How much electrical load is safe to add to a 2008 Versys 650? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How much electrical load is safe to add to a 2008 Versys 650?

I'm taking a ride tomorrow and it will be pretty cool when we start out. I plan to use my Gerbing socks, gloves, and vest if it isn't too much load to add to the system. It would only be for a couple of hours and it will be connected directly to the battery via fused link. Less than 7 amps total draw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Stater Output/ Stator Testing/ Device load Ratings 2015

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/1116674-post4.html I have modified my post in How To, which now gives available Watts above Base load=174 Watts, divide the Watts by 14.2 VDC=12.25 amp .
I have included currents for heated grips and Gerbing jacket in that thread, so you have lots, FYI at idle you have about 36 watts above base load, so when idling you will be below 14.2 volts.
twowheels likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:32 AM

I have ridden my '08 V in the cold with electrically heated - jacket liner, pant liners, gloves, socks, grips, Garmin Zumo GPS, smaller LED fog lights and iphone - both with the original battery, and later with a Lithium battery, for 9 riding seasons - and I have experienced no problems.

But whenever I slow to 30 mph (passing through a small town) I do need to dial back the heat-troller to keep from getting too warm. But when traveling at 65 mph or so, there is a lot of "wind chill" effect, so I turn up the heat then. Fortunately the rpms are also up when riding at those speeds, and the electrical output is also up at those rpms.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglefti View Post
I'm taking a ride tomorrow and it will be pretty cool when we start out. I plan to use my Gerbing socks, gloves, and vest if it isn't too much load to add to the system. It would only be for a couple of hours and it will be connected directly to the battery via fused link. Less than 7 amps total draw.
I've found the best way to stay warm is heated jacket liner (with heated gloves), rather than a vest. It keeps arms warm, allows plugging in heated gloves to cuffs without the need for aux. wires, and heated collar eliminates need for balaclava to keep head and neck warm, it allows you to replace your insulated jacket liner with it unlike a vest and the cost difference with a vest is minimal. I wear this under an adv. style textile suit. Wind permeable jeans just don't work in cold weather. Waterproof motorcycle boots seem to keep my feet warm with just regular socks even in the coldest weather when the rest of my body is warm. When your core is warm you are able to maintain warm blood flow to the extremities.

A jacket liner on full draws uses about 100 watts. Heated gloves probably about 50. At idle this will draw more than the battery is charging but at cruising RPM should have enough power at 150 watts draw. I'm not sure what the exact level is that overloads the system but I would say you safely have enough power to power up to about 150 watts total accessory draw.

You can cut back on the power your jacket liner uses and get a more even warmth by wearing it under an insulated liner. Ironically most heated liners have no insulation. This allows you to turn down the heated liner and get a more even heat, at the cost of added bulk. That said, I usually replace my insulated liner with my heated liner unless it is close to freezing in which case I use both.

I love heated grips for their convenience but when it gets colder heated gloves provide a more even and comfortable heat and are more efficient in their use of power.
Smiley likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-24-2017 at 10:51 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies. This makes it easy for me. Onewizard, thanks for that link it makes it easy.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I TOO recommend the heated "jacket-liner" over the vest, for the same reasons.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 01:01 PM

Garage
I find my body is warm enough in the Olympia MotoQuest Jacket with the liners and a poloneck t-shirt - I don't even wear a sweater

But my hands are another story - i use Oxford heated grips and Venture Heat 12V Heated Carbon Gloves. I bought them for the built-in temperature controller. I now see on Revzilla some people have had trouble with them in the rain, but I haven't (yet).

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
...But my hands are another story....
Al - do you have any kind of handguards (barkbusters...) on your bike? I find that the plastic piece shields my hands enough to keep them warmer, and in fact, I remove the plastic once it gets warm to get airflow over my hands to cool them.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I have ridden my '08 V in the cold with electrically heated - jacket liner, pant liners, gloves, socks, grips, Garmin Zumo GPS, smaller LED fog lights and iphone - both with the original battery, and later with a Lithium battery, for 9 riding seasons - and I have experienced no problems.

But whenever I slow to 30 mph (passing through a small town) I do need to dial back the heat-troller to keep from getting too warm. But when traveling at 65 mph or so, there is a lot of "wind chill" effect, so I turn up the heat then. Fortunately the rpms are also up when riding at those speeds, and the electrical output is also up at those rpms.
This is good to know. It sounds like just a pair of heated gloves and a phone will be no problem at all.
You use heated gloves and heated grips?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Rode 216 miles Friday on my '08 (COLD weather!) w/ my heated jacket liner at 3 out of 5, LED bullet lites ON, and MANY LED turn, running, and brake lites. Voltage NEVER went below 13.8v DC.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interactive3 View Post
This is good to know. It sounds like just a pair of heated gloves and a phone will be no problem at all.
You use heated gloves and heated grips?
Yes, if it is really cold. But it feels like the heated gloves provide the majority of the heat.

I have Reynaud's Syndrome. When I'm out in the cold, that causes a nerve spasm that cuts of the flow of blood to my hands and feet. Then they get real cold and numb. My doctor told me that I could cure my issue by moving to Arizona. I chose electrically heated gear instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode