a chance you have for a puncture actually giving you a flat tire. Sounds like you're just having bad luck. Now watch me get a flat next time I ride.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:42 PM

Two words of advice.

1. Ride on.

2. Avon Storms. Warrantied against road hazards. Excellent deal.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 PM

That is what I have on my bike now, Avon Storms. I put Dunlop Roadsmarts on twice. I like them but they seem to really flat spot in the middle after alot of miles. The Avons are flat spotting now but they are going to last longer than the Dunlops.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Photos of what i got from stop-n-go site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bleeper View Post
the stop and go system looks awesome - Im gonna order that tonight.
Some consider the pump a little pricey but the guy who installed all my electrical gadgets was very impressed with the quality of the unit. They have the lowest price on the tire monitoring system that i've found.Quite handy little gizmo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5058378088/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...n/photostream/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode