a rag busted my engine case? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
a rag busted my engine case?

Yesterday I was messing with the bike, took it for a short spin down the gravel driveway, across the yard and around the house.. 2 min. When I parked it by the garage I looked down and saw something running/dripping. motor oil. it was all over but mostly coming from under the primary cover. Also I noticed a piece of an oil rag that had been in my pocket, now caught the back sprocket and twisted around the axle.

I removed the CS sprocket cover and chunks of oily broken metal fell out and clearly it was the source of my oil problem. The rest of the rag was still there trapped behind the sprocket.

Apparently that rag went around the cs under the chain. The resulting bulge in the chain broke the casting that serves as chain guard, and the pieces of that broke a bolt on "oil tube" just to the front and slightly above the sprocket. Since this tube is bolt-on, not part of the case so I may not be screwed yet there. the lower part of the chain tunnel is the transmission cover. it got chewed up pretty good too and has some cracks.

While case is broken, it may not be compromised.. just some external casting features I hope. Man am I lucky or what, a rag wreaks havoc.. what are the odds. you could probably ride a million miles with a hundred rags in a hundred pockets and not do this again. post pics in a minute from cell phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
People don't realize how serious riding a motorcycle is. You got off lucky. Could have been going fast and rear wheel lock up.

I know people who have had a spare helmet get tangled up in the back wheel. Camping gear that was not lashed down correctly freeze up the rear wheel. Shoe lace get caught up when trying to put a foot down and over they went. Pant cuff caught and down they went.

If you have ever worked with machinery, you know never to have anything on you that can get caught up in the machinery.

I am fortunate to have learned my lessons on bicycles at a young age, and thankful my first street bike had a drive shaft.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

really, you call that lucky?

Last edited by ddlewis; 01-16-2017 at 09:45 AM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 AM
FMB

Garage
Ouch! Thank the stars you're OK. Learn something new every time I'm here.

I see my therapist every day. He's Labrador Retriever named Monty.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

in the top picture you can see the oil tube.. says 0046-2. that's the broken bolt on oil journal that I HOPE is where all the oil came from. I've got it pushed together in the pick but it was cracked in two.

The bottom pic.. re: black surface with the two parallel grooves cut in it by the chain. I think that is part of the tranmission cover and replaceable. in addition to the grooves you can see it is also cracked. I'll get that off today and see what else might be broken. if nothing - maybe I can order this cover and that tube and not be DOA.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:49 AM
jpd

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
It adds a new respect to trying to avoid trash and debris on the road. I am glad YOU are ok. It could have been a whole lot worse. We have all had trash kicked up at us, if it wraps around axle, chain, shaft, or covers the radiator it can cause problems.
I know that the source of your problem came form your own pocket so that is just another item to check before we roll.
Mine was a rear rack tie down that worked its way to the rear tire. A loud pop and big bump in the controls. I got lucky and the strap broke and didn't lock up the rear wheel at ""55"" mph.

Jeff

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

on this particular "ride" I had just adjusted my new handlebars - protapers w/rox risers on my newly fabbed home brew riser setup.. so I was wearing no helmet, work boots, jeans and a sweatshirt. ride length of 500-1000 yards total at max ~25mph over dirt/grass/gravel. So this was just a fart around the yard excursion not a real hit the road ride. hence my lack of care on the pocket rag.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
New Parts required

There is very little clearance around the counter shaft sprocket, under the right circumstances a lot of force can be applied, I would say you need some new castings. What about the speed pickup sensor, any damage?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
There is very little clearance around the counter shaft sprocket, under the right circumstances a lot of force can be applied, I would say you need some new castings. What about the speed pickup sensor, any damage?
speedo pickup unscathed.

by "castings" do you mean the engine cases? I'm really hoping not and the damage to them are of the non oil leaking superficial type.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
speedo pickup unscathed.

by "castings" do you mean the engine cases? I'm really hoping not and the damage to them are of the non oil leaking superficial type.
That's a tough call.. Looking at that I'd be like you, hoping I dont "NEED" a case. But it sure looks like you would be a tad more worry free if you replaced it..I know that's a job though. Can you do it or would you need to have someone else take over for you..big difference in price.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
FWIW - IF it's just some 'surface' cracks - perhaps you can "fix them" w/ JB Weld...?
turn8a likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

I bought this bike wrecked and still have very little in it.. If case is busted it will likely go back to craigslist/ebay from whence it came, only this time in pieces.

But it's looking good to get fixed. I cleaned and inspected very closely with bright lights.. don't see any trouble. Took off the shifter housing and it only had that slight superficial crack on the outside you can see in the picture and the grooves cut into it. Not even going to replace that, maybe resurface/shore it up with jb weld and only have to buy that external oil journal/tube.

trying to decide if I should try to rebuild that chain fling delfector with flashing? and jbweld.. or just forget about it.

FastEddy, I'm a jbweld man can you tell?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
really, you call that lucky?
Considering your lack of gear, Damn Straight!

I can't tell you how many times I have heard or read about a guy wrecking who had just modded his bike and was only 'test' riding the mod so didn't bother to put gear on.
onewizard and quexpress like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

I can't tell you how many times I have heard or read about a guy wrecking who had just modded his bike and was only 'test' riding the mod so didn't bother to put gear on.
I hesitate to get into this.. but c'mon man get real - you're going to suit up in full riding gear to ride a big low speed circle around your property?

If so more power to you, but in my 40 years of motorcycles this is probably the most far out misfortune I can recall. A cotton rag falls out of my pocket and by freak of luck gets sucked up and wads up under the chain to break my engine. wth? Mythbusters couldn't replicate it in a hundred years.

Guess I'm lucky that a meteorite didn't' hit me too.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
I hesitate to get into this.. but c'mon man get real - you're going to suit up in full riding gear to ride a big low speed circle around your property?

If so more power to you, but in my 40 years of motorcycles this is probably the most far out misfortune I can recall. A cotton rag falls out of my pocket and by freak of luck gets sucked up and wads up under the chain to break my engine. wth? Mythbusters couldn't replicate it in a hundred years.

Guess I'm lucky that a meteorite didn't' hit me too.
Well if you did get hit and survived, you could be worth a fortune, just make sure you keep the meteorite safe, and we want part of the publicity action too

Okay, if you have been on this forum long enough, You might have been asked if that broke trying to remove the counter sprocket, and just used the rag as a excuse FYI we got freezing rain here, just finished stapling the cover back onto the seat after modding the foam,

On a serious note, I would consider adding a piece of 1/8 rubber to the counter sprocket cover and extend it forward to catch the fling off from the sprocket, last thing you need is a piece braking off onto the chain.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Holy guacamole........

If a rag does that much damage - I'm going shopping right now for a skid plate...... like someone else said "road debris"

Good post !

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Okay, if you have been on this forum long enough, You might have been asked if that broke trying to remove the counter sprocket, and just used the rag as a excuse
ha.. well, that's a fair point. Breaking stuff during maintenance is one of my skillz.. They don't call them "breaker bars" for nothing right? I tend to keep those stories to myself.
Quote:
On a serious note, I would consider adding a piece of 1/8 rubber to the counter sprocket cover and extend it forward to catch the fling off from the sprocket, last thing you need is a piece braking off onto the chain.
Hey that's a good idea! work from the cover instead of the motor.. and rubber too vs something hard aka future shrapnel. I'm going with that.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

I had modded an ATV trailer so I could carry my Yam SR500 on it, and was going to ride the bike up the ramp and on, to check it out. My brother suggested I wear a helmet. I thought that was a BIT excessive, but grabbed one and put it on.

Started the bike, 'snicked' it into first gear, started UP the ramp - and the NEXT thing I'm on the pavement on my left side, after smacking my head as I landed, from on top of the trailer, probably 5 or 6' drop, head-to-pavement.

THANKS for the suggestion, Bro...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:15 PM

Wowsa, just saw this. I've seen instances where people have had their case welded with the engine in place. My brother had it done successfully.
It takes a specific welder who can work with cast aluminum. And he's got to be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode