Versys vs. Ducati Multistrada 620 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys vs. Ducati Multistrada 620

Hello everyone. I am currently riding a 2006 Multistrada 620, but was wondering if anyone could give some honest comparisons to the Versys. I'm seriously thinking about moving over to the Versys, but have not been able to find ANY comparisons between the two bikes, due to the fact that the Multi was discontinued after '06, and the Versys didn't start getting reviews until Fall '07. If anyone has ANY information or expirence between the two bikes, I'd love to hear about it. I love my Multi, but between very poor dealer expirence, high costs for maintenance, and hard to find (+expensive!) parts, I'm ready to move back to a Jap brand.

Thanks!

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:50 AM

I like Ducati's also, but the high maint. costs, poor dealer network, and price have scared me off. The Versys 650 engine has proven very reliable for years in the 650R. Typical Japanese bike low cost low maint. good quality.

Also I see Ducati is discontinuing the 620 if they already haven't.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Versys

'15 DL1000
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
I like Ducati's also, but the high maint. costs, poor dealer network, and price have scared me off. The Versys 650 engine has proven very reliable for years in the 650R. Typical Japanese bike low cost low maint. good quality.

Also I see Ducati is discontinuing the 620 if they already haven't.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Versys
Yes, the 620 Multi was discontinued after the 2006 model year - it was only made in 2005 & 2006). The reason being two-fold. First, the MSRP on the bike was $8500. That in itself scared off many people looking for this type of bike. Those people chose to buy a V-strom 650, FZ6 Yammy, or even a Versys. Second, the 620 cost almost as much to make as the 1000cc (which is now an 1100cc), so profit margins were much smaller. There were also the morons who thought that a 620 Ducati was under powered and didn't have the guts to run with the big boys (which is utterly untrue in every aspect), and only looked at and bought the 1000 / 1100 Multistrada.

Hope that helps.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 PM

I'd be curious to see such a comparison myself. I was actually shopping for a Baby-Strada when I found the great deal on the Versys. Only ridden it for a couple of days now, but love the ride already. Plenty of power for beating the metro-DC traffic, and so much more maneuverable than the bike it replaces (Triumph Trophy). Only "issue" I have so for is that I don't feel quite as "sexy" as I did before! Strange thing to worry about, I know, especially since I was deliberately looking for something more practical for my type of use, but there it is anyway! I figure with the Duc that would NOT be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode