Using Swing-arm Stand on Lowered 650LT - difficult to raise & interference w/R Fender - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By captpfd
  • 1 Post By Green Streak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Using Swing-arm Stand on Lowered 650LT - difficult to raise & interference w/R Fender

Just lowered my 650LT with the Motowerks lowering kit and bumped in to a couple of side-effects that I have not seen in any of the discussions on the subject.

1. I've found that it makes putting the bike up on my Pitbull stand much harder.

2. To my dismay, when I remove the stand, I find that the stand hits the plastic fender flap that the license plate is attached to and twists it, thereby placing a lot of stress on the plastic itself as well as where it is mounted! (plastic piece HERE, part# 35019 and 019A).

Am I the only one who has noticed this (yes, I have searched for this)??

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 06:52 PM

Garage
I had the same problem with a non-lowered 2007.

After I broke the rear reflector I removed the number plate, cut the plastic tail at a point it couldn't be seen, doubled up about 3" of the plastic, drilled and bolted it together and put the plate back on.

No one can see the difference, the reflector still points backwards, and the stand doesn't hit any more

Instead of bolts you could use pop-rivits or glue but I had some 4mm x 13mm / 1/2" long bolts and washers sitting around.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people dont have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You can cut off the "tail" just below the license plate (what I did) or extend the arms on the stand (which I did also). No interference problem now.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
or extend the arms on the stand (which I did also). No interference problem now.
My Pitbull stand's arms do not extend.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 07:42 AM

The first thing I did when I got my LT last week was cut about six inches off the tail where it meet the license plate. Looks like it came that way from factory. Use a nice black license plate cover to finish the look off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04192.JPG (130.5 KB, 56 views)
quexpress likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
My Pitbull stand's arms do not extend.

I have the Harbor Freight stand and you can just unbolt the arms and move them about two inches. Re-drill one hole and it's extended. Pitbull stand must be different. Trimming the tail off just below the license plate is enough to do the trick though.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I 'sectioned' about 1.5" out of it, then 'pop-riveted' it back together, w/ a small piece of aluminum as a strengthener.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
The first thing I did when I got my LT last week was cut about six inches off the tail where it meet the license plate. Looks like it came that way from factory. Use a nice black license plate cover to finish the look off.
Excellent.

Where did you get the license plate frame? Dealers around here (Houston) used to give them to you for free if you were a regular customer but they don't anymore.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I 'sectioned' about 1.5" out of it, then 'pop-riveted' it back together, w/ a small piece of aluminum as a strengthener.]
Thanks a bunch for the detailed pics. That helps!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, so we've talked about one of the two problems with trying to put a lowered Gen 3 Versys up on a rear stand... the interference of the rear fender while trying to raise or lower the back end. The other problem is the greater physical effort required to get the bike up on the stand because it has been lowered.

My stand is a Pit Bull stand and the arms to which the spool forks are attached are not adjustable to make them shorter, so I need a stand with shorter arms. Anybody use a stand right now on a lowered gen 3 Versys that works well and has shorter arms? If so, what brand and do you have.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:02 AM

Quote:
OK, so we've talked about one of the two problems with trying to put a lowered Gen 3 Versys up on a rear stand... the interference of the rear fender while trying to raise or lower the back end. The other problem is the greater physical effort required to get the bike up on the stand because it has been lowered.

My stand is a Pit Bull stand and the arms to which the spool forks are attached are not adjustable to make them shorter, so I need a stand with shorter arms. Anybody use a stand right now on a lowered gen 3 Versys that works well and has shorter arms? If so, what brand and do you have.
I don't see why a lowering kit would make any difference - the spools are attached to the swing arm which is not affected by the lowering kit.
onewizard likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Lowered/ Waiting For a Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
I don't see why a lowering kit would make any difference - the spools are attached to the swing arm which is not affected by the lowering kit.
Yes, I was puzzled by the question about more difficulty on raising a lowered bike. My 07 was lowered and my 2015 is lowered, the distance is identical from the ground to the spools. A couple pointers, I looked at a pitbull stand that Kawdog had, which lifts from the front of the wheel,that was something I considered making and would be possible to use your foot to raise the bike, however, price was $200 plus, almost the cost of my 1000 LB hydraulic lift.
Second thing is the mod Eddie did, I installed Givi Trekker side cases and a E56 top case, part of the install is relocating the signal lights, this involves taking the tail section apart, including a screw right by the reflector. You pop rivet it together, only one way it is coming back apart.Yes I have the same stand everyone else has, I extended the handle using 1 1/2 square aluminum tubing. Generally I use my prop stand 80% of the time and my Harbor freight stand 20% . The advantage of the Harbor Freight is that I don't need to take off both side cases to lube the chain like I do using the prop stand, however I don't like the fact the whole rear end is in the air, several times I have had the aluminum POS flex and it came close to going over, just remember where you are in relation to the bike. The prop stand is 100%, unless the side stand fails , and that is why I use it 80% of the time.

Here is a link to my stand and the pitbull, my stand is the same as post 17, the pitbull is post 33 and 34
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...r-methods.html

Last edited by onewizard; 02-13-2017 at 06:35 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
Don't know. All I can tell you is that using the same stand, I could get the bike up just fine using my arm on my '09 Versys, but on the one time I raised the lowered '16 LT, I had to use my leg to press the stand down. Maybe it had to do with the rear fender/reflector getting temporarily hung up on the stand?? If that's the case, it should lift just fine once I've bobbed the fender.

Last edited by Wolfcamp; 02-13-2017 at 06:54 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
The other problem is the greater physical effort required to get the bike up on the stand because it has been lowered.
I have noticed that on mine also. IMHO it's because the center of gravity of the whole bike (weight in front of the swingarm) has been lowered. It therefore takes more effort to raise the bike.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode